love bites?

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cupid's biting Opal and I don't know if he's being mean (which is totally not like him!) or if he's just trying to get her attention. I've seen him bite her before, but it was when they were playing and she HATED it. Then just now, Opal was sitting in my lap and Cupid was sitting on the keyboard tray and he licked her, then he barely bit her and held her skin in his mouth. She didn't meow, hiss, growl or anything, so it didn't seem to hurt her.

Cupid does nibble to get attention sometimes. Like when he's on my lap and I'm into something online for example, he'll gently nibble my tummy or leg and I'll start rubbing him again. So maybe it's just that?

I don't know if I should make him stop or not. I don't want to get involved if it's part of their getting to know each other, but I don't want either of them hurt. Also, I don't let Opal bite for any reason at all because she used to bite hard, so I don't think it's fair to let Cupid nibble. On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to make him change because of her either. So I don't know.

Is it a big deal?

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats bite on each other during playtime. One will bite onto the other's ear and then start grooming the other cat's head. If the cats aren't crying out in pain, I don't think it's a big deal. If one of my cats bites too hard, the other one will cry and the instigator will immediately back off. One of my cats also gives me lovebites, he likes to nibble on my nose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! It's good to know it's not uncommon.
Cupid does back off (most of the time) when Opal "says" something.