Losing weight on raw diet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a recipie at Hare Today: https://www.hare-today.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=290 Has anyone used it?

There's also one at the Alnutrin web site: http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/alnutrin_for_meat.html I was thinking of using this one unless someone else thinks otherwise?

So Oma'sPride is too much bone. Neither cat has any issuse with constipation or poop appearance. Is Hare Today a better choice to use?

Guess the cats are getting a whole 3 oz can of soup food plus a little of the raw for their meals for the time being. Good thing I keep a couple of cans on hand at all times
I need to restock this weekend. Since Leroy eats three times a day (his insistence), is three cans too much? Or since he needs to gain weight, the more food the better?

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is so easy to use Alnutrin with the Hare Today bone-in grinds. If you buy the Alnutrin from Hare Today it comes with a scoop. For the meat with bone you mix one scoop for every lbs. of meat.

I was just reading that to much calcium can result in a cat being unable to use nutrients. Be aware that Hare Today grinds ( at least their poultry and rabbit) contain high bone percentage. Iadd one lbs. of boneless for every 4 lbs. I mix. except for the chubs that I only buy in 1 lbs . I also use Dr. Peirson's recipe for chicken and turkey but I de-bone the chicken and turkey and use the Alnutrin for boneless. I am just hedging my bets when it comes to bone content. None of my cats have been constipated on the Hare Today I just feel better doing a variety of things.  I am thinking that when these 2 bags of Alnutrin are gone I will begin making my own mix of the nutrients.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It is so easy to use Alnutrin with the Hare Today bone-in grinds. If you buy the Alnutrin from Hare Today it comes with a scoop. For the meat with bone you mix one scoop for every lbs. of meat.

I was just reading that to much calcium can result in a cat being unable to use nutrients. Be aware that Hare Today grinds ( at least their poultry and rabbit) contain high bone percentage. Iadd one lbs. of boneless for every 4 lbs. I mix. except for the chubs that I only buy in 1 lbs . I also use Dr. Peirson's recipe for chicken and turkey but I de-bone the chicken and turkey and use the Alnutrin for boneless. I am just hedging my bets when it comes to bone content. None of my cats have been constipated on the Hare Today I just feel better doing a variety of things.  I am thinking that when these 2 bags of Alnutrin are gone I will begin making my own mix of the nutrients.
I bought Alnutrin from KnowWhatYouFeed.com. I got the prepacked one so one packet is for one pound of meat. I wonder why the scoop one isn't sold on their web site? Since I only make 2 lbs of food at a time, do I still need to add boneless meat?

Both cats got a whole 3oz can of NV for breakfast this morning. They enjoyed the change from the usual raw
121 calories for the chicken Leroy ate and 120 calories for the one my other cat ate. That should hold them until dinner time which will have to be Cats In The Kitchen 3 oz cans. Those are under 100 calories per 3 oz can, though. Probably will have to give some freeze dried raw as well.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought Alnutrin from KnowWhatYouFeed.com. I got the prepacked one so one packet is for one pound of meat. I wonder why the scoop one isn't sold on their web site? Since I only make 2 lbs of food at a time, do I still need to add boneless meat?
You bought the Alnutrin for meat/bone/organ? No source of calcium, correct?

Do you need to add boneless meat to ... what?

I think that given past confusion, it is important to be very clear, and spell everything out in detail.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's not a recipe so much as instructions for the use of Alnutrin for meat/bone/organ. :) Yes, many people on this site use it. I did, when I first started feeding raw.

There's also one at the Alnutrin web site: http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/alnutrin_for_meat.html I was thinking of using this one unless someone else thinks otherwise?
That's the same instructions, just written differently. :)

So Oma'sPride is too much bone. Neither cat has any issuse with constipation or poop appearance. Is Hare Today a better choice to use?
Yes, I think it is, because it's easier to at least estimate the bone content and make adjustments so it is easier to feed appropriately.

