Lost 4 of 6 kittens

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I’m back for more of your wisdom for my poor foster kittens. I’m doing everything I can, but I’m ultimately looking for opinions on what may be making my group so sick.

I picked up a new group from the shelter last week - a mom and six 10 day old babies. They were healthy and nursing well. One kitten developed yellow diarrhea within 4 days. Then another. Then all of them by day 6. The original kitten who first showed diarrhea passed away Tuesday morning. He was weak, dehydrated, and losing weight. He also vomited twice before ultimately dying. Same thing happened for another kitten that night. 2 days later, 2 more kittens died. Some vomiting, some not. But all had yellow diarrhea. I did try tube feeding all of them and I think that may have irritated their already bothered stomach.

now I have 2 left. One is actually looking better. He’s playing and curious, he hasn’t gained weight yet but he hasn’t lost any so that’s an improvement. I am tube feeding him small meals to ensure nutrition while he also nurses from mom during the day. He still has yellow diarrhea though. No vomiting.

The other kitten isn’t looking too good. He’s weak, dehydrated, and now he feels cool. He has yellow diarrhea. I have him on a warming bed and am tube feeding him as well. He has given up, he no longer nurses or cries out.

The kittens were evaluated by the vet on Tuesday and started on Pyrantel. By Thursday there was no improvement so we did one dose of Albon yesterday, and one dose today.
The vet thinks the mothers milk composition changed due to a heat cycle and she isn’t nourishing the kittens like they need.
I’m wondering if worms can wipe out almost an entire litter this quickly, or if this is panleuk? Could one kitten rebound quickly and just be lucky if it is panleuk? The shelter doesn’t have snap tests to see if it is, but I’ll be taking a break from fostering after this group just to be safe for future litters.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh - so sorry this is happening. Bright yellow diarrhea is usually a sign of coccidia, which is a nasty parasite and can wipe out tiny kittens quickly.

In addition to keeping them hydrated with formula mixed with unflavored pedialyte instead of water, they need a round of Albon or Ponazuril (which actually cures faster than Albon).

The coccidia was probably transmitted to the kittens through mom’s milk, and she needs treating for it too, but mature cats handle it better and do not usually die.

You’ll need to thoroughly clean your cat / kitten area with a bleach and water mixture before taking in any new fosters.

Has the lethargic kitten been started on Albon?
B bee9212

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh, I’m back for more of your wisdom for my poor foster kittens. I’m doing everything I can, but I’m ultimately looking for opinions on what may be making my group so sick.

I picked up a new group from the shelter last week - a mom and six 10 day old babies. They were healthy and nursing well. One kitten developed yellow diarrhea within 4 days. Then another. Then all of them by day 6. The original kitten who first showed diarrhea passed away Tuesday morning. He was weak, dehydrated, and losing weight. He also vomited twice before ultimately dying. Same thing happened for another kitten that night. 2 days later, 2 more kittens died. Some vomiting, some not. But all had yellow diarrhea. I did try tube feeding all of them and I think that may have irritated their already bothered stomach.

now I have 2 left. One is actually looking better. He’s playing and curious, he hasn’t gained weight yet but he hasn’t lost any so that’s an improvement. I am tube feeding him small meals to ensure nutrition while he also nurses from mom during the day. He still has yellow diarrhea though. No vomiting.

The other kitten isn’t looking too good. He’s weak, dehydrated, and now he feels cool. He has yellow diarrhea. I have him on a warming bed and am tube feeding him as well. He has given up, he no longer nurses or cries out.

The kittens were evaluated by the vet on Tuesday and started on Pyrantel. By Thursday there was no improvement so we did one dose of Albon yesterday, and one dose today.
The vet thinks the mothers milk composition changed due to a heat cycle and she isn’t nourishing the kittens like they need.
I’m wondering if worms can wipe out almost an entire litter this quickly, or if this is panleuk? Could one kitten rebound quickly and just be lucky if it is panleuk? The shelter doesn’t have snap tests to see if it is, but I’ll be taking a break from fostering after this group just to be safe for future litters.
Im sorry for you going through this.

Im a little suprised the vet though it was worms giving them pyrantel. OK, they MAY have worms, but these problems are much more probably some parasite, alike coccidia or guardia. Precisely as SArthur talks about...
The standard here is Albon, or Ponazuril which works quicker. (but why vets dont prescribe Ponazuril as their main weapon, I dont know. Perhaps some negative extra effects??). Anyway, please phone the vet and ask for something suitable for parasites. Albon to start NOW if he doesnt have time for examination.

Excellent you are able to do tube feeding. We usually dont mention it, because its difficult and dangerous for a new be to try out by herself. You must be shown by someone knowleable how to do it, and have suitable gears. But if done properly, its a wonderful help, verry useful for rescuers, esp for weak kittens alike prematures.
So, to your question. Unless you are very unskilled; nay, tube feeding wont add to their problems, quite the opposite, it should lessen the burden on them, and make everything easier for everyone.

I also agree with you: do give them extra feeding although they have momma with them. If momma have any useful milk, they will suckle from her anyway, because momma is momma and its always nice to suckle.

