Loving cat randomly attacks - help

jdsmith67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I are empty nesters and adopted a Siamese kitten. He is almost 3-years old and was neutered at 6-months old. He’s a mama’s boy and loves my wife. Very sweet and loving to her. He loves me too. When I’m home from work, he'll follow me around the house. He’s spoiled rotten. He loves sliced rotisserie chicken and ham from the deli. I give him half a piece a day torn into small pieces. Around 9-months ago, he randomly attacked me viciously. This was not playing! We couldn't determine why it happened. He's never been spanked or hit in any way. I had scratches all over my legs from his claws and several deep bite marks. My wife threw a blanket over him for me to escape. The growls and sounds he was making was ferocious. He hissed at me for several days but didn’t attack again. Then he was back to loving on me all the time. This past week, my wife went on vacation with our adult children. I needed to stay home and I took care of our cat. On the third night, I had been petting him for a long time while lying on the floor. He was purring very loud. Then, I sat in the chair where my wife normally sits and he violently attacked me. He pulled my sweatpants all the way to my feet and I managed to throw a blanket on him and escape outside with my sweatpants still on the living room floor. I was once again covered in scratches and bleeding badly. I slept in our detached garage which has an apartment inside. The following morning, he was waiting on me at the door and hissed then lunged three foot up on the door trying to attack me. I didn’t go inside. This went on for three days. I was basically forced to stay in our detached garage the entire time. I knew if I went inside he would attack me. I love him and even though he’s badly hurting me I’m trying to not hurt him when trying to escape. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior or have any suggestions? We have a 4-month old granddaughter I'm concerned about.

Ravencat1031

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat in the pic did that to me once in June 2020 and had to be held at animal control for ten days. She came home and everything was fine for 14 months, then in August 2021 she did it again suddenly. She went to stay with my son for 5 weeks and when she came home was fine until the fourth day. Jumped on me and it was a shocking attack. Animal control came and picked her up. She had to be put down. It was the worst experience of my life. I raised her from six weeks old and she was 5 years when she die. She never attacked my husband just didn’t like me. Don’t know why.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take the cat to the vet to rule out a medical problem for starters.

Additioanlly, familiarize yourself with the concept of redirected aggression. Many of these situations are triggered by the sight and/or smell of an outside cat. Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles . Not saying that is necessarily what is going on, as the attacks do seem rather long for redirected aggression. Usually, its one discrete episode unless something happens to prolong things, like a fight between house cats caused by redirected aggression. So it would be unusual to get attacked again the next morning if redirected aggression is the cause.

Thats all I have, but the odds are pretty good its one or the other (medical issue or redirected aggression).

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know it’s terrifying when a cat comes after you, tooth and claw. But when you act like prey as a result, it makes it worse and you’re more likely to get hurt. If you have to cover him with a blanket, use it to restrain him and figure out a way to take him to another room to settle down. Learn how to squish your cat.
You’ve got to take charge, you’re the guardian and your cat needs your help.

Your cat is suffering from pain or stress or both. Get him to a vet for a check up to see if he’s in pain and if he is, whether the problem is physical or neurological. Start investigating what might be causing your cat stress.

Stay calm, take charge and find out what’s wrong with your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdsmith67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat in the pic did that to me once in June 2020 and had to be held at animal control for ten days. She came home and everything was fine for 14 months, then in August 2021 she did it again suddenly. She went to stay with my son for 5 weeks and when she came home was fine until the fourth day. Jumped on me and it was a shocking attack. Animal control came and picked her up. She had to be put down. It was the worst experience of my life. I raised her from six weeks old and she was 5 years when she die. She never attacked my husband just didn’t like me. Don’t know why.
Ravencat1031, Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear that your cat had to put down. I know how hard it is to lose a cat or dog. It's like losing a member of the family!

jdsmith67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Take the cat to the vet to rule out a medical problem for starters.

Additioanlly, familiarize yourself with the concept of redirected aggression. Many of these situations are triggered by the sight and/or smell of an outside cat. Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles . Not saying that is necessarily what is going on, as the attacks do seem rather long for redirected aggression. Usually, its one discrete episode unless something happens to prolong things, like a fight between house cats caused by redirected aggression. So it would be unusual to get attacked again the next morning if redirected aggression is the cause.

Thats all I have, but the odds are pretty good its one or the other (medical issue or redirected aggression).
ArtNJ, Thanks for the reply! I will study on the topic of Re-directed Aggression. Thanks for the suggest. He has been to the vet for blood work, X-rays, and urinalysis. All came back perfect. I have read on Territorial Aggression. I thought that might be assocaited due to me sitting where he and my wife always sit together. She's a retired Kindergarten teacher and spends lot of time with him on that couch. I normally sit in a separate recliner. He also pooped in the floor a couple of time close to that area over the 3-day aggression period, kinda like marking territory, and he has never pooped in the floor.

jdsmith67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know it’s terrifying when a cat comes after you, tooth and claw. But when you act like prey as a result, it makes it worse and you’re more likely to get hurt. If you have to cover him with a blanket, use it to restrain him and figure out a way to take him to another room to settle down. Learn how to squish your cat.
You’ve got to take charge, you’re the guardian and your cat needs your help.

Your cat is suffering from pain or stress or both. Get him to a vet for a check up to see if he’s in pain and if he is, whether the problem is physical or neurological. Start investigating what might be causing your cat stress.

Stay calm, take charge and find out what’s wrong with your cat.
Cat McCannon, Thanks for your reply and video. I will watch the video. I'm 6'5', 240 pounds, and in good physical condition. It's vicious when he attacks. I think I'd rather fight Mike Tyson. Of course, I'm trying not to hurt him. He has been to the vet for blood work, X-rays, and urinalysis after the attack. All came back perfect. It's a difficult situation. Thanks again for your reply.