Loss of appetite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Threecatsandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well it looks like I spoke too soon, the drooling seemed to have stopped for a bit this afternoon, but he just ate dinner (Rabbit Instinct wet) and he’s back to large amounts of drool.

FeebysOwner is correct in that this was the vet that dismissed Ondansetron and when I asked AGAIN today about it, she said ”dosing is difficult” but she can look it up if we would like. We have 4 mg Ondansetron at home and I’m tempted to maybe try that tomorrow (instead of the Cerenia) without consulting the vet since he is not vomiting.

Just last week, I had the exact same conversation (Cerenia vs. Ondansetron) with a different vet at the same practice for one of other other cats (diabetic/CKD). I prefer this other vet, but he wasn’t there today. He didn’t have any issues with Ondansetron and told me it is generally better for nausea (without vomiting), so I’m getting a little concerned with this particular vet we are working with right now for Simba.

I just have a bad sense that something more serious is going on and am feeling horrible that I didn’t push further about dental issues while we were there today. I hate thinking that he might be in pain as he’s drooling away and we are only giving him Cerenia (he seems to be relaxed and acting normally otherwise, but I know they can hide it well). She did say we could continue to give him gabapentin as needed, but that doesn’t sit quite right with me.

The vet said since he just had a dental November 28 (with extractions), that they did X-rays after, and that she didn’t see anything in his mouth today, that something dental is at the bottom of her list. Note: this was not the vet who did the dental.

If we do the endoscopy and since he would have to be sedated, then I plan to push for a full mouth exam with
X-rays, regardless of his recent dental. I can’t believe they got a really good and full look in his mouth today (he let them open several times and they shined a light in his mouth).

I’m super stressed about the diet and recommendation that he start a LID diet for the next 7-10 days eliminating poultry. I guess he could have developed a new sensitivity recently?
She recommended Koha LID, but it would take likely at least 5 days to even get here (and the only non poultry option is rabbit). I have a few cans of beef Rawz and rabbit, neither of which he really liked (he preferred chicken or turkey and she is telling us to avoid poultry). Plus, do I try and transition him to a new food (Rawz) over the next few days? I have some canned Feline Naturals Beef and Hoki on hand that I thought of trying (he did generally eat that, but we have been avoiding fish). But if he is nauseous, I’m not sure how much other food to keep trying (and which ones) instead of what seems to have been working the last few years (although, maybe we were missing some signs).

I did recently just purchase EZ complete that I haven’t made yet, with the plans to try and transition our cats to that (starting with lamb and beef). I was planning to do lightly cooked, rather than raw at this point. I’m leaning more toward that route right now if I do anything, rather than spend all the money on ordering Koha or more Rawz that he may not even eat.

I guess I’m rambling away here. Likely a way to deal with the anxiety and worry and to journal some of this experience here, so please forgive the blabbering on.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just want to know why some sort of food allergy would only cause drooling? Did the vet explain that? No vomiting, no stool changes, just drooling???? I honestly can't speak to the idea of changing his food at this time (sorry), as it is throwing me off that all of a sudden he has food allergies to his usual foods. Yes, cats can develop a food allergy at any point in time, but to all of the different things he eats at the very same time?? Maybe chart what he eats, and see if the drooling is less, more, or not at all. If you see a pattern, that would be helpful.

My vet prescribed ondansetron at 4mg 2-3 times a day, for what it is worth. She said lower doses are not usually as effective. Just her opinion, and I can't say one way or the other, because when I get Feeby to take it, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference in how she eats. But, Feeby's issues are totally separate.