What kmr do you give them? Are you able to get raw goats milk, or a goat milk based kmr? Most kmr are fully adequate, but raw goats milk may have an edge in some situations.

As they do have diarrhea, its important they get extra salts and electrolytes. The easiest way if you mix out the kmr with flavorless pedialyte; the same as for human babies; instead of just fresh water. And of course, give more fluids than otherwise... All extra fluids should be pedialyte; bought or homemade... Also, pedialyte does contain some glucose sugar, so its some extra calories for free.

Otherwise, I do notice you are well knowleable in the basic, and are doing well.... Not your fault you did run into a difficult situation...

Warm hugs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words and wisdom! I am so appreciative. Yes the mom has been dewormed just as the kittens have.

The 5th kitten died early this morning. The remaining 6th kitten is still with us. He’s still curious and following mom around. Still suckling, still tube feeding, and maintaining his weight right now. He does still have yellow diarrhea. I gave him some pro-pectalin this morning.

I also took him back to the shelter to be evaluated as he’s the lone survivor now. We’ve had panleuk in the shelter this summer so we can’t rule it out. They want me to continue as is and add in Albon 0.1ml twice a day. I have been giving him Rebound liquid with meals but can switch to pedialyte if that’s better for him?

Again, so thankful for you! Sometimes it helps just to talk it through to make sure I’m doing everything I can for these little ones.

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im sorry for you going through this.

Im a little suprised the vet though it was worms giving them pyrantel. OK, they MAY have worms, but these problems are much more probably some parasite, alike coccidia or guardia. Precisely as SArthur talks about...
The standard here is Albon, or Ponazuril which works quicker. (but why vets dont prescribe Ponazuril as their main weapon, I dont know. Perhaps some negative extra effects??). Anyway, please phone the vet and ask for something suitable for parasites. Albon to start NOW if he doesnt have time for examination.

Excellent you are able to do tube feeding. We usually dont mention it, because its difficult and dangerous for a new be to try out by herself. You must be shown by someone knowleable how to do it, and have suitable gears. But if done properly, its a wonderful help, verry useful for rescuers, esp for weak kittens alike prematures.
So, to your question. Unless you are very unskilled; nay, tube feeding wont add to their problems, quite the opposite, it should lessen the burden on them, and make everything easier for everyone.

I also agree with you: do give them extra feeding although they have momma with them. If momma have any useful milk, they will suckle from her anyway, because momma is momma and its always nice to suckle.

What kmr do you give them? Are you able to get raw goats milk, or a goat milk based kmr? Most kmr are fully adequate, but raw goats milk may have an edge in some situations.

As they do have diarrhea, its important they get extra salts and electrolytes. The easiest way if you mix out the kmr with flavorless pedialyte; the same as for human babies; instead of just fresh water. And of course, give more fluids than otherwise... All extra fluids should be pedialyte; bought or homemade... Also, pedialyte does contain some glucose sugar, so its some extra calories for free.

Otherwise, I do notice you are well knowleable in the basic, and are doing well.... Not your fault you did run into a difficult situation...

Warm hugs!
I am tube feeding powdered goats milk right now. I do have powdered kmr on hand but I initially thought that may be contributing to the upset tummy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
. I have been giving him Rebound liquid with meals but can switch to pedialyte if that’s better for him?
I'm reading that since Rebound is specifically formulated for animals it's probably better than Pedialyte.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm reading that since Rebound is specifically formulated for animals it's probably better than Pedialyte.
Interesting tip. Tx!

Im sure rebound is good, but the usage is probably slightly different: pedialyte is for giving fluids, if necessary in big amounts. It contains also salts and electrolytes, and glucose sugar; in amounts comparable with natural body fluids.

So do continue with this Rebound, it seems to be a terrific product.

But use also pedialyte, bought or home-made. Of the bought, this unflavored for babies is best; it doesnt not contain any funny additives.

Pedialyte is also useful in two critical conditions, where digestations doesnt work:

In cold kittens - here is also glucose sugar useful. Glucose sugar in USA will be typically given as a droplet of white caro syrup rubbet on the gum under the lip..... Glucose sugar goes directly into the blood, doesnt not need to be digested.
And thus, you can parallelly give them this help; pedialyte and or glucose sugar; and continue to warm them up.

In seemingly dying kittens; where the digestation has stopped... You can often keep them alive for a good several days with pedialyte... Hopefully giving them time to recover and bounce back.... Say, giving the antibiotica time to work.
This is no Remedy For Everything; are they dieying so they are dieing. But sometimes it buys you time. In a situation where you are in a dilemma: They must get feed to have any chance to survive; but the digestion is no longer working...

So, unless your deeper knowledge about Rebound tells you to use just the Rebound;
my suggestion would be; do both.

give them pedialyte as extra (dilute the goats powder with pedialyte), and also, add some drops of this Rebound.

Ps. Yes, goats milk powder should do OK.

B bee9212

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting tip. Tx!

Im sure rebound is good, but the usage is probably slightly different: pedialyte is for giving fluids, if necessary in big amounts. It contains also salts and electrolytes, and glucose sugar; in amounts comparable with natural body fluids.

