Lots of hairballs even on Raw

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Callie throws up hairballs often, even though she has been on Raw now since March.  Is that unusual?  This morning I woke up to the familiar sound, went dashing in to see who it was, then when I looked around to see where she was after I cleaned it up, she was in the litter box, pooping her cute little raw poop, so I know that end is working AOK
.  The odd thing is that she threw up a hairball just last night too.  And it seems the more I brush her, the more she sheds, therefore, the MORE she throws them up.  (I use a zoom groom on her, which get a LOT of fur off of her, then I follow that up with a wire brush to get the lose stuff off)

I thought on raw the hairballs were supposed to go thru them and come out the other end
.  She has medium length hair, but it's really fine.  Anyway, I used to give them all the Temptation Hairball Control treats until they went on raw...now they don't get anything specifically for hairballs.  Should I try to add something to their diet?  She's the only one who seems to have issues.  And since she's a little underweight, I hate to add anything that might cause her food not to digest (think I read that giving them a little oil helps, but also coats their tummies so they don't get their nutients, or something like that).

Oh, and she does still get Digestive Enzymes and probiotics, not that those would help with hairballs, but I guess they could.

Thoughts?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've definitely seen an improvement in the amount of hairballs being tossed up since being on raw, but others - I think one of mschauer's kitties? - don't. Basically, the move to timed meals, whether raw or not, should help, because it's the gastric emptying that helps move the hairballs through their system, and it's the hunger pang between meals that triggers the gastric emptying. (At least that's my understanding). That said, I did see an improvement in the switch to raw from timed meals on canned. :dk:

Shel has thrown up a few this year, as has Lazlo. Tuxie and Flowerbelle a bit more. Spooky coughed up one. Someone threw up what looked like it must have been a full stomach of hairballs just a few days ago. :eek: I don't know who it was.

Carolina, me, and I think Lauren are trying egg yolk lecithin now
Just a half cap twice a week. I only started using it a couple of weeks ago, so I have no idea if it's helping yet or not. Lecithin is an emulsifier AND helps digest/metabolize fats, so as fat gets bound up with the hair in the stomach, the idea is that the egg yolk (not soy!) lecithin helps break this up. I know from the lady at the health food store that lecithin helps the cats benefit from the essential fatty acids in the food and omega 3s, as they improve fat metabolism (well, helps people too LOL).

That said... according to my holistic vet, hairballs are a sign of an energy imbalance. Whether the issue is one of motility problems or digestion problems, is something that would have to be determined by a vet trained in Chinese meds. She said that TYPICALLY it is a sign of a spleen Qi deficiency, though which herbal remedy to use can vary. Chum was given a chinese herbal remedy (Prosperous Farmer) to address this - and he's never thrown up a hairball. He's no longer on those pills (he stopped eating the pill pocket with the pill halves in them about two weeks after being on 100% raw). But he's been back to the vet, and she no longer detects a spleen Qi deficiency. :dk:

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Carolina, me, and I think Lauren are trying egg yolk lecithin now Just a half cap twice a week. I only started using it a couple of weeks ago, so I have no idea if it's helping yet or not. Lecithin is an emulsifier AND helps digest/metabolize fats, so as fat gets bound up with the hair in the stomach, the idea is that the egg yolk (not soy!) lecithin helps break this up.
Count me as one that uses this same product too because it contains no soy.
Just remember to refrigerate the bottle after opening--my first bottle years ago had to be tossed because I didn't notice this on the label. I also sometimes use extra raw egg yolks in my kids food because that can also help with hairballs, but I don't want to overdue some of the nutrients in actual yolks, so I only add an extra 3-4 yolks per average-sized batch (approximately 20lbs) of their raw mix. This seems to help.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've definitely seen an improvement in the amount of hairballs being tossed up since being on raw, but others - I think one of mschauer's kitties? -
Yup, I saw no difference at all. Zara has always shed like a demon and still does. Still tosses hairballs too. She also has medium length hair. Jeta sheds a lot also but I've never seen her toss a hairball. She has very short hair.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely see difference - Lucky's hairball problems just about disappeared :clap::clap::clap:
She had major issues..... She had blockages, and was on a hairball formula - always tossing them out. Gone after raw.

Bugsy still has issues, he had a blockage not long ago - but the boy is FURRY. And he has IBD.... so he is a special case for sure.... I am giving him vaseline from time to time..... He does need help still.

