Loose Stool Today

poppyheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All

Abra had a loose stool motion this morning and it was really stinky.  Since then she has eaten a little and drunk some water she also ran around the house a bit and used her scratching post (so everything else is normal) she is now happily lying down.

She is up to date with vaccinations and worm, flea treatments etc. I have not changed her diet.

Abra is allowed outside when I am with her, is it possible she could have eaten something that I didn't notice that has upset her stomach?

My vet is shut now until Monday (currently Saturday lunchtime here), do you think it is ok to monitor and see if it a once-off?  If it does worsen should I take her to an emergency vet?

I am always a stress ball when it comes to Abra so any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I would t stress over a one time episode, especially since she appears to be fine otherwise. Just monitor her food/water intake and see if she has any more diarrhea.

If she is having frequent loose/watery stools, has vomiting, stops eating and/or becomes lethargic I would seek medical attention.

My guess is she may have eaten a bug or something outside and it messed her up a little.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

poppyheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the quick response @CatPack. She has still not had another bowel motion and she is not vomiting. I will keep my eye on her as you have mentioned and hopefully it was something from the garden that irritated her tummy and she doesn't have anything else going on.

fodder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have given her milk at all that wasn't designed for pets it can cause this problem. Cats don't deal with lactose too well. Just a thought.

poppyheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks @fodder she is only ever given water and no human food (i am severely lactose intolerant myself so know how awful it can get). Her bowel movement was exactly like an intolerence thing pale stinky runny (yuk i know). She has been good since and hasn't gone down hill so really hoping she is going to be ok.

poppyheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:  Abra had a half loose stool half normal on Sunday and then was normal Monday and Tuesday and last night had another half half motion. 

I called my vet first thing this morning.  They suggested not bringing her in yet as she is still only going once a day, eating and drinking normally and is acting normally. 

The vet wants me to do a worm treatment and then if in a weeks time she is still having issues bring her in then.  My vet has suggested Dontral tablets (I usually use Advantage flea/heartworm/worm as it is easier to administer).  Has anyone had experience with these I looked it up and it says they are chewable?  If you have used did your cat take them easily enough did anyone have issues with this brand?

Thanks

poppyheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again just wanted to give another update and I guess get some info from anyone that has experience in the below.

I was unable to get a worming tablet into Abra (tried 4 times) but did a replacement of her feliway she then had no bowel issues until this week. She has had soft smelly stool the last few days. I took her into the vet and they took a poo sample and checked her over. The vet thinks she may have IBD so has put her on new food she also wormed her (which took 3 people) but she said the test showed no parasites. If no change she will be given a course of Flagyl.

I guess my question is has anyone got any experience with IBD can it be on and off like Abra has had or would it be constant?

Thanks for reading.