Low-cost Spay/neuter Clinics

Hazelnutlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take care of feral cats where I live. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a low-cost animal clinic in my area.

I've called around several places and have basically gotten the same answer. No one is willing to offer me an affordable package for spaying or neutering because I'm not a foster or affiliated with local shelters.

I live in Lorain, Lorain County, Ohio.

Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hazelnutlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Haven't tried the alleycat.org avenue. I'll see what I can find.

I know there's places that do it for $10/cat, but no one will do that for me because I'm not a shelter. I have app 15-20 cats to get fixed!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can ask a shelter if they will work with you so that you can get their prices.

Some shelters will agree because they are fully committed to TNR for all stray/feral cats.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm surprised you're hearing that you can't get a reduced price at a clinic because you're not a shelter or fostering for one? Most Spay/Neuter clinics do a large amount of their work for individuals like yourself trying to help reduce colony sizers, or people who could't afford to go through a vet, etc. I'm not saying it's possible you've called the one or two that won't do that - - -but know it's really rare -- - at least in the US.

I will say finding someone to do $10 a cat might be difficult (in our town in Ohio, we have one spay/neuter clinic and they're $25 per feral cat. And that's feral only - - you have to bring the cat into the clinic in a trap and be willing to let them eartip the kitty so that he's identified as already being spayed/neutered (they definitely don't want to put kitties through the stress of putting them under and opening them up only to find they've already been fixed!). They do do "friendly strays" and owned cats - - but those cost more.

That said - - any clinics you DO find - - try to talk to someone at the clinic in person if possible, or at least over the phone. Avoid trying to talk to them when they're overwhelmed with tons of people coming in to spay/neuter - - - usually Mondays - or day after a holiday - - is particularly crammed & crazy for workers/intake people/vets at these places, and it's often hard for them to focus past the tons of people standing in front of them! To give you an example - normally our local clinic has 3 or 4 people in their lobby in the morning hour and a half that they check in trapped ferals - - but Mondays and days post holiday they sometimes have 30-40 people waiting to check in!!! So you'll have better luck talking to them if you avoid those times! And by talking to someone at any clinics you see - not only can you find out what packages they offer/what they require - - but you can also ask if they do cheaper spays/neuters for specific zip codes (where I live - - some zip codes are like mine - - where it costs $25 for the basic spay/neuter but you can add rabies vaccines, etc. for a small additional fee- which we always do -- but in the zip code adjacent to me, they do it for free if you produce your driver's license showing you live in that zip code. They'll know if they're doing any zip code specials like that - - or if they have any upcoming specials). It NEVER hurts to ask!!!! And if you can't utilize them, they may be able to offer other places you can try.

Also - ask your vet or local Humane Society, etc. - - - they may know of places who do reduced spay/neuters. Definitely contact Alley Cat Allies - - check their website as you can even call them if you're confused (you may need to leave an answering machine note - - -but they've always gotten back to me within 48 hours!

A quick google search yielded at least one specialty low-cost clinic fairly near you (I know Medina's like a 30-40 minutes from you). It wouldn't be that bad - - we drive 30 minutes to get to ours too - as it's in the totally opposite part of our town.

kittenkrazy
Quick Fix Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic
930 Lafayette Rd, Medina, OH 44256
(330) 558-1540

On their website they talk about their Feral Cat Program. Info off their site says that they fix feral (wild or untamed) cats for $30 and include a rabies vaccination.
They note that feral cats must be brought in a humane trap, and All feral cats not brought in a trap will be charged a $10 transfer fee.
No appointment necessary– drop off during business hours Tuesday thru Thursday. Feral cats can be kept overnight free up to two nights (depending on date of surgery). All ferals will receive an ear tip and tattoo. Requested additional services are charged at regular rates.

\

Good luck! I know everyone on this site feels as I do - - - SO happy you're willing to undertake this! You'll be saving SO many kittens from being born feral - - only to die (sometimes along with the mother!) because the feral life is so difficult. Keep us posted on how things go - - - you'll definitely be making a BIG difference!

Hazelnutlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised you're hearing that you can't get a reduced price at a clinic because you're not a shelter or fostering for one? Most Spay/Neuter clinics do a large amount of their work for individuals like yourself trying to help reduce colony sizers, or people who could't afford to go through a vet, etc. I'm not saying it's possible you've called the one or two that won't do that - - -but know it's really rare -- - at least in the US.

I will say finding someone to do $10 a cat might be difficult (in our town in Ohio, we have one spay/neuter clinic and they're $25 per feral cat. And that's feral only - - you have to bring the cat into the clinic in a trap and be willing to let them eartip the kitty so that he's identified as already being spayed/neutered (they definitely don't want to put kitties through the stress of putting them under and opening them up only to find they've already been fixed!). They do do "friendly strays" and owned cats - - but those cost more.

That said - - any clinics you DO find - - try to talk to someone at the clinic in person if possible, or at least over the phone. Avoid trying to talk to them when they're overwhelmed with tons of people coming in to spay/neuter - - - usually Mondays - or day after a holiday - - is particularly crammed & crazy for workers/intake people/vets at these places, and it's often hard for them to focus past the tons of people standing in front of them! To give you an example - normally our local clinic has 3 or 4 people in their lobby in the morning hour and a half that they check in trapped ferals - - but Mondays and days post holiday they sometimes have 30-40 people waiting to check in!!! So you'll have better luck talking to them if you avoid those times! And by talking to someone at any clinics you see - not only can you find out what packages they offer/what they require - - but you can also ask if they do cheaper spays/neuters for specific zip codes (where I live - - some zip codes are like mine - - where it costs $25 for the basic spay/neuter but you can add rabies vaccines, etc. for a small additional fee- which we always do -- but in the zip code adjacent to me, they do it for free if you produce your driver's license showing you live in that zip code. They'll know if they're doing any zip code specials like that - - or if they have any upcoming specials). It NEVER hurts to ask!!!! And if you can't utilize them, they may be able to offer other places you can try.

Also - ask your vet or local Humane Society, etc. - - - they may know of places who do reduced spay/neuters. Definitely contact Alley Cat Allies - - check their website as you can even call them if you're confused (you may need to leave an answering machine note - - -but they've always gotten back to me within 48 hours!

A quick google search yielded at least one specialty low-cost clinic fairly near you (I know Medina's like a 30-40 minutes from you). It wouldn't be that bad - - we drive 30 minutes to get to ours too - as it's in the totally opposite part of our town.

kittenkrazy
Quick Fix Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic
930 Lafayette Rd, Medina, OH 44256
(330) 558-1540

On their website they talk about their Feral Cat Program. Info off their site says that they fix feral (wild or untamed) cats for $30 and include a rabies vaccination.
They note that feral cats must be brought in a humane trap, and All feral cats not brought in a trap will be charged a $10 transfer fee.
No appointment necessary– drop off during business hours Tuesday thru Thursday. Feral cats can be kept overnight free up to two nights (depending on date of surgery). All ferals will receive an ear tip and tattoo. Requested additional services are charged at regular rates.

\

Good luck! I know everyone on this site feels as I do - - - SO happy you're willing to undertake this! You'll be saving SO many kittens from being born feral - - only to die (sometimes along with the mother!) because the feral life is so difficult. Keep us posted on how things go - - - you'll definitely be making a BIG difference!
Thank you so much for the info! I've contacted my local "humane society." I had to send an email. That was on Tuesday and I have yet to get a response.

I also have looked at the place in medina, and I saw nothing about the feral/stray stuff, just $60 or $65/cat which is way out of my budget. I will look again! Thank you!!

I think it's horrible, too, that my own vet that I've taken my pets to for years won't give a break.

I've been very discouraged lately by all this and you have given me hope again.

