Looking To Get An Maine Coon

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking to get an Maine Coon in the next year or two, what questions to ask the breeder? what to look for? and what it is like to own one? what problems should i be aware of? any advice will be greatly appreciated.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you looking for in a cat? If you have particular characteristics that you’re looking for, I would highly recommend that you look at rescues, even breed-specific rescues. Cats don’t have a ton of breed-specific personality traits, and you can get to know a lot more about an animal as an adult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you looking for in a cat? If you have particular characteristics that you’re looking for, I would highly recommend that you look at rescues, even breed-specific rescues. Cats don’t have a ton of breed-specific personality traits, and you can get to know a lot more about an animal as an adult.
loyal, social, friendly, i really like tabbies, i just really want an Maine Coon based on what i have read about them, they seems like awesome cats and they looks so beautiful.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoe is not a purebred maine coon but she is loyal, social, friendly and extremely smart. I can take her outside off leash and she does not leave my property. She was relatively easy to teach to not leave my property.

She is most definitely beautiful.

I got her at the age of three from the Ottawa Humane Society.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would recommend looking into rescues and shelters! I think you will find an awesome cat who at least looks a lot like a Maine coon, and you can get to know them.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote for checking the shelters and online classifieds for cats needing a home.

Given time, you will find exotic and unique cats from these sources.

And dont forget, no cats of any breed are guaranteed to have specific personalities.

Here are pics of greg and arnold. Both cats are very loving, highly interactive with my wife and me, physically magnificent, 20 and 22lbs and often mistakenly thought to be pedigrees.

Yet they are mixed breeds and were found for free on kijiji.ca!

Dont discount shelter and mixed breeds.
20170317_170007.jpg
20180227_192440-1.jpg

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I biased? Answer - DEFINITELY NOT.
Well, maybe I am slightly.
OK, I am biased so read this with that in mind (much respect for rescue advocates I must say, great advice)
Maine Coons are wonderful IMO and you should get one especially if you like chatting. They're loving, gentle, intelligent, faithful, magical and the rest. As a bonus, their coat doesn't matt as easily as some long hair breeds.
This is my soul mate Oliver telling us what's what.

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am I biased? Answer - DEFINITELY NOT.
Well, maybe I am slightly.
OK, I am biased so read this with that in mind (much respect for rescue advocates I must say, great advice)
Maine Coons are wonderful IMO and you should get one especially if you like chatting. They're loving, gentle, intelligent, faithful, magical and the rest. As a bonus, their coat doesn't matt as easily as some long hair breeds.
This is my soul mate Oliver telling us what's what.

I bet Oliver is spoilt by you two... He's a great conversationalist!

Back to OPs question. I took in a kitten who the vet and ^^ mightyboosh mightyboosh among others believe to be at the very least part maine coon. Since finding him I've read up on maine coons and I have to say it's definitely the breed of cat I would have picked due to its traits.

So based on the fact that we think Tiger is a maine coon, and owning him as a kitten so far: loveable, loyal, super affectionate, really loud purrball, trills when he's happy (even when taking a poop), yowls when he's been locked out of a room, plays verrrry rough, growing fast, eats alot, grooms my hair, plays chase with my husband (like a dog!) And does giant pees and poops so lots of litter tray cleaning. All in all a fantastically friendly and confident kitty.

No idea on the breeder bit :-) good luck in finding your fur baby!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read up on maine coons and I have to say it's definitely the breed of cat I would have picked due to its traits.
Now you've had the beautiful little big fellow for a while, don't you think it was a spookily fortuitous moment when you came across that box? It could turn into a mini legend with your family and the folks on here.

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now you've had the beautiful little big fellow for a while, don't you think it was a spookily fortuitous moment when you came across that box? It could turn into a mini legend with your family and the folks on here.
What makes it even spookiest was that I had just experienced a loss, everyone telling me he was a little angel that I found. Myself and my husband had been talking about getting a kitten or two as well!! His lovely affection has certainly helped me to heal :-)

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What makes it even spookiest was that I had just experienced a loss, everyone telling me he was a little angel that I found. Myself and my husband had been talking about getting a kitten or two as well!! His lovely affection has certainly helped me to heal :-)
There ya go then, a family legend already. Obviously you'll have to embroider the tale over the years as all good legends have to be so how about this for starters.
It was a dark and stormy day and lightening bolts lit the ether with malign intent. Then suddenly it stopped as if commanded by a higher power. A perfect rainbow then shone in the sky as if begging me to find the treasure. At the end of the rainbow was a little box...…………….etc.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There ya go then, a family legend already. Obviously you'll have to embroider the tale over the years as all good legends have to be so how about this for starters.
It was a dark and stormy day and lightening bolts lit the ether with malign intent. Then suddenly it stopped as if commanded by a higher power. A perfect rainbow then shone in the sky as if begging me to find the treasure. At the end of the rainbow was a little box...…………….etc.
mightyboosh mightyboosh - Bob says that you're recounting the Creation of the Norse skogkatt.

10 Furry Facts About Norwegian Forest Cats

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read it and er...ahem...cough......don't show this to Bob.

Quote: Typical male Norwegian Forest cats can range anywhere from 13 to 22 pounds.
mightyboosh mightyboosh - Bob says, "those are British Pounds, and that was written before Brexit, when the Pound was $1.64 against the American Dollar. Twenty-two times 1.64? The perfect weight for a Skogkatt."