So do continue with this Rebound, it seems to be a terrific product.

But use also pedialyte, bought or home-made. Of the bought, this unflavored for babies is best; it doesnt not contain any funny additives.

Pedialyte is also useful in two critical conditions, where digestations doesnt work:

In cold kittens - here is also glucose sugar useful. Glucose sugar in USA will be typically given as a droplet of white caro syrup rubbet on the gum under the lip..... Glucose sugar goes directly into the blood, doesnt not need to be digested.
And thus, you can parallelly give them this help; pedialyte and or glucose sugar; and continue to warm them up.

In seemingly dying kittens; where the digestation has stopped... You can often keep them alive for a good several days with pedialyte... Hopefully giving them time to recover and bounce back.... Say, giving the antibiotica time to work.
This is no Remedy For Everything; are they dieying so they are dieing. But sometimes it buys you time. In a situation where you are in a dilemma: They must get feed to have any chance to survive; but the digestion is no longer working...

So, unless your deeper knowledge about Rebound tells you to use just the Rebound;
my suggestion would be; do both.

give them pedialyte as extra (dilute the goats powder with pedialyte), and also, add some drops of this Rebound.

Ps. Yes, goats milk powder should do OK.

B bee9212
Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice. I’ve named the little guy “Gus” and he’s still fighting to this day. He looks fair on the outside, he’s not dehydrated thanks to the fluids and rebound but we’re still fighting yellow diarrhea and very slow weight gain. He’s really just maintaining weight with nursing and tube feeding. We go back to the vet tomorrow to see what else we can do. I’m pretty pleased with how things are going right now and how he’s not worsening like everyone else did. I think we just need to find the trick to get him over this hurdle. Here’s a pic of him and mama “Honey” DF29881E-368A-4678-BAF8-EFA4CE0C17D3.jpeg 03274D28-7F32-4B2C-B5A7-FCCB9F904F0F.jpeg

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Gus has panleukopenia. Confirmed via snap parvo test this morning at the shelter. We’re continuing what we’ve been doing and just praying he makes it through.
Any and all advice regarding panleuk is appreciated. I’ve fostered for 12 years and haven’t dealt with it (not that I know of, at least). I’ve just boostered my resident cats since they’re at the 3 year mark. I’ve always quarantined fosters to a separate room but the shelter gave me some Rescue cleaner to use.

ugh 😩

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.....my experiences aren't good concerning distemper. But all three of the cats I have now are survivors of it when it swept through the outside cats a few years ago. Some DO survive, so hang in there, I'll pray for that sweet boy....

Mama of Mookie Du Blue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It sounds like panleukopenia . Distemper for cats...like parvo for dogs. Very contagious and lethal. Need to take to vet asap

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, Gus has panleukopenia. Confirmed via snap parvo test this morning at the shelter. We’re continuing what we’ve been doing and just praying he makes it through.
Any and all advice regarding panleuk is appreciated. I’ve fostered for 12 years and haven’t dealt with it (not that I know of, at least). I’ve just boostered my resident cats since they’re at the 3 year mark. I’ve always quarantined fosters to a separate room but the shelter gave me some Rescue cleaner to use.

ugh 😩
Ouch... This of course explains why the others died...

You have right; its just to fight on, and give good overall care... Some do survive.

Now, for some ideas how to reinforce:

Powdered goats milk is OK as nourishment, and better than a so so kmr. But can you get raw goats milk? This has some potential edge, and he will need every extra trick... Raw honey; you can blend a little into the mixture... Raw honey does have some potential antibiotic properties; and also, gives extra calories for free...

For a human I would recommend crushed garlic and onion, but these are poisonous for cats... Still could probably be used on the outside; say against an infected wound. Or a crushed paw.

L-lysine works aganst some virues, Im not sure how its with distemper-virus... But is harmless by itself, afaik.

An IR heat lamp to give warmth; useful when you are handfeeding or weighting; the kitten doesnt risk to get chilled off...
Massage it with your fingertops; its useful both for the blood circulation; and feels nice for the kitten...

Praying is too a mighty tool. If it really helps may be discussed; but it will give YOU the streng to endure and manage to continue...

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, with all your prayers, little Gus is in the clear and an official survivor of panleukopenia! He is now 7 weeks, eating and playing like normal, and will be going on to the adoption floor with mom once they are both vaccinated and ready!

some tricks I used in case another reader finds this thread amidst panleuk….

B12 injection SQ. 0.1ml. I give during a crisis or if I feel a kitten is fading. It’s water soluble and safe to give.

Powdered goats milk. I found it easier on his stomach.

Rebound Recuperation Formula (on Amazon). I added a small amount to every feeding.

Adored Beast Gut Soothe (I had this on hand, my resident cat uses it daily) any probiotic will be beneficial though

Rescue cleaner (on Amazon). Use it daily to decrease viral load in the environment. I will do another round of cleaning once these fosters leave for adoption. I will also be on a hiatus from taking young or unvaccinated kittens because of the environmental factor Panleuk provides 😞

Attachments