love of trashbags

redhairedgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, new here! I think I've read the answer before on this forum, but..

I have two kitties, brothers named Frodo and Samwise. Samwise has had a love affair with black trashbags for quite some time now. He just sits and licks it for hours. He stops for a second when I say something to him, but goes right back at it. Is this in any way harmful? Is it because of the material of the bags?

rlwentz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have a cat that likes to lick plastic. It doesn't matter what the plastic is on (toilet paper, water bottle cartons, etc.), he just licks them to death. I've asked about it at Vet visits, but he's in good health. I guess it must be like bitting your nails, just a habbit.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi redhairedgirl!

Well I don't think it's harmful as long as he does not bite off & ingest the plastic pieces. Lots of cats like plastic. Hammie will gnaw any type of bag as if it's the best thing next to mice. I think it just feels weird on their mouths & they like the sounds it makes, or, cats like to hear us freaking out when they chew on plastic bags.

vegansoprano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Plastic bags are made from animal fat, which is why cats find them so attractive. They can and often do eat the bags, which obviously can cause huge problems. The bags need to be made inaccessible to the cats.