Loose poop

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So out of the blue today Charli has loose, squirty, smelly poop.  Other than the poop, which she has done twice, she is fine; playing, etc.  She has had no change in food, she's on raw and currently wants only her rabbit.  There have been no changes here, other than I was really sick with a migraine yesterday, and she was literally glued to me, seemingly very concerned, even insisting on going to the bathroom with me, was literally with me every second.  Could she have gotten stressed??

Any clue what could cause this sudden onset?  What got my attention was the smell, as her box never smells, and I had come back from the store and found it.  She then went again, I actually saw her go, and it was very loose and squirty, made enough of a sound that even she looked back to see what the heck that noise was!

Only thing different was yesterday I put Animal Essential Plant Enzymes and Probiotics in her food.  Could that have done it? I thought it would have the opposite effect.

Right now she's actively playing, her usual self.  She will be 9 months old on the 14th.

Thanks for your input.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'm answering my own question.

I found this on line.  Has anyone experienced probiotics causing loose poop?

Adjustment Phase

When dealing with the delicate balance of good versus evil bacteria in a cat's gut, there are usually going to be some side effects. As your cat first starts taking the probiotics, he may develop or continue to have diarrhea for a few days. This is normal as the bacteria battle for supremacy. Once the tide turns and the good bacteria start overtaking the bad, his bouts of diarrhea should fade, and leave him feeling better.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Maybe I'm answering my own question.

I found this on line.  Has anyone experienced probiotics causing loose poop?

Adjustment Phase

When dealing with the delicate balance of good versus evil bacteria in a cat's gut, there are usually going to be some side effects. As your cat first starts taking the probiotics, he may develop or continue to have diarrhea for a few days. This is normal as the bacteria battle for supremacy. Once the tide turns and the good bacteria start overtaking the bad, his bouts of diarrhea should fade, and leave him feeling better.
why did you start probiotics in the first place if the stool was normal?  Some probiotics do cause diarrhea in some cats.  the bacterial balance in a cat's GI tract can be delicate, why fix something that isn't broken?  Are you giving your cat this under a Vet's advice?

Last edited:

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not under vet's advice, no. 

She's raw fed, and I found it while reading up on raw fed that it's beneficial to give probiotics.

Had previously not read anything that would indicate it could cause upset until I specifically did a

search for that after her issue today.

I'm going to not give her any more.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Not under vet's advice, no. 

She's raw fed, and I found it while reading up on raw fed that it's beneficial to give probiotics.

Had previously not read anything that would indicate it could cause upset until I specifically did a

search for that after her issue today.

I'm going to not give her any more.
OK that sounds like a plan :-)

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's definitely the plan...

Don't need my baby with this kind of upset.

Thanks.

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, she vomited tonight.  I've now gone from concerned to worried.  She had another movement, really really loose.

I see a vet visit tomorrow, this has me worried. 

I just gave her a spoonful of chicken baby food, so she wouldn't go to bed with empty tummy....hope it stays down.

:(

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After another loose poop last night at 11:30, that seems to be the end of it.  It's 4:45 p.m. here, and she has not gone since.  She is playing, peeing fine, and she is super hungry, but I'm afraid to feed her so have been giving her baby food only.  I just now gave her about an ounce of weruva chicken in pumpkin soup, hoping that would be nice and mild and the pumpkin would be good for the tummy....crossing fingers no more poo issues. 

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Late last night she had a soft but not runny, non smelly poop, which seems to be returning back to normal.  That was about 24 hours after the last awful one, so I was thankful for that.   I also am not hearing any more of the intestinal growly noises that I was hearing that first day.  She's completely normal otherwise, super playful, happy, good appetite.  I'm going to keep her on the weruva chicken/pumpkin for another day at least; she seems to really like it anyhow, I may just keep her on it a bit longer if I can find more at the store (I bought all they had the other day).

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know....but I'm a little gun shy now with the raw, I have to say.   She's better now, it's still a little soft, but it's completely formed.  I've got her still on the Chicken/pumpkin by Weruva, gonna keep that up for another day or so, she sure loves it anyhow!    She's playing and has a great appetite, so I'm pretty confident this little storm is over, but I have several packets of this food left, so I'm just going to keep her on it for a couple more days until it's gone...but I have to say, I'm giving serious thought to taking her off raw, for my own peace of mind, really.  She LOVES her food, and she keeps begging for it now, but when she sees I'm not making it, she goes ahead and eats what I've put in her dish.   I always warm her raw in a baggie in warm water at the sink, and she hears that water running and she runs to the sink to see if I'm preparing her food...she's disappointed that I'm only washing something, and she will then go ahead and eat the food I've given her...my cute baby.  She turned 9 months old today!  I bought her a bird feeder to put on the window outside where her kitty tree is.  I filled it with seed, and we're just waiting for some birds to find it.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Pride by instinct rockstar rabbit is good or natures variety rabbit both in can no carageenan or fillers. Also tiki cat puka puka chicken white meat and weruva paw licken chicken or cats in the kitchen (also weruva) chicken frick a zee are all the best and available on line.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know... is there something going around. This sounds exactly like what happened to my cat just about a month ago. Out of no place... no change if food.. he did a smelly poop. Over the next 24 hours it got quite bad and he was just pooping water and throwing up (I think due to the diahrrea) and then after about 25 hours it got better, though he has had on and off diarrhea.

My cat seemed completely healthy otherwise. Running around playing except when he kept having to run to the litter box. He isn't on raw food, he is normal food... Earthborn Holistic.

It really makes me wonder.

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Makes me wonder too...weird.

Sounds same as my kitty, but mine was less severe.  She had one really runny one, and that's when she threw up...

It's still soft, but formed and the horrible smell is gone from it. 

I'm keeping her on the chicken and pumpkin for another couple of days.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do cats get something like the 24 hour virus that humans get? Short term sickness with fever, vomiting and diahrea?

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This happens to my soon to be 1 year old cat Twilight periodically as well. It happened tonight in fact. I switched all three of my cats to can and Twilight is the only one who has accepted this switch whole heartedly. Amber who is only a a few months older and Tinit who is almost 2 it's a hit or miss and still have to feed them some dry if I feel they did not eat enough . Twilight however over indulges which I let her because she is petite and could use some more meat on her bones. I may be wrong but I contribute her loose stool to over eating as well as switching from one brand and flavor. What has me concerned is usually she cleans herself impeccably unless she has loose stool and she has long a med. coat with long hair in the back and tail.