Loose Bowels But Cat Still Has Good Appetite

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last week we noticed our cat start to have loose bowels although he has good appetite for food.

It started when we did 2 things which are different since last Monday:
1) We gave him a new dry food which is only single protein ingredient of chicken but has blueberries in the recipe. This is to slowly replace the kibbles he has been eating which the ingredient is not so good.
2) We increase one of the medicine he has for liver issues, which is Zentonil.
However, increase was still within the dosage given by the vet as last time there are too many medicine to give, so most of the time we can only give half tablet.

On Saturday, there were a few vomiting but it has stopped since Sunday afternoon.
Since we noticed the loose bowels, we stopped giving the new dry food and also reduce the dosage back to half gain. This is on Saturday.

The loose bowels continue till now but less, no formed stools yet.
Does anyone experienced similar case with food or medications? How long does the problem goes away or it could be something else?

I have a review appointment with the vet this coming Saturday.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m glad that you have an appointment with your vet scheduled. I’d recommend asking beforehand if they would like a stool sample to run a fecal flotation test. Intestinal parasites are a common cause of diarrhea and loose stools in cats.

I hope your cat is feeling better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m glad that you have an appointment with your vet scheduled. I’d recommend asking beforehand if they would like a stool sample to run a fecal flotation test. Intestinal parasites are a common cause of diarrhea and loose stools in cats.

I hope your cat is feeling better soon!
hi abyeb abyeb , i have a question for "intestinal parasites" does it happen for a fully indoor cat also? It just happened so suddenly and I was tracing on the changes i have made to his diet and medication only.

At the same time, i was looking at other threads and found one reason might be due to my transitioning of him to the new food. He likes the new dry food, on the first two day we mixed the old and new. Subsequently, we gave him mainly the new food. Seems like what i gathered, the transition could be too fast.

Then from the other thread, it seems to go back to the old food, i should have done a transition period as well but i was so worried about the vomiting, thus, decided to fall back on the old food quickly.

HOpe the visit to the vet will give me some indications.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet appointment sounds good. If he is improving, I wouldn't be overly concerned though. Hopefully he will be doing better soon. Then maybe try a slower food transition or medication adjustment, but just one at a time, and see how it goes. Make sure he isn't getting dehydrated from the diarhea.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
hi abyeb abyeb , i have a question for "intestinal parasites" does it happen for a fully indoor cat also? It just happened so suddenly and I was tracing on the changes i have made to his diet and medication only.

At the same time, i was looking at other threads and found one reason might be due to my transitioning of him to the new food. He likes the new dry food, on the first two day we mixed the old and new. Subsequently, we gave him mainly the new food. Seems like what i gathered, the transition could be too fast.

Then from the other thread, it seems to go back to the old food, i should have done a transition period as well but i was so worried about the vomiting, thus, decided to fall back on the old food quickly.

HOpe the visit to the vet will give me some indications.
Indoor cats can get intestinal parasites. It’s less common than with outdoor cats, but it does happen, so it’s always good to check.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
abyeb abyeb and BlueJay BlueJay , thanks for your replies!
I managed to do some research and found after antibiotics treatment, diarrhea can also occurs. I am thinking if it is recommend to give probiotics which i saw in other threads and forums, it can help with diarrhea conditions of many cases including food transition and post-antibiotic treatment.

I am not sure if it is good to give even before the vet visit on Saturday?