Thanks so much

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's harder than it should be. Keep trying, it's worth it. Good luck.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 - - I looked at that 4 Pets Clinic also (the link again is 4 Pets Clinic Spay & Neuter Information ) - - it's a tad more expensive (online it says that cats are $45 for males/$60 for females) than the one that's further from you kittenkrazy in Medina. My earlier link didn't take you to the exact spot where they specifically discuss ---but this link should. You have to go to the bottom of the page that I linked here ---they very specifically talk about trapped ferals at the VERY bottom of the page of the link I posted - - which is $30 for feral male or female fixing. And if you actually talk to someone there - - -or even drive over and speak to someone in person - you may find they have specials for certain zip codes as I mentioned - or discounts for quantity, etc. Our clinic even runs specials periodically. But you almost have to ask - - - they tend not to advertise those things TOO heavily as most of these clinics already work to capacity.

Just remember - all of these places will STILL be overrun as "kitten season" extends longer and longer every year that warm weather extends longer. Phone calls left on answering machines may take quite some time to be returned - - and are sometimes forgotten - not intentionally - - but major emergencies walk in the door every day at a Humane Society/shelter. Most of those types of places generally don't do super low-cost alteration - - but it never hurts to ask!

Again - I can't stress enough to ASK. I've been in your shoes (and still am - as I sit right now, my husband and I both self-employed so we never know when money's coming in - with three feral foster kittens we're socializing). Money's not easy to come by - - - but I learned you've got to do alot of poking around on the internet (or by phone if online's not your thing) and be willing to ASK! Some clinics will even help out a bit on price - - or even send extra people to help you catch for the "T" part of "TNR"!!!!! - once they know how many you're trying to help save!

A small town near you - Elyria (just 10 miles away I think?) - began focussing on TNR several years ago. The person who brought it to Elyria might be able to offer local places that would work with you. This info was posted from when their program began every years ago - - - but it certainly wouldn't hurt to call him to ask for help and information. On the City of Elyria site, one specific page mentions the person by name and his contact number. Again - this was a few years ago and it's possible it's changed - - - but it might be with calling! As it says at this link on Elyria's website page: Elyria Feral Cat Project Launched – city of elyria ohio ----information about TNR or for information about affordable spaying and neutering options can be found by calling Greg Willey at 322-4321.

And lastly - please try Alley Cat Allies as another source of help - both in finding someplace and just general help. They are a VERY large organization - and TNR is their focus (they were one of the main groups that really brought TNR to the forefront of people's consciousness as a way to deal with - and help - - these large colonies of "unwanted" cats). But they've helped me several times when I was starting out! Go to www.alleycatallies.org and go to the "Feral Friends Network Page." You can fill out their "feral Friends Network" info and someone should get back with you.

HOWEVER - that involves waiting - and obviously the longer you wait - -the more cats get pregnant :( I personally would start with some of the other options I listed above where you talk to a PERSON so that you can get immediate answers.

And please - don't be angry with your personal vet. It's hard not to be - - but understand alot of vets operate very close to the bone financially as it is. It's not that they don't want to help - - - but in order to be around to help your pet when you need it, they need to stay financially viable, and most just aren't set up to virtually "give fixing away." I'm sure your vet would help you if he/she could, as none of them want unwanted kittens born out there any more than you....or anyone else on this forum does!

Keep us posted - - this is a wonderful thing you're trying to set up and make happen! Don't lose sight of that!

Hazelnutlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
EVERYONE.....THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

I've done Alley Cat Allies yes. I've searched 4 Pets and also checked out the place in Medina. I have to go back up and re-read your posts but the $30/cat is a lot better than the $65 that I saw.

I'm self-employed so money comes in waves for me also. I know everyone needs to earn money and supplies cost money, I guess I expected there would be "better" programs out there. Every time I think I have it under control, more cats pop up! This is the most I've ever needed fixed at one time so it's definitely more stressful and more expensive for me now than before.

My dream is to build a humungous no-kill animal shelter with 24/7 veterinary care, no animal turned away. In my head everyone should care the way I do about animals, especially kitties.

I can't save them all, but at least I'm saving the ones close by to me. And, boy, are they ever spoiled for being ferals!

I will look into all these avenues you guys mentioned.

Thank you so very much for all the tips. I will def keep you posted! XOXOXO :thanks: