Loud Meowing After Medication

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

My old man Oscar has been meowing loudly for a little while, but not as bad as this instance. We give him Metoclopramide in a liquid form. The first night I gave it to him, he started meowing like in the video. I called the vet and she told me it wasn't a symptom. However, I had to skip a day due to being out of town and started the med over again tonight. Again, he started almost howling (here is a quick video, sorry the quality is so crap)
I'm going to the vet tomorrow so I will be showing this to her, but I just don't quite understand why this happens. I am aware that senior cats tend to meow a lot more often and loud, but this is a little crazy.

Keep in mind that he is 17 and has stage 4 kidney failure + hyperthyroidism. He is on sub-q fluids every other day, as well as other medication.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like most of my older cats have sounded once they reached their senior years. I don’t think it means very much. But what is his medication for?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The medication is an anti-nausea, since he is in stage 4 kidney failure. He is on other meds as well.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
See, I had read that as well, but the vet tech said that it wasn't a side effect, which then made me doubt myself. He's doing ok now, since giving him some CBD oil. I have noticed that if I'm consistent with the meds, he doesn't react like that. It's only the first times I give it to him that he'll act like this.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always research. I had a vet insist that there were no side effects to Revolution and that I wasn't thinking of my cat.

You can guess what happened then.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well,k I believe I found the real culprit of the loud meowing... Mirtazapine. It seems like every time I was giving him the Metoclopramide, I was also giving him the Mirtazapine on that same day, so I never noticed, until last night. We stopped giving him the Metoclopramide last week, and I gave him his appetite stimulant (mirtazapine) last night. Well he went on this long meowing frenzy where he seems so uncomfortable. I'm calling my vet today to see what we can do now. Wish me luck!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always. Even when they don't mention side effects some medicines can make some people and cats antsie - jumpy, like your insides are rippling and you can't make it stop. Maybe with the CBD he won't need the mirtazapine. Though it might take awhile for it all to get out of his system. More good thoughts and vibes.