Lots Of Fur Loss

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all.
I've recently been noticing my kitty has been loosing LOTS of fur, as in sometimes I'll find little lumps where he has been sitting or if he ran away quickly...more fur balls. It seems like they just fall off!
He is a ragamuffin, he has long fur, could it just be summer time shedding?

He is on alot of medication for HCM/CHF...Furosemide, Plavix, Atenolol daily...

Could the meds be causing this?
He doesn't have any 'bald' patches per say but I've just been noticing so much excess fur everywhere!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Shedding is a very good possibility. Do you ever notice that he is cleaning before he gets up and you find lumps of hair where he was sitting? Feeby is short haired, but cleans a lot, and there is - especially right now - little pieces of hair where she was previously sitting. She doesn't have any bald patches either. So, as long as she doesn't I don't worry about it. See if it tapers off in a few weeks, and if so, just consider it one of the seasonal shedding processes that many cats go through!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
The Sheddening is currently occurring at my house as the days get hotter, despite air conditioning.

I'm not a vet, so I can't speak of the medicine causing reactions like this. How long has he been on the meds? How long have you had him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Sheddening is currently occurring at my house as the days get hotter, despite air conditioning.

I'm not a vet, so I can't speak of the medicine causing reactions like this. How long has he been on the meds? How long have you had him?
He has been on them since April...varying dosages since then.
We've had him for a year now and in April found him at home in a bad state, not breathing well and learned he has cardiac disease which is pretty advanced.
He is young, 2 years old, so its genetic :(

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Definitely call your vet and ask if the hair loss can be a side effect of his medications. I'm sorry you're going through this. :(