Lots of changes in Eli's life and he is peeing inappropriately

mycatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little guy Eli (age 4) has had a rough go of life.  He was a stray, then in a foster home, then came to live with my husband and me.  My husband was undergoing chemo for cancer at the time and had a stroke 2 months after we got Eli.  They took my husband away in an ambulance and he died 2 weeks later and I was a mess.  Three months later Eli's little companion kitty Maggie that he had grown to love died and I was a mess.  So was he.  I adopted a kitten because he needed a cat and he became fast friends with Sammy.  Then I had a lot of work done on my house and for 3 weeks the two cats were closed up all day and there was a lot of noise.  Then it was quiet for a few months and I had the kitchen blocked off for remodeling for seven weeks, and then it was all different.  Then it was quiet for about a year except for me crying a lot.  Then I decided to move, so I was packing things for three months.  Then I boarded him and Sammy at the vet for 2 nights before the move, then it was a 10 hour car ride in his carrier to our new home.  I had the two cats in the bathroom the first night and when they decided they wanted to go exploring, they were confused because it was all their stuff but in a different place.  This was 3 months ago.  They got used to the new house pretty quickly, and they really enjoy that we now live in the south and have a screened porch.

Eli is very, very bonded with me.  When I lived at our old house, my neighbor would take care of them when I had to travel.  Sammy is timid at first, but he is pretty chill and once he is used to someone, he will let them pick him up and cuddle him.  Eli is the friendlier of the two, but he picks who he likes and who he doesn't...and he tends to keep some distance from whoever is caring for him when I am gone.

So...we are three months into the new home and I had to travel for business last week.  I found a great petsitter and Eli was fine with her for a few days and then he started peeing.  He peed on a mat they shared near the door.  He peed on Sammy's food mat and IN HIS FOOD DISH.  He did this twice -- once on the petsitter's last day and I saw pee in Sammy's food dish when I got home.  It should be noted that Sammy let the petsitter pick him up and cuddle him but Eli kept his distance.

I had changed out all the litterboxes (I have 3) before I left and the petsitter scooped daily while I was away.

Eli has been stuck like glue to me pretty much since I got home 3 days ago, and he hadn't peed  inappropriately at all until tonight, when he PEED ON MY PURSE (!!!) which was on the floor.  

Eli is an anxious kitty anyway.  He is very food-oriented and would eat all day if I let him.  He gets frustrated when I make him wait for meals and when he is angry he shreds paper.   He gets frustrated when I won't let him sit on my computer.   And there is one other thing to note:  There is a neighborhood cat that does a tour around the outside of my house EVERY SINGLE DAY, and when the cats are on the screened porch and he comes around they go nuts.  I don't know where this cat outside (my cats are indoor only plus the porch) marks, but I did see him mark by the end of the backyard today.

So...what can I do about this peeing?  What can I do to make my kitty feel loved and secure?  I can't just stay home and never travel.  There is nothing wrong with him physically, he is acting out and I don't know what to do.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken him to a vet?  My very first concern would be that he has a medical issue and needs treatment.  No cat is going to happily pee in his food.

Once you have cleared him medically, you can start to look at behavioral issues.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you taken him to a vet?  My very first concern would be that he has a medical issue and needs treatment.  No cat is going to happily pee in his food.

Once you have cleared him medically, you can start to look at behavioral issues.
:yeah: That can't be stressed too much. A UTI can lead to a life-threatening blockage, so it's essential to seek veterinary care at the first signs of inappropriate urination.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn't pee in his food, he peed in Sammy's empty food dish and on Sammy's placemat.  And he is urinating in the litterbox just fine.  He has done this before in times of stress.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It still could very easily be a medical issue. Highly recommend that you start there.