Lotto

softy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few months ago my female 15-1/2 street cat had to be put down. Her kidneys had stopped working. I was distraught as you can all imagine. She died in my arms. Her little head soaking with my tears. She was a little tabby. Never grew very big and was a very unpleasant little girl but how i loved her. I have a male cat of the same age. He didnt seem particularly bothered by her leaving. They had lived together for over 15 yrs and never liked each other. However, he stopped coming into the sitting room. Stopped sitting on my lap for hours and hours and spend all his time on my bed. I spoke to my vet who said he was bored and i should get a kitten! Big mistake, all round. I went to a shelter and brought home the 2 most gorgeous little sisters. One was tabby and the other calico. They were 5 months old and so very very sweet. Never bit or scratched. Played with each other, loved each other, washed each other and made me laugh so much. Lotto was not impressed. Then he got ill. He had to have daily infusions, wasnt eating - the vet said a pancreas infection. Took a long time to get him sort of back to health. But....i had to hand feed him for a long long time. He would only eat 'recovery' by hand. Eventually he started eating his dry food again but....he still spends all the day on my bed and instead of shouting for me to feed him, now shouts for me to cuddle him. Back to the kittens. After a month i noticed the tabby, daisy, seemed unwell. We went to the vet. She had ifp and had to be put down, and the next day lilly had to join her a rainbow bridge. This means i lost 3 cats in 3-4 months. I was in a terrible state. I have my lotto. He is a lovely cat. But has arthritis. How can i get him to leave my bed and rejoin the land of the living in the sitting room? I miss him and love him and want him.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww, sweetie - you've gone through a lot. But try to remember that Lotto is like 80 years old in human terms - and that arthritis makes it hard for him to get around; he's probably in some chronic pain all the time. And he's probably grieving for his 'sister', even though they didn't seem all that lovey-dovey to you. And, then, poor boy, in a way his quiet life was disturbed by bringing in two toddlers - and now they're gone too. He's been through a lot too - and only wants your cuddling.

Have you talked with the vet about what sort of food or supplements might be good for Lotto? And, maybe you can make a nice warm spot for him in the living room where he can cuddle next to you? But, honestly, not sure I would push it too much - just love him. But I'm so sorry for you too - so much to happen all at once.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

And I also think that Lotto shows his desire to comfort you by maybe going overboard with the cuddles. Both of you have gone through a lot.

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can only second the excellent advice given by darlili. I just wanted to post to convey my deepest sympathy.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, also, want to extend my sympathy at all your losses. I once lost 3 cats in 3 months...they were long timers too.

How about a heated kitty bed in the living room near you. Older cats especially like warmth on their old joints and bones. I know I would. Show it to him and maybe he will eventually come to like it.

But as the others have said, maybe just loving on him is enough for him right now. So many changes.