Guess the cats are getting a whole 3 oz can of soup food plus a little of the raw for their meals for the time being. Good thing I keep a couple of cans on hand at all times :) I need to restock this weekend. Since Leroy eats three times a day (his insistence), is three cans too much? Or since he needs to gain weight, the more food the better?
You didn't tell us what size the cans are, so there's no way to provide an opinion on this. But cats can overeat and then get sick. I think it's best to gain weight slowly just as it is best to lose weight slowly.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't tell us what size the cans are, so there's no way to provide an opinion on this. But cats can overeat and then get sick. I think it's best to gain weight slowly just as it is best to lose weight slowly.
I totally agree about overeating and getting sick... particularly when there's a sudden change in diet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be aware that Hare Today grinds ( at least their poultry and rabbit) contain high bone percentage. Iadd one lbs. of boneless for every 4 lbs. I mix. except for the chubs that I only buy in 1 lbs .
You bought the Alnutrin for meat/bone/organ? No source of calcium, correct?

Yes, Alnutrin for meat/bone/organ: http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/alnutrin_for_meat.html
I did say 3 oz cans in my post:
Guess the cats are getting a whole 3 oz can of soup food plus a little of the raw for their meals for the time being.

geely

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I emailed Hare today  once about percentage of bone  due to my cat having constipation issues. I feed him a lot of the rabbit.  I was told the rabbit is 15-20 percent bone. So when I make it I usually  buy the 5 lb tub, 1 1b of the boneless and 2 pound of chunks that I cut in smaller pieces for him to chew  and a pound of the ground organs to add a 4-5 extra ounces for the boneless meat.  He is doing real well on it and loosing weight.  But if I didn't want him to loose weight I would probably try feed him meats that were higher in fat than rabbit. I have heard that lamb and duck are good for that.

He is eating about 4 oz a day.

I also noticed when I use digestive enzymes both my cats seem to want to eat more, so I cut down on that and it seems to help.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LTS3- I do add 1 lbs of boneless to every 4 lbs Hare Today. I honestly think it is a good idea for Leroy considering he may have been getting to much bone previously. I need to get a hold of Tracey from HT because I do not know the bone content to some of her products ( quail, pheasant etc.) I intend to order a couple 1 lbs chubs of those to see how my boys like it.

As far as the scoops in Alnutrin that is something that you get if ordering Alnutrin from HT.

I am certain you ( and more importantly Leroy ) will like HT.I am trying to put together an order that will last a few months. Being that it is shipped from PA to CA that is the only way it is affordable for me.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do buy the HT grind from the local pet store so I know Leroy will eat it. I have to ask if they can order the boneless meats. If not, I'll have to order directly from HT. Kind of worried about receiving the box. I know it wil be an insulated box with ice pack or something but if it's delivered at, say, 8am it's going to sit in the lobby until I get home from work later that afternoon. I'm worried about the meat defrosting too much.

For now the cats are getting frozen NV Raw Bites and 3 oz cans of food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Hare Today boneless ground chicken on order with the pet store.The owner seemed miffed why I wanted boneless ground meat so I had to explain that I was using a premix that was meant for boneless meat. She never heard of Better In The Raw before. I picked up a bag of the new NV raw medallions for cats while I was at the store.. and the store's cat
The cat loves to ride in shopping baskets

Leroy's tummy apparently can't handle too much canned food. Some Abys have sensitive tummies. I had forgoten how bad commerical food poop can stink
  Leroy's poop is kind of mushy as well. Early this morning he threw up and later wouldn't eat breakfast, not even Stella and Chewy's. I left a bowl of Raw Bites in the fridge and asked Mom to check in on Leroy and try to get him to eat. He did eat the Raw Bites for Mom. Appetite for dinner was good. Tomorrow it's back to NV medallions for Leroy.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LTS3. I really think that if you make sure that you use a premix that is meant for meat containing bone Leroy will be ok. I know some add about 3 lbs of boneless for every 5 lbs of bone in grind. I don't for two reason 1.- My cats have not been constipated. 2- I feed a lot of Turkey and chicken. I feed those without bone and use Alnutrin with eggshell calcium for that.

I figure that rotating between grinds with bone and grinds without they will be ok.

I am sorry that in the past you got bad advice. I think perhaps people not familiar with Better-in-the raw didn't know it was for meat without bone.