Looking to adopt

mickeysgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After having to put down my 14 year old cat, I am ready to adopt a new kitten. I am missing my girl so much and would love to have a new kitten around. I am actually having trouble finding one. Does any one have tips where I can adopt a kitten? My local shelters only have older cats. I also have a dog and think he'd do best with a kitten. :rbheart:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait a couple months. it's not kitten season right now. If you wait until April/May, there will be lots of kittens at the shelter and free kittens ads everywhere.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I was in this place 3 years ago when I lost the second of 2 tabbies I'd had since they were kittens.  Pal crossed the bridge 18th December and I hated not having a cat to share my life with and was in dispare that no one I knew who usually had kittens or kittens expected had any signs of new life.  The shelters would only give me older cats that had always been indoor and as I'd had my cats to nearly 18 and 22  I really wanted a kitten again to start the cycle off. I was beside myself without a cat at home, cried every night on my way home from work for several weeks and stayed out whenever I could.

I looked at the internet and paper add's but felt quite sick knowing people I knew nothing about were asking loads of money for tiny kittens and I didn't trust anything in the adverts about the kittens' history.  At that point I headed down the road I had toyed with for a few years and contacted pedigree breeders and even this source was limited, however I did finally find the cat for me.  When I spoke to this one breeder someting clicked, and they had a female expecting kittens within a couple of weeks.  When a single kitten was born just inside the Chinese year of the Tiger I knew we were going to get along.   (My boy, who was born 3 years today ,February 2nd).

It felt like a really long wait but he was the one for me.  Don't do anything rash, wait until you can find a well tried source for cats and kittens and you meet the one that you know instantly is the one for you.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mickeysgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the advice. ( and for informing me about kitten season. I had no idea! ) I have found myself desperately looking everywhere and I now know that when the time is right, a kitten will come my way. I am so happy that you found your kitty soul mate. Until then, I'm patiently awaiting for the arrival of my new kitten. I'll keep ya posted. XOXO

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you don't have to wait too long.  Let everyone know you are looking so if there are any kittens due, or any rescued you have a good chance of hearing about it.  And until then use your time to take holidays, visit needy shelter cats / friends with cats / any cats to keep your need for fur cuddles topped up and help with the waiting game.  Can't wait to hear when you do find a new furbaby to welcome in to your home.  Good luck, it is a time I remember all too well. 

ellaoddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I have 2 female cats both indoor cats. And both have been in and out of season since the beginging of january. And I know her season ended in around early october. And some cats are known to season all year round.
I am planning to get them both spayed. Hoping I can find a vets that will do them both on the same day
So hopefully you will find a new kitty to adopt soon :vibes:

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? We have a girl kitten looking for a forever home. We're in the Chicago area.

mickeysgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! ziggy'smom ziggy'smom I am located in NJ. That is a ways to go. Wish it were closer. Thanks for thinking of me. My local shelter said to come back in the Spring. There should be 100s of kitty's available then. Kinda sad. Wish I could take them all. :(

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We went to a camping/rv park to look at a camper that a friend was interested in.

It so happened that some of the people living in the campground were taking care of a colony of ferals, and catching the kittens and working with them to make them adoptable.  The person with the camper in question had two 3 month old kittens ready to go.  So we adopted them.

A month earlier, a neighbor's pit-bull killed my beloved Angelina.   These adorable babies are helping me a whole lot.

I see you are in NY/NJ, so I don't know that a campground is a viable option for you.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mickeysgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not that I know of around here. So sorry to hear of your loss. :( thanks so much!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 There should be 100s of kitty's available then. Kinda sad. Wish I could take them all.
You can anyways take 2 of them, not just one as is your original plan.  They usually do prefer to be in pairs, to have a cat friend to play with.  They attach to their human anyways.

And you perhaps know more people who can be talked over to adopt a cat, or two?   Helping with connections is saving lifes as efficiently as actually giving them forever good homes.

Good luck!

mickeysgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I found a 5 month old at an adoption event yesterday that I fell in love with and I filled out some paperwork for. She was so playful and the smallest of the litter. But now my indesiciveness has kicked it. I had my heart set on a kitten. Am I just settling? Should I wait for that baby kitten to come along. Or give this playful 5 month old a forever home. Since I just lost my cat, I think that's why I'm drawn more towards a new born kitten. I want the most years with my cat.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is much better for kittens to stay with mom and siblings until 12 weeks old, so you wouldn't be getting a true newborn kitten anyway. Unless kittens are abandoned or mom is killed, in which case the kittens will need to be hand-reared which is a lot of work. If the 5 month old is calling to you, it may be a sign that she is perfect for you. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with VBall91.   If you got Chosen, obey the fate.   :)

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
5 months old is a great age. They are still little, and so very much fun. My girls turn months tomorrow, and they are at a fantastic stage in their lives right now. They've grown a bit stronger and more independent, and they don't fit in every single tiny hole in my old old house lol. Really young kittens are a LOT of work- mine came home at 6 weeks (rescue situation) and they were extremely stressful for the first three or four weeks I had them. Now they're amazing.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually the thingto consider is that little kittens do not stay little very long, and a five month old was a little kitten just three months ago -- she had the misfortune of being born near the END of kitten season, when everyone had kittens for adoption, and she wasn't chosen then.  What matters is personality and chemistry, not size -- because you are really adopting a CAT, not a kitten, and they do come with personalities at birth.  If you feel a bond with this kitten (and at five months she is still a kitten), then give her your forever love and home.  If not, leave her for someone else who can do that.  Follow your heart, not your head, and trust the Cat Goddess to bring you the cat you SHOULD have.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I had had two older cats from kittenhood and was looking for another kitten.  I always had females and told everyone I wanted a young female.  No little females around and I fell for Mouse, male, adopted at around 4 months.  He was still a daft kitten and super cute but not so little he came with loads of health issues, and had been neutered and chipped so fewer risks for things going wrong right after I got him home or being associated with nasty vet trips.  So she was a he and 4 weeks older than I would have liked but it was love at first sight. 
  (well for me at least)   @Red Top Rescue has given you some great advice here.  I don't know if you still have the option of adopting this little kitten but if you do, please don't decide not to do it just because she was a little older than you had been thinking about.  She is still a baby and she will still be very young and able to bond with you as a kitten before you have years to get to know her even better as a cat growing in maturity with you.  If you don't adopt her, keep all of the things you have learned in meeting her in your mind for the next time some little creature captures your heart.  It is good that you are feeling ready and able to do this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

the thingto consider is that little kittens do not stay little very long
Very true! 

If it is important for you to have small kittens, the best way is to be a fosterhome for some shelter / rescue group.  

Mom with kittens or even orphaned kittens if you so wish.

And this way you get lotsa of troublesome and charming kittens to have as guests into your life!    :)

mickeysgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate the response and feedback. Sometimes I just have to hear it from someone else - People who have the love that I have for cats and understand it was a hard loss to lose my cat. I am happy to say that I signed the papers and she will be all mine once she is spayed this week. I can't wait! Since I found her on Valentines day I will name her Ruby Valentine (popular children's book) Will share photos soon. Thanks again! You all are so right!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I really appreciate the response and feedback. Sometimes I just have to hear it from someone else - People who have the love that I have for cats and understand it was a hard loss to lose my cat. I am happy to say that I signed the papers and she will be all mine once she is spayed this week. I can't wait! Since I found her on Valentines day I will name her Ruby Valentine (popular children's book) Will share photos soon. Thanks again! You all are so right!
   Hope everything goes smoothly for you and we get so see pictures of Ruby Valetine very soon.  