Loss of Mobility

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For anyone that's caring for a cat that is losing it's ability to walk, my little guy finds that the cardboard flat that a case of wet cat food comes in, and the lids that Chewy puts over flats of cat food for shipping, work really well for helping move around. The sides are low enough that he can get out if he needs to, but are sturdy enough to help him move and re-position himself in his weakened state.

Don't forget that illness is never a straight line - continue to offer food and water until the end.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent tip! Caring for the ill/disabled is challenging but a great opportunity to provide extra affection and loving care. I would add that reading body language is especially important because someone feeling ill may not necessarily want touch or voice, just a calming presence; however, I have noticed hesitant cats (and people) often "do a 180" and desire touch, affection, conversation which is totally out of character. Your little guy is blessed to have you to care for his needs - what a comfort to him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your support. You're so right - I'm careful to give him the space he needs watching his body language for clues. It's tough because as his "mommy" I want to pet him and be beside him but for a while now he's sent me clear messages that he doesn't want that, at least for the moment.