I see lots of hair on their poop..... and Hope hasn't had a problem since raw. Her hair is growing like nuts though, and since she doesn't let me groom her, it is matting.... :( She is going to be shaved this week.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, in my research on Flowerbelle's asthma/arthritis, I've been seeing a lot of mention of the omega supplement GLA. It's recommended in a lot of places (and some that even are REALLY aware of a cat's particular metabolism/physiology :lol3: ), particularly for skin/coat issues.

I'm wondering if a GLA supplement might help stop so much shedding? :dk: I really don't know. But cats don't have the same problem converting GLA into DGLA that they have converting ALA into a useable omega 3. So you MIGHT want to consider giving evening primrose oil for a while - see if it affects the shedding? :dk:

This is the reference I have for it (asthma site, but has the dose): http://www.felineasthma.org/medications/index.htm It says 500mg per day per cat (doesn't distinguish between cat sizes though).

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HI Sally!! I have to say, that I have no hairball issues with my cats since raw. BUT that is not to say that is normal or not. I also groom my cats at least once weekly and sometimes twice. Furminate and zoom groom. I DO use the Egg Lecthin for Pipsqueak now recommended by Carolina. He seems to love it and it is helping with his constipation and the passing of hard, hairy poops. :lol3: I do see a lot of hairy poops like Carolina does. So my cats are passing the hair out that way.

Now - I also started Wendall on the Evening Primrose oil :nod: He has asthma also. AND I do think this helps with the skin/ coat and shedding too. Might be something good to add for Callie.

p.s. Carolina - I did get the Mega Red Krill oil. NO KIDDING on needing a pliers to squeeze out the oil from the capsules. :shocked: Maybe the Krill oil will help with shedding too :dk:

Last edited:

southpaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jinx used to never get hairballs, but he gets them ALL THE TIME since being on raw.

When I remember to use the Furminator on him, it helps. The issue is, he hates being brushed, so more often than not I put it off.... lol.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jinx used to never get hairballs, but he gets them ALL THE TIME since being on raw.

When I remember to use the Furminator on him, it helps. The issue is, he hates being brushed, so more often than not I put it off.... lol.

Is it the raw diet or the season? :dk:
I am just wondering..... You started feeding your kitty raw around spring/summer.... that is shedding season, specially considering you live in MN.....
Also, I have noticed, the older my IBD cat gets, the worst his hairball issues gets in shedding seasons..... Nothing really to do with raw, but with his system, really.... A lot to do with motility :nod:
Isn't Jynx your IBD kitty? Keep in mind, IBD cats do have motility issues..... and in shedding seasons, you might have more and more issues as they get older..... It has been my experience, at least.....My vet recommended hairball meds for Bugsy during shedding season only :nod:

southpaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it the raw diet or the season?

I am just wondering..... You started feeding your kitty raw around spring/summer.... that is shedding season, specially considering you live in MN.....
Also, I have noticed, the older my IBD cat gets, the worst his hairball issues gets in shedding seasons..... Nothing really to do with raw, but with his system, really.... A lot to do with motility

Isn't Jynx your IBD kitty? Keep in mind, IBD cats do have motility issues..... and in shedding seasons, you might have more and more issues as they get older..... It has been my experience, at least.....My vet recommended hairball meds for Bugsy during shedding season only
Hmmm you could be right. I never gave much thought to the season, but yes he was put on raw in March I think?

I was just thinking that the commercial diets probably have something added to them to prevent hairballs, which he would no longer be receiving since he's on raw. But your theory makes sense too! Guess I'll have to pay attention to what happens in the cooler seasons

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Don't know what happened to my reply earlier on, but I had asked about the Evening Primrose Oil and HOW to administer?  Also, just rec'd my Egg Yolk Lecithin.  How do you administer that?  I see where Laurie says 1/2 cap twice a week.  I'm taking this to mean 1/2 capsule twice a week?  What do you do...just open up the capsule and squeeze it out onto their food?  Seems like a vaguely recall hearing that most cats will eat it alone and love it, but  naturally, can't find that thread!

