Loss Of Appetite After Vaccination

stiv

crazy tortie lady
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently posted another thread about my cat's inappropriate urination, but now I have questions about something else.
So, I took my 12.5 year old cat, Autumn, to the vet Thursday because of peeing outside the box as she has a history of FLUTD, they did bloodwork, took urine, and updated her vaccines. The blood results did come back today, but I missed the call because I sleep during the day and will have to wait til Monday morning to give them another call.
Since the visit, she hasn't been eating as much. When I first noticed this, I just threw away the food that was sitting out and replaced it, and she ate some of that afterward. Thought the problem was solved, you know? However today, she didn't really touch her breakfast. She ate a few bites of a different food, but lost interest. She is cleaning herself and playing, and isn't completely anorexic, but still isn't eating near as much as she normally does.
Doing some googling, this doesn't seem unusual after vaccination, especially not after the rabies vax; she had both rabies and distemper done, and the vet said she may seem tired. If she ate last night, should I just keep an eye on how much she's eaten? I intend to bring it up when I call back on Monday, and will try baby food tomorrow if I come home and her food's untouched.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd go ahead and schedule an appointment. If nothing else she may be getting slightly dehydrated and benefit from fluids. To check for dehydration pinch the skin between her shoulder blades and see how quickly it goes down. It if take more than a two count to go down she is dehydrated.

It isn't unusual for a cat to feel slightly sick for a few days after vaccines. Since she is eating something she isn't at risk for fatty liver or long term damage from eating less for a few days. She should go back to normal eating within 3-5 days after the vaccine. If she doesn't or she stops eating altogether you'd definitely want to see a vet.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is she doing today? Hopefully she is eating better now? My guys are often a bit off for 24 to 48 hours after vaccines, but then back to normal. If it goes on much longer i would have her checked again.

Do let us know what your vet says on Monday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stiv

crazy tortie lady
Young Cat
Purraise
Much better today - ate her breakfast and woke me up to demand lunch. HL is a major fear of mine because she's an older, overweight kitty, though she is finally losing weight on the diet regimen I put together, so hopefully I'm bringing her risk down some. I will let you all know what the vet says - I intend to call right when they open.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At 12.5 yrs old she shouldn't need annual vaccinations unless she goes outside. It's normal for some loss of appetite and lethargy following vaccinations. I'm glad she's feeling better and hope you can work with the vet to find out what's going on with her litterbox issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stiv

crazy tortie lady
Young Cat
Purraise
The town I live in requires cat licensing that gets renewed yearly and requires proof of a three-year rabies vax regardless of whether or not they go out, and my other senior kitty is very wily and loves to sneak out through any means necessary (one time she clawed through a four inch thick styrofoam board covering a tiny window gap at my old place!) so I keep everyone's vax up to date. My vet and I were mostly concerned about me catching a fine as license renewal is due by the end of the month. I'm sure its possible to get an exemption, which I plan on pursuing next time as she'll be nearly 16 by then.
She has FLUTD that was diagnosed when she was 9, so its extremely likely that's all that's going on with her, but obviously i wanted to make sure nothing else is wrong and am prepared for a few different outcomes.