Low appetite during daytime

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have recently decreased Musiaka's pred dose to 1,75 mg daily and his daytime appetite dropped significantly. He had a huuuge appetite on higher doses and ate around 3 - 3,5 x 85g of canned food daily. Now he barely eats 1 x 85 g during the day and 1,5 x 85 g during the night. During the day I have to pet him and encourage him to eat but during the night he eats much better, the bowl is always empty in the morning and he eats some more after I wake up and fill in his bowl again. But later on it's a struggle.
Is it something to worry about? He gained weight on higher pred doses, but I'm afraid he will lose it. He is around 4,8 - 5 kg. Playful and interactive these days even with less appetite.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is around 10.5 lbs, 5kg., that is not too bad of weight. If he keeps gaining weight he eventually could be overweight. You might get some lickable treats to see if that would help, I give all my meds in them to the cats every morning. You might just get him to step on a scale each day and monitor his weight. If he eats better at night maybe give him more then, cats are more active at dusk and dawn. My outside cats get about a can a day, 5.5 ounces or about 156gms, but they do have access to grain-free dry too. They are in good shape. My inside cats get way less than that but don't need it, they are way less active and overweight. They too have limited access to grain-free weight reduction dry. I would go more by your cat's weight, if he starts losing then you can try to increase his treats or food. If he maintains, he is good. What weight is a good weight for him? Mine are slightly overweight but have leukemia, so I try to keep a little extra on them in case they get a relapse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he is around 10.5 lbs, 5kg., that is not too bad of weight. If he keeps gaining weight he eventually could be overweight. You might get some lickable treats to see if that would help, I give all my meds in them to the cats every morning. You might just get him to step on a scale each day and monitor his weight. If he eats better at night maybe give him more then, cats are more active at dusk and dawn. My outside cats get about a can a day, 5.5 ounces or about 156gms, but they do have access to grain-free dry too. They are in good shape. My inside cats get way less than that but don't need it, they are way less active and overweight. They too have limited access to grain-free weight reduction dry. I would go more by your cat's weight, if he starts losing then you can try to increase his treats or food. If he maintains, he is good. What weight is a good weight for him? Mine are slightly overweight but have leukemia, so I try to keep a little extra on them in case they get a relapse.
I usually give him his pred in the evening, so maybe I should start doing that in the morning instead?
Musiaka does love his lickable treats, I give some from GimCat, one with Multi Vitamins and another one with slippery elm/aloe. They work well as treats but I can't give him too much.
So I shouldn't worry too much about him eating less during as long as he conpensates during the night/doesn't lose weight? Because right now I'm quite adamant with him, almost forcing him to eat during the day. Maybe it's a wrong approach. I'm just scared he will get nauceaus without having a regular bite to eat and will start throwing up again. Right now the 1,75 mg of pred keeps it away.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would monitor his weight and compensate him during the evening. If he even acts like he is going to throw up you might have to tempt him again. Maybe try to find some foods that he really enjoys. Changing his pred to the morning might stimulate him to eat a little more in the day. His weight is the key. If he starts losing strategies will have to be changed.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just as I thought the new food, James Wellbeloved Senior Pouches gave him a reaction even though I tried introducing it slowly. I found a little foamy yellow spot this morning. Not sure if it means he can't proceed with that food. The ingredients are better than his current. But the texture is not paté and maybe that's a problem... Should I try giving it anyway hoping his stomach will adjust? The new food has a much cleaner ingredients list, no animal by producs, which our current, Purina Pro Plan does have

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Musiaka has 0 appetite today, and didn't even all that much at night, the bowl was not empty in the morning. I will have a call with the vet and see if we should increase the pred dose again :/

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please feed him what he wants for now. I had to go back to Purina Pro with its animal byproducts because my cats just couldn't tolerate grain-free.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please feed him what he wants for now. I had to go back to Purina Pro with its animal byproducts because my cats just couldn't tolerate grain-free.
Really? It's possible for cats to not tolerate grain-free? :O
He doesn't really want Purina Pro today either :/ I regret messing with his food yesterday, it made things worse even though he seems curious about the new food...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats sure can't! They end up vomiting all night. Even mixing very small amounts in. Just get him to eat something, like shaved deli turkey, or even Arby's roast beef. My cats will lick a little Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors when they are really sick. you might try some lickable treats.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats sure can't! They end up vomiting all night. Even mixing very small amounts in. Just get him to eat something, like shaved deli turkey, or even Arby's roast beef. My cats will lick a little Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors when they are really sick. you might try some lickable treats.
Interesting, I didn't know that!
Musiaka is still not eating. He just ate a little bit of boiled chicken, just a few pieces. He's not lethargic or anything and just had some zoomies, but is running away from his bowl.
I talked to the vet and she said that the pred dose is so low, that some of the ibd symptoms are returning. She says as long as he doesn't vomit we should stay on the low dose but I just don't know. His appetite was so good on 2,5 mg a day :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel.....As long as he is eating SOMETHING give him a few more days to adjust. Long-term pred is not good either, although I have had cats with cancer take it for two years with no bad effects. Try some lickable treats and more boiled chicken.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everything was getting fine with Musiaka's eating, he got his appetite back, started eating lots today, until something happened today and he was endlessly licking around his mouth after coming back from the kitched. I got suspicious that there's something with his teeth and oh my gosh one of his fangs (that has always been chipped) looks horrible and is lose. We've been playing with him a lot and maybe it got damaged somehow :( it's a vet visit for us tomorrow and probably a tooth removal...