Thanks!  Anxious to start them on it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know what happened to my reply earlier on, but I had asked about the Evening Primrose Oil and HOW to administer?  Also, just rec'd my Egg Yolk Lecithin.  How do you administer that?  I see where Laurie says 1/2 cap twice a week.  I'm taking this to mean 1/2 capsule twice a week?  What do you do...just open up the capsule and squeeze it out onto their food?  Seems like a vaguely recall hearing that most cats will eat it alone and love it, but  naturally, can't find that thread!

Thanks!  Anxious to start them on it.
Yeah, squeeze 1/2 of the capsule on the top of the food.... Twice a week. Kitties love it :nod:
After you open the bottle, keep it in the fridge.....

The consistency is like egg yolks, so it is kind of hard to squeeze it out btw, but you will get the hang of it.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, squeeze 1/2 of the capsule on the top of the food.... Twice a week. Kitties love it :nod:
After you open the bottle, keep it in the fridge.....
The consistency is like egg yolks, so it is kind of hard to squeeze it out btw, but you will get the hang of it.
Yeah :lol3: Pliers have now been added to my supplement basket :flail:. Not only for the Egg Lecithin but for those rock hard Red Mega Krill oil capsules. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, as usual, my picky, Tinky, doesn't like it.  But, luckily, Miss Hairball (Callie), seems to love it, so no problem there.  I just wish I could get some into Tinky, since he's got longish hair too, and I think it would be good for him.  Oddly, Mr. Piggy didn't really go for it either.  And with Tinky, I even tried coating a Purebite chicken piece in it, and he still wouldn't go for it.  My problem was trying to keep Callie from eating an entire capsule while trying to encourage either boy to imbibe

Oh well, as usual, Tinky is on a raw strike, so I think anything good for him, he's refusing. 
   Maybe he'll change his mind in another day or two.  (he is SO frustrating - good thing he's so cute
). 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Certainly DOES help when they are SO cute. Oh for sure, Pipsqueak hates the Egg stuff now too. :rolleyes: I just squeeze out 1/2 capsule for someone else and then mix Pip's in a small amount of BFF. He gets that twice a week as a treat. He eats the EggL. that way now. Will see how long that works. I also still give him some pumpkin twice a week too. No more constipation and I do think it helps pass the hair out the poop shoot. :lol3:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: for momma because Tinky is not cooperating. Believe me, Sally, I DO know the feeling. It can be really tough with these pickies. They drive us BATTY :scatter: :updown:

nedda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried adding some digestive enzymes to the diet?  Fur is primarily protein, and as cats age they may be running out of some of the enzymes they need to break down their food.  Get something you can mix right into the food itself that is designed for cats, which means it has a sightly higher protease (protein digestion enzymes) than enzymes for dogs or humans.  This might help.

Also, grooming your cats on a regular basis can help, too. 

Nedda Wittels

http://www.raysofhealinglight.com

http://www.animalcommunicatorforum.com

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought hair was an insoluble fiber? Do digestive enzymes help for that? I'm totally willing to reintroduce them for hairball control. That said, the 1/16 teaspoon of egg yolk lecithin seems to be working... :cross:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought hair was an insoluble fiber? Do digestive enzymes help for that? I'm totally willing to reintroduce them for hairball control. That said, the 1/16 teaspoon of egg yolk lecithin seems to be working... :cross:
Even though hair is primarily made of Keratin, which is a type of fibrous protein, digestive enzymes are not powerful enough to break it down.
The reason why lecithin works, is because it breaks down the fat that binds the hair tight together in the hairball, making it easier to pass.
Where the enzymes CAN work, is by breaking down the mucous and the fat that binds the hairball together - that it can help with.... Much like Lecithin, but not with dissolving the hair.....

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Question: One of my young adults has thrown up 2-3 hairballs within the last 2 months and he's fed a combination of raw and grain-free. Although he's a main coon his fur is very fine, soft, and somewhat bushy. What frequency would u consider as being excessive for hairballs when a cat is fed primarly raw/grain free?

I

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maine Coons typically have a lot of hair! I would think once a month isn't excessive. The main steps in hairball prevention are avoidance. Do you groom him every week or so with something like a furminator? This helps remove the shedding undercoat, which is what is ingested.

Also, do you include any egg yolk in the diet? An egg yolk once a week may help. It contains the lecithin discussed above; it also contains choline, a component of which is acetylcholine. Acetylcholine helps improve GI motility, which contributes to hairball control.