Lost Cat - Trying To Humane Trap

kshell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My indoor only cat got out - 1st time in 4 years - I enlisted the help of a pet finder lostcatfinder.com - who gave me great tips. I am setting out food and have 2 locations set up with a night vision camera, but the only thing that is coming to both spots is an opossum. Is there food I could put out that the opossum wouldn't like that a cat would? Once I can see Sullivan on the camera, I will put out the humane trap. Should I trap the opossum & relocate?
Any advise is much appreciated. I want my Sullivan home. Thank you!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The only suggestion I can make is to google what Opossum's eat and take it from there. Try to find something that they DON't eat and that your Sullivan likes and hope for the best.

Good luck trapping your boy :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kshell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only suggestion I can make is to google what Opossum's eat and take it from there. Try to find something that they DON't eat and that your Sullivan likes and hope for the best.

Good luck trapping your boy :crossfingers:
Thank you - I did some research and it seems that opossum's like pretty much everything a cat likes. I got a lot of answers to what an opossum likes but a cat doesn't - seems like there is pretty much no limit to what they like. I am trying a change of food to KFC - someone told me cats really come to that- I bet my friend Mr. Possum shows up :-)
Thanks again for your feedback & the well wishes!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Try baiting the trap with something that smells of home. You could use the litter from your cat's litter box, dust from your vacuum cleaner bag, your cat's bedding or a t-shirt you have been wearing.

I think that if you do trap the possum it would be better to keep him crated with food and water and then release him in the same place once your cat is home again. Most wild animals are very territorial, releasing him in a strange area could be very bad for him.