Lost my dear kitten to FIP yesterday

storemis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I lost my beatiful and beloved 5 month kitten to FIP yesterday (cat on the left) I still have the my cat on the right and pray to that he will not get the same. 

2 weeks ago I did not have any knowledge about this horrible disease. It has been so hard watching my lovely kitten getting this, without anything you can do.

I miss him very much today and hope he now is at a better place.

I hope for a cure soon to be found.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry that you lost your baby and at such a young age, and I hope your other kitty is alright. So sorry for your loss, it is hard to deal with but with time it does get better but you never forget.

God Bless......

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your pain, it's so very hard to have such a young one leave you that is so very loved. The helplessness you feel tears your heart in two, the anger against something you have no control over is overwhelming. There is no rhyme or reason to a horrible disease like FIP, it breaks hearts and leaves sadness and grief in it's wake. Your sweet little boy is beyond pain and fear now, he loved you so very much and only wants the best for you in the future. I pray you take comfort in knowing you gave this little one what he wanted the most in the world, a wonderful home and your love. He shared your life's journey for a reason, having him in your life will leave you with beautiful memories and the knowledge that the bond you formed with him will be with you always, he will send his love to you for as long as you are alive. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, love that little brother, he is mourning too and you can lean on each other for support and comfort. Tale care......RIP dear little one, the mark you left on this earth is great, as is the mark you left on the hearts of those who love you so very much. You will be greatly missed, sleep tight little prince!

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'm so very sorry for your pain, it's so very hard to have such a young one leave you that is so very loved. The helplessness you feel tears your heart in two, the anger against something you have no control over is overwhelming. There is no rhyme or reason to a horrible disease like FIP, it breaks hearts and leaves sadness and grief in it's wake. Your sweet little boy is beyond pain and fear now, he loved you so very much and only wants the best for you in the future. I pray you take comfort in knowing you gave this little one what he wanted the most in the world, a wonderful home and your love. He shared your life's journey for a reason, having him in your life will leave you with beautiful memories and the knowledge that the bond you formed with him will be with you always, he will send his love to you for as long as you are alive. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, love that little brother, he is mourning too and you can lean on each other for support and comfort. Tale care......RIP dear little one, the mark you left on this earth is great, as is the mark you left on the hearts of those who love you so very much. You will be greatly missed, sleep tight little prince!
I don't think I could have put it any better myself.

It is a horrific disease but it doesn't mean your other kitty will suffer the same fate. I lost one of the first pair of kittens I adopted almost 2 years ago (11/22/2014) to FIP on March 10th, 2015 and I still had her sister/litter mate. They were together from birth to the day she was euthanized to free her from FIP and she is still with me and has passed the two years old mark and has been with me for almost 2 years. I don't know if that reassures you at all but it's all I can really say.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. What was the little ones name? RIP sweetie, know that you will always be loved and be remembered 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

storemis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the compassion, it means alot!

His name is Storemis, I am danish and it means big cat.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"m so sorry about your little kitty Storemis.  I hope the other kitty is fine.  Hugs. 

storemis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got Storemis and Bettemis (little cat) less than 2 month ago from a cat shelter. When I came to the shelter the first cat i connected with was Storemis, he really wanted me to take him away from there and

I did. Then i found Bettemis, his is fine now and I pray to that he will not get the same as Storemis. Storemis was a strong and energetic kitten, the time we had together was strong and felt with love and emotion. It hurt me alot when I saw him get sick.. But I gave him all i had and more and the day he went away, it had nothing more in me, I was emotionally drained. Storemis gave me alot and will always be together with me in my heart!  Miss you my dear Storemis.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is Bettemis doing since Storemis passed?  Is he grieving?

storemis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bettemis is doing fine and seems to cope well with the new situation.

storemis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is now more than one month since I lost one of my kittens. Looking back this was some of the worst I have ever experienced. It was so painfull. I would not give up until the third Vet told me the same "FIP". It was so stressful for me that I had a minor breakdown after this. Luckely I have good support and my other cat is fine after all this. Merry christmas.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OUCH!

I confess I didn't know what FIP was.

For those who don't, it's Feline Infectious Peritonitis​. 

And, a nasty ailment:

"With the assistance of the antibodies that are supposed to protect the cat, white blood cells are infected with the virus, and these cells then transport the virus throughout the cat's body. An intense inflammatory reaction occurs around vessels in the tissues where these infected cells locate, often in the abdomen, kidney, or brain. It is this interaction between the body's own immune system and the virus that is responsible for the disease. Once a cat develops clinical FIP involving one or many systems of the cat's body, the disease is progressive and is almost always fatal. The way clinical FIP develops as an immune-mediated disease is unique, unlike any other viral disease of animals or humans.​"

I hope I don't know later what I didn't know before . . .

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, I feel the pain you are going through. I still cry for my beautiful Darcy that I lost to this horrible, terrible, unfair disease.  Please don't worry about your other cat. I worried about mine too when I first learned what Darcy had, but was reassured by vets that despite the "infectious" in the name, it really isn't. It's from a virus that most cats actually get and in a few unlucky ones it mutates into FIP.  I did hear from a vet that they are working on a vaccine and that some of the cats who were given the vaccine actually lived and got better. It's been two years since we lost Darcy, and Swanie is just fine.

storemis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words. I wrote some time ago that my remaining cat Bettemis was doing fine and coping well with the new situation. This was not quite the case. I did not like that he was now alone and when i went away during the day, I had a really bad feeling inside knowing he was alone. I could see and hear that it was not good for him. I was not ready to get another kitten and It was not good that he was left alone. My mother has 2 adult cats and se told me, that i should come over with bettemis and he could stay at her place, then he is not alone. It is now 1 month ago and Bettemis is now very happy and so are the other cats. They have accepted him very well. I think this is a happy ending to the tragic loss of my other kitten Storemis. The picture is Bettemis (the grey) with one of my mothers cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks so happy! I'm glad you found a solution to his loneliness, your mother will be blessed to accept him into her little family. One more will fit in nicely. Please keep busy and try not to dwell on your loss,may the beautiful season that is upon us bring you peace and allow you to let a little happiness into your heart. You are blessed to have these remaining loved ones in your life, be grateful for every moment you can share with them, and know that even though little Storemis is not present in a physical sense, he is with you, held tenderly in your heart.