Low Phosphorous Wet Cat Food List

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I noticed Evangers has a variety out now that they're touting as low phos, but I apologize, I haven't had a chance to look at the numbers.

Evanger's EVx Restricted Diet: Low Phosphorus Beef Wet Cat Food - 5.5 Oz.

Daves pet food does as well;

Dave's Pet Food Restricted Diet for Kidneys Low Phosphorus & Low Protein
Thanks for posting this! Majority of the Evanger's EVx beef ingredients look good, based on numbers on their website, I calculated a dry matter basis of 50% protein (they list 9% min, on as fed basis) and 0.56% phosphorus (they list 0.10% min, on as fed basis).

A couple things raised flags though... Am curious what anyone thinks about the tomato paste as 4th ingredient in Evanger's food? I keep reading conflicting info about whether tomato is toxic to cats, it seems unusual to add to cat food... Then on the F&H link, why would they have a PROP 65 warning for the product, maybe chemicals are in the metal of the cans? Or pesticide on the tomatoes used? There's no mention of this found yet on the main Evanger's website. 🤔

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi-you could contact evangers directly and ask them about these issues.

Oh, isn't prop 65 for California? Is that where you are?

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi-you could contact evangers directly and ask them about these issues.

Oh, isn't prop 65 for California? Is that where you are?
Hi, will see what they say... I'm on the east coast, but always assumed if a product has a chemical warning label for California, it would contain same toxins anywhere else it lives

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
misterginja misterginja thank you! I'll try to get the list updated soon with the new foods others have listed. sorry to hear about your cat and his stomach issues with kidney foods. I know what a struggle it is to find something they will a) eat, b) is good for them, c) ticks all the boxes of what they can/cannot eat. I wish you the best finding the right food for your kitty. <3

Thank you. I miss her so much still over a year later, but she gave me so many wonderful happy memories that fill my heart with joy. I have a geriatric CKD foster cat now and I am taking what I learned from her to help take care of this cat and try to give her the best she deserves! It's all we can do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
List updated today:

Also will add these are only as accurate as when I filled in the info based on the company's website/communication with them so recipes may change. Please verify information before feeding your cat and I take no responsibility/liability for potential problems nor am I offering official medical advice with this list.

Prescriptions diets by Hill's and Royal Canin are also options for low phosphorous CKD cat foods.

On another note, FYI - I contacted Applaws to ask whether they had phosphorous content information to share and they essentially told me not to feed a CKD cat their foods because they contain too much phosphorous being mostly just meat.

BrandLineFlavorDryMatterPercentConsistencyProtein1Protein2Protein3comment
DavesRestricted Diet Phosphorus – Chicken & Chicken Recipe Paté in Juice Chicken0.15patewebsite does not specificy if phosphorous content is on a dry matter basis or not but one would assume a food marked as "low phosphorous" would be ok?
Dr ElseysClean ProteinChicken0.97pate
Dr ElseysClean ProteinDuck and Turkey0.95pate
Dr ElseysClean ProteinDuck0.96pate
Dr ElseysClean ProteinPork0.93pate
Dr ElseysClean ProteinTurkey0.99pate
Dr ElseysClean ProteinBeef0.93pate
Dr ElseysClean ProteinSalmon1.07pate
Dr ElseysClean ProteinRabbit1.09pate
EvangersEVX Restricted: Low PhosphorusBeef0.1beefwebsite does not specificy if phosphorous content is on a dry matter basis or not but one would assume a food marked as "low phosphorous" would be ok?
Feline NaturalLamb and King Salmon Feast1.05lambsalmon
Forza10Renal Support?lambchickenpork
Honest KitchenGrain FreeChicken1.01
Honest KitchenMinced Chicken in Bone Broth Gravy0.61mincedchicken
Honest KitchenMinced Turkey in Bone Broth Gravy0.8mincedturkey
Hound and GatosSalmon Mackerel and Sardine1.04fish
IdentityBison0.57
IdentityDuck0.75
IdentityTurkey0.77
IdentityQuail and Turkey0.77
IdentitySalmon and Herring0.78fish
KohaPoke BowlTuna and Beef0.7fish
KohaPoke BowlTuna and Pumpkin0.74fish
KohaPoke BowlTuna and Lamb0.79fish
KohaPoke BowlTuna and Shrimp0.8fish
KohaLIDChicken Shredded LID0.8
KohaPoke BowlTuna and Turkey0.91fish
KohaPoke BowlTuna and Duck0.62fish
KohaPoke BowlTuna and Chicken0.78fish
KohaPoke BowlTuna and Salmon0.74fish
LotusJuicyCat Juicy Turkey Recipe0.88shreddedturkey
LotusJuicyCat Juicy Chicken Recipe0.98shreddedchicken
LotusPateRabbit0.96paterabbit
LotusPateTurkey1.02pateturkey
Nature's LogicFeline Beef Feast0.82beefsardines
Open FarmBeef0.7pate
Open FarmTurkey0.8pate
RawzShredded Chicken Breast and Egg0.68shreddedchickenegg
SoulisticHydrating PureesChicken Dinner0.8pureechicken
SoulisticHydrating PureesChicken and Turkey0.8pureechickenturkey
SoulisticMoist and TenderChicken Dinner0.69chunks in gravychickentuna
SoulisticMoist and TenderTurkey Dinner0.71chunks in gravyturkeytuna
Tiki CatAfter DarkChicken0.87chicken
WeruvaBFF PlayCherish0.71
WeruvaBFF OMGStir It Up0.72
WeruvaBFF OMGLive N' Love0.71
WeruvaBFF OMGCloud 90.73
WeruvaBFF OMGDream Team0.77
WeruvaBFF OMGBe Happy0.77
WeruvaBFF OMGDevour Me0.72
WeruvaBFF OMGStart Me Up0.75
WeruvaBFF OMGChase Me0.75
WeruvaBFF OMGTell Me0.75
WeruvaBFF OMGSeeya Sooner0.86
WeruvaBFF OMGCrazy 4 U0.84
WeruvaBFF OMGLights Out0.78
WeruvaBFF OMGCharm Me0.79
WeruvaBFF OMGTickles0.79
WeruvaBFF PlayCheckmate0.71patechicken
WeruvaBFF PlayTiptoe0.71patechickenturkey
WeruvaBFF PlayTopsy Turvy0.71patechickenturkey
WeruvaBFF PlayLaugh Out Loud0.82patechickenbeef
WeruvaBFF PlayTake a Chance0.81pate
WeruvaBFF PlayDestiny0.87pate
WeruvaBFF PlayBest Buds0.91patechickenbeef
WeruvaCats in the KitchenChick Magnet0.67
WeruvaCats in the KitchenLa Isla Bonita0.77fish
WeruvaCats in the KitchenFrick 'A Zee0.81
WeruvaCats in the KitchenPate Meowiss Bueller0.85pate?
WeruvaCats in the KitchenFowl Ball0.89shreddedchickenturkey
WeruvaPatePress Your Lunch1.12patechicken
WeruvaPateJeopurrdy Licious0.8
WeruvaPateFamily Food1.2
WeruvaStewsGoody Stew Shoes0.71
WeruvaStewsWhat a Crock0.71
WeruvaStewsSimmer Down0.71
WeruvaStewsStew's Clues0.71
WeruvaStewsStir the Pot0.9
WeruvaStewsStewy Lewis0.92
WeruvaTruluxeSteak Frites0.57
WeruvaTruluxeOn the Cat Wok0.74
WeruvaGlam N' Punk0.93
WeruvaGrandma's Chicken Soup0.77
WeruvaBFF OMGLove Munchkin0.89
WeruvaPaw Lickin' Chicken0.81shreddedchicken
WeruvaBFF OMGBaby Cakes0.78
WeruvaWx Phos FocusTilapia & Tuna Formula in a Hydrating Purée0.32pureetilapiachicken*not a complete diet. consult vet.
WeruvaWx Phos FocusTilapia & Chicken Formula in a Hydrating Purée0.28pureetilapiachicken*not a complete diet. consult vet.
WeruvaWx Phos FocusChicken Formula in Gravy0.42gravychicken*not a complete diet. consult vet.
WeruvaWx Phos FocusChicken & Tilapia Formula in Gravy0.35shreddedchickentilapia*not a complete diet. consult vet.
WeruvaWx Phos FocusChicken Formula in a Hydrating Purée0.39pureechicken*not a complete diet. consult vet.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting this! Majority of the Evanger's EVx beef ingredients look good, based on numbers on their website, I calculated a dry matter basis of 50% protein (they list 9% min, on as fed basis) and 0.56% phosphorus (they list 0.10% min, on as fed basis).

A couple things raised flags though... Am curious what anyone thinks about the tomato paste as 4th ingredient in Evanger's food? I keep reading conflicting info about whether tomato is toxic to cats, it seems unusual to add to cat food... Then on the F&H link, why would they have a PROP 65 warning for the product, maybe chemicals are in the metal of the cans? Or pesticide on the tomatoes used? There's no mention of this found yet on the main Evanger's website. 🤔
Hi, wanted to update on info received from Evanger's, in case it helps anyone --- they said their canned EVX beef, on a dry matter basis has 0.5% phosphorus, 50-55% protein, 20-25% fat, and 0.3-0.35% sodium (said they don't add salt, that it's natural from the raw materials).

Also they replied that tomatoes aren't toxic, but high in acidity (they say cats really like tomatoes or tomato paste due to it being palatable). I did read that unripened green tomatoes and the leaves/stems are toxic though, but the red ripe tomatoes are not. I'd have to do more research before knowing if it's a safe ingredient for CKD cats to eat every day, because of the high acidity.

And Evanger's said the PROP 65 warning shouldn't be there, as the cans are BPA free.