Lost For 3 Months!

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Three months ago I found myself in a hectic situation and had to find someone to cat-sit my youngest cats named Chloe and Leo only to my horror to hear that they BOTH escaped. Chloe was found after two weeks of hard searching. Facebook posts, lost posters, even Craigslist. The lady whose children found her wanted to keep her however since Chloe was wearing her tag, the lady was kind enough to call first. (Thank goodness she did!) After I brought home Chloe I continued to search for Leo for a month before family began telling me to give up and perhaps come to terms that Leo was either dead or, similar to Chloe, someone kept him.

Well THREE months later, after some of the coldest weather this year an unknown number called me stating this "fuzzy wild cat" had been staying outside their thrift store for a month but never got close enough to pet. However today he was sitting close enough to the owner of the store for her to just barely read the big white numbers on his tag. Surely enough it was Leo! Matted and dirty but it was him. I immediately brought him home but he definitely been through a lot, including dogs, wild cat, and foster kids that lived across the street. The woman stated he used to be friendlier but the children used to "drag him by his tail". Poor Leo! I'm guessing this is the reason he meows and tenses when I pet him. He seems to recognize his sister Chloe and his friend Amira but he just acts very fearful when I pick him up. He even nipped at me, not hard at all, but still. He never did that before.

How can I help him transition back into being a house cat again?

20171213_135133.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Um, I know this is weird but I'm sitting in my chair with Leo next to me and he seems to be "growling" in his sleep. I'm used to dogs running/whining in their sleep but I've never seen this behaviour in cats. Frankly, it's scaring me, he can get pretty loud at times. Should I be worried? Here's a small example, just turn the volume up:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor Leo! I am so glad he found his way home but that was quiet an ordeal. It sounds like he has only been home for a day or two so give him time. He may always be skittish of children after the negative experience of being pulled by his tail. But once he adjusts to the house again and realizes he is safe he should relax around you again. It will take time, I'd say not to be surprised if it takes at least two weeks to start to see some improvement.

Definitely second the vet visit to make sure he didn't pick up anything on the street (blood work) and a x-ray to make sure the tail dragging didn't cause damage to his spine.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LEO! LEO!

Poor little guy!

First off, a visit to the vet to make sure he is A-ok himself, and also that he doesn't have anything that could be passed on to your other kitties.
I'll set up an appointment for tomorrow. One thing for sure he has is fleas!:headshake: But nonetheless I'm glad he's home!:yess:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lea, I would just get him to a vet soon as you are able. I don't know if cats react to pain while they are sleeping/dozing, but you just never know, in my view. I wonder what things he has eaten during the time he has been missing, and I personally would go and get him a thorough check-up.
:redheartpump:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! I'm so glad you got him back. What do you mean by wild cat, did he get attacked by one?
Not that I know of, the lady who called me said there are wild cats in the area. She said he was seen hanging around with a grey and white one some time ago. I'm not sure if it was a wild cat or maybe she had seen him with Chloe before they got separated because Chloe is black and white. Pretty close.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Leo! I am so glad he found his way home but that was quiet an ordeal. It sounds like he has only been home for a day or two so give him time. He may always be skittish of children after the negative experience of being pulled by his tail. But once he adjusts to the house again and realizes he is safe he should relax around you again. It will take time, I'd say not to be surprised if it takes at least two weeks to start to see some improvement.

Definitely second the vet visit to make sure he didn't pick up anything on the street (blood work) and a x-ray to make sure the tail dragging didn't cause damage to his spine.
Oh yes, I know. It's just too bad I had him around children before getting lost and he absolutely adored my nephews. Dogs too, he'd walk up to anyone, he assumed everyone was his friend.:frown:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh yes, I know. It's just too bad I had him around children before getting lost and he absolutely adored my nephews. Dogs too, he'd walk up to anyone, he assumed everyone was his friend.:frown:
Poor guy, that had to be a really hard three months for him. Shower him with love and hopefully he will realize quickly he is safe. With your nephews, I'd have them sit quietly on the floor with some treats (after he has settled a little) and explain to them that he had a really rough time. That some kids were mean to him and he needs to remember that not all kids are mean. If he was that outgoing before it may just take some gentle reminders that your nephews were good kids for him to separate them from the kids who hurt him.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lea, I would just get him to a vet soon as you are able. I don't know if cats react to pain while they are sleeping/dozing, but you just never know, in my view. I wonder what things he has eaten during the time he has been missing, and I personally would go and get him a thorough check-up.
:redheartpump:
I don't know, he doesn't seem to be in pain but then again I can't ask him so I'll definitely alert the vet to these weird "episodes" in his sleep. I fed him kitten food when he got home as he has definitely lost weight. I'm not sure how he survived the cold weather, I'm just glad he has long hair. His mom is a wonderful barn kitty, she keeps mice out and away from my chickens so maybe he learned how to hunt to eat? I'm just not sure.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor guy, that had to be a really hard three months for him. Shower him with love and hopefully he will realize quickly he is safe. With your nephews, I'd have them sit quietly on the floor with some treats (after he has settled a little) and explain to them that he had a really rough time. That some kids were mean to him and he needs to remember that not all kids are mean. If he was that outgoing before it may just take some gentle reminders that your nephews were good kids for him to separate them from the kids who hurt him.
That's a good idea, I let him settle before inviting the nephews over. I know they'll be excited but I'll try to explain as best as I can. They probably won't understand why other children would be mean to a cat. They grew up with so many different animals, they don't realize there are people who treat animals differently.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... His mom is a wonderful barn kitty, she keeps mice out and away from my chickens so maybe he learned how to hunt to eat? I'm just not sure.

Yes, how is Sun doing? :hearthrob: :sunshine:

Glad Leo got fixed before he was lost. So glad you are reunited again with the little guy! Three months is a long time for a kitten. I know you'll be giving him lotsa love and food and hugs and care!

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, how is Sun doing? :hearthrob: :sunshine:

Glad Leo got fixed before he was lost. So glad you are reunited again with the little guy! Three months is a long time for a kitten. I know you'll be giving him lotsa love and food and hugs and care!
I was definitely thanking my lucky stars for him being up to date on all his shots! That way, he would be semi safer out there. And Sun is doing great, guarding the chickens is her main job and she loves it, I bring her in during the night since temperatures have been dropping but she goes in and out as she pleases:). Though last week she brought me the fatest mouse I ever saw.:help::lol:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sort of brushed most of his tangles out but he definitely didn't like his fur being pulled. I brushed as lightly as possible so it isn't as brushed as I would like but he actually looks orange again instead of that dusty beige. :D

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So happy you found him! Poor Baby. The growling in his sleep is most likely nightmares. He needs love, space, patience and time to regain his confidence that nothing horrible is going to happen to him anymore.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So happy you found him! Poor Baby. The growling in his sleep is most likely nightmares. He needs love, space, patience and time to regain his confidence that nothing horrible is going to happen to him anymore.
I suspected that because when he wakes up, he doesn't do that. In fact he hasn't left my lap, I decided to watch a movie since I didn't want to disturb him. :wavey:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh... your poor baby. Leo. I bet having his mama's barn cat genes helped him survive out there. You've certainly received a Christmas miracle. :redheartpump:
Yes I'm so happy to have him out of the cold and home for Christmas! I honestly thought I would never see him again.:itslove:

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a handsome fella. Hi suspect if I got lost and had to live rough and survive with predators for three months I’d be a bit traumatised too. I’d probably have nightmares too. Get him a thorough checkup to msk3 sure he’s cool medically and then it’s all about giving him a safe stable environment for as long as it takes, which might be months so be patient with him.

I’m glad you guys have been reunited. He clearly remembers you or he would be sleeping in the darkest corner under a bed hissing at you. He just needs time and love, and he’ll eventually start dreaming of happy things. Cats are amazingly resilient