Lounging On Litter Mat

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I did a search for this topic before posting. I see plenty of litter box concerns, but mine is litter mat related and minor in comparison. Savvy enjoys sitting on the mat (it's the one that looks like a paw) and not necessarily immediately following handling her business. She won't even sit in her bed, let alone sleep in it. Perhaps she likes the material of the mat. Maybe get one from the same material that looks like a rug (rectangle-shaped)? It disturbs me that she likes to sit and sometimes even lay down there of all places. Any one out there have knowledge on this? Is it as simple as getting another one for lounging? Thoughts. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Semi related, but my boy really likes lounging on those coarse outdoor mats, made out of coir or whatever it's called...

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats do this on occassion as well. I see them scratching on it with their paws while laying there. Do they have scratch pads? I think they just like the feel of it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know you are not 'impressed' with her laying there, but as long as she is peeing/pooping appropriately, she has just decided that she likes that mat. I would try, as you suggested, to see if you can find one made of the same/similar material, but lay it far, far away from the litter box as possible - in another area she likes hang out - so as not to confuse her.

The thing about cats though - she will still probably prefer the one by her litter box instead, of course...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read that the litter box having her scent in it, makes it a safe place for her. I supposed it's similar to having your own particular favorite chair. I'd certainly get the other mat just in case she likes the texture. Texture is very important to many of us.

If she were actually lying in the litter box itself I'd consider taking her to the vet. This can be a sign of illness as well as insecurity.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I know you are not 'impressed' with her laying there, but as long as she is peeing/pooping appropriately, she has just decided that she likes that mat. I would try, as you suggested, to see if you can find one made of the same/similar material, but lay it far, far away from the litter box as possible - in another area she likes hang out - so as not to confuse her.

The thing about cats though - she will still probably prefer the one by her litter box instead, of course...
Or like most cats she will get bored with that spot when something new comes along that she likes better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I've determined it is the texture she likes, not so much the mat. She's fallen in love with a something else in the house that feels similar to the touch. However she reserves the right to hang out on the litter mat any time she wants.