Low Phosphorus Homemade And Balance It?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, am looking for a homemade replacement for Radcat for my kitty with CKD.

Has anyone heard of/tried Balance IT, specifically the K formula that's supposed to be lower in phosphorus? Balance IT is the homemade cat food supplement that my vet is familiar with, and I'm wondering how it compares to EZ complete, and I'm considering it just based on the fact that EZ complete is designed for healthy cats, and my CKD cat is not healthy. I'm wondering if it's all that different, and if not, would one be better? It seems that Balance IT still requires supplementation with omega fatty acids at least, but EZ complete does not, and EZ complete looks less expensive.

Balance IT might be a good option for cats with protein allergies too, because it uses plant-derived supplements instead of animal ones. Not an issue for us, but maybe something other people might need.

I think you do need veterinary approval to buy the Balance IT though. Their website has a nice option for creating a custom recipe for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, thank you! I will look into the TC feline supplement. Hilary's Blend looks interesting, but I don't think I can get it in the US. But thank you!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: my vet really likes the TC Feline, so I think I will try this and see how it goes!

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I see you already decided against BalanceIT, so this may not matter. I tried it maybe four years ago with cooked turkey. The cats did not like it at all, and I ended up tossing it.

My only concern with the TCFeline special formula is the inclusion of xantham gum. My male cat has a lot of sensitivities, and this is one of the suspected ingredients. So keep an eye on your CKD kitty to see how he/she does. If that does not work out, you might try AlNutrin with calcium (though you need to add liver) or the EZ Complete. Both of these companies provide samples.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She's been on canned before I started trying raw and did not have an issue with any of the gums that I noticed, but I will see how it goes.