Low-pitched meow??

Sierra977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was the first time I heard the weeks old long-hair black Wanda Belle kitten "meow" and it sounds different any of our other cats. Wanda Belle's meow is softer and much lower pitch, almost hoarse. The house was quiet when I first heard the sound and it took me a minute to realize it was the kitten. Thought perhaps she was fighting with the other kitten but she was just signaling "feed me". Kitten's attitude is good, not aggressive except for play.

Any significance attached to "growly" meows?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time, no. Cats just have different meows and if you have a bunch of cats you can usually tell one from another by the meow. On top of that, their meow can change depending on what they are asking for or meowing about.

But, you don’t want to assume that is the case. First, check the kittens mouth to make sure they don’t have something stuck. And you may want to have your vet check the kitten’s throat as well. I had a kitten who regularly got tonsillitis and her only symptom was that her voice would get hoarse.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Each cat or kitten will have their own unique meows when it comes to their human communication meows. Chirping, growling and other sounds meant to communicate with other cats will be fairly standard. You'll learn your kittens meowing given some time. My girl was feral until 3 months old and rarely made any noises for the first year. Once she did gain her meow, it sounds like a frog croak meow. My vet once thought I snuck in a second cat because she was hiding under the counter and my vet swore my girl couldn't have made that sound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sierra977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006
Yes it could be tonsillitis of similar. I live with three MDs and we will take a peek down Wanda's throat.

Kieka Kieka
I too had difficulty understanding how that noise came of out that little cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I too had difficulty understanding how that noise came of out that little cat.
The funny part for me is that my moms 9 pound black cat has this tiny baby meow that is almost a squeak. Whereas my girl who is 7 pound with tiny dainty features and giant blue eyes sounds like she swallowed a frog.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My Murphy girl (RIP) was the one who repeatedly had tonsillitis as a kitten. She was the tiniest, most delicate looking cat, never making it much over five pounds and always looking like she wasn’t being fed properly. But when she opened her mouth, it was a big cat noise that came out. I always said her meows were loud enough to break glass and peel wallpaper off the walls.