Loss Of Appetite, But In Good Spirits. Food Suggestions?

tinn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's very possible I'm worrying over nothing, but my cat has an incredible appetite, most of the time. She wakes me up every morning begging for breakfast, and in the evening for her dinner as soon as I walk in the door. She meows very loudly until I place it in front of her, and scarfs all her food down within minutes. But lately she has not been begging for food at all, and when I place it in front of her she sniffs it and walks away. She is 13 and has IBS so I switched her to a mostly raw diet (Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried, which has worked wonders!) and supplement it with high quality canned food to keep the cost down. Some meals she doesn't touch her food barely at all, and other times it seems like she's started grazing. She does end up eating most of the food I've given her, but I've never known her to do this in 13 years, and for being so food-driven most of the time, it seems very strange. One day she even stood over her bowl and scratched at the wall above, as if she was burying it. It's the same food I've been feeding her for months-years.

Some things of note, my fiancee and I recently had a patio put in (about three weeks ago), that was several days of strangers in the backyard, and noise, but there was no strange eating habits then. The week after it was completed, we went out of town for a long weekend and his mother (who she doesn't know well) came to feed her. She fed her slightly later than typical, but still twice a day, and exactly what I've been feeding her. She seemed to have a loss of appetite from the point we got home, on, so this has been the case for about a week and a half. We've gone out of town before and this has never happened before. Her behaviour has been exactly the same otherwise. She's very playful, cuddly, purrs a lot, isn't hiding or howling, and her bowel movements and water intake seems the same as always.

Is it possible that things are just slightly out of whack for her and we just need to wait to let things go back to normal? Is she just getting older and loss of appetite/wanting to eat smaller meals goes along with that? If she did decide to make the change over to "grazing", does anyone have a suggestion of a high quality (grain free) food that can be left out for hours at a time? I get nervous when she doesn't eat her raw food quickly (and canned too, but to a lesser extent) because I don't want it to sit out too long and go bad.

Thank you in advance!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
If she’s not eating I would investigate further to make sure she’s not sick. Cats are masters at hiding their pain. Do her ears feel warm? How about her teeth and gums? Are her gums red? She could be having tooth pain. A blood panel and urine test may be a good idea, especially since she’s older age.

I doubt she suddenly wants to graze on food. Cats aren’t grazers by nature, that would be odd.

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that things are just slightly out of whack for her and we just need to wait to let things go back to normal?
There is a chance this could be it! There is also a chance she might not be feeling well for what ever reason, a change in eating habits can often signal this. If you are worried and can afford it, I would bring her to the vet for a check up and see if there is anything else going on.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she just getting older and loss of appetite/wanting to eat smaller meals goes along with that?
I don't know about IBS specifically but Hima's vets (and some vets on the internet) told me small meals throughout the day are more natural for cats and better for their health too - easier on the digestive system and apparently even helps to not get urinary issues.

When there's an appetite change without total loss of appetite, I would first check if the food is in good condition or if she eats something else. Then because my Hima sadly has dental issues I always think of dental problems, does she eat soft foods like mousse texture? Or if you are giving something cold, maybe the cold food makes her mouth uncomfortable.

If the vet says it's safe with her, maybe you can try FortiFlora. Apparently it also helps cats to eat.

Hima eats Acana Wild Prairie grain-free food. Personally I find the brands that go on feeding trials in the USA safer (Royal Canin, Pro Plan, Hill's) and Pro Plan and Hill's also have grain-free foods but I haven't tried them. So I can't really recommend Acana with confidence but no other dry food worked as well for Hima (yet.) It's also softer in texture than the other kibbles she has tried and it helps her gum sensitivity too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your feedback and concern. I brought Cam to the vet today because she's had some more frequent hairballs, and then vomiting a clear liquid (no color or any solids in it). The vet wasn't concerned about her having a fever (thank you for that suggestion, I keep checking her ears) or any pain in her teeth or abdomen. She prescribed anti-nausea medication and told me to keep an eye on her for the next few days. She thinks it may be a new sensitivity/allergy to a food (which is hard to pinpoint because I rotate her proteins, and no food is new to her). She said if she vomits on this medication to bring her back for tests (the last ones she had done were 6 months ago, and everything was normal--she gets very stressed out at the vet, so we tried keeping it easy today). She thought it could possibly be pancreatitis, brought on by a combination of IBS and stress in the last few weeks, but that will require sedation and an x-ray to determine. I can keep you posted if anyone would like more information on this as we move forward. Thanks again.