Loud Breathing

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My oldest boy, Hawkeye, has always had breathing that is quite loud. I've had him for three years, and I've had him checked out by a few different vets, and they all say he's fine. His lungs are clear, there's nothing wrong with his heart. They said it could be any number of things, but that he may have just been born with a narrower septum, or maybe something was blocking it, but that they didn't foresee it being a problem. He was already three years old when I got him, with no prior history anyone knew about, so I have no way of knowing if he's always been this way.

He doesn't appear at all distressed. I don't think he even knows, so, I haven't thought anything of it for quite some time. Since I joined this forum though, I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just bumping this up for you. I'd say your Vet(s) is probably right and it's nothing to worry about since he isn't in distress and nothing has happened in all the time you've been his caretaker. I know one of my cat snores, but haven't notices his breathing loudly when he's awake

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've had several members mention loud breathing in cats with no other issues, and I don't recall any of them ever finding a real cause, other than, "that's just how he is." ONE may have been due to polyps, but I'm not certain of that, at all! If everything else is normal, I'd heave a great sigh, and say, "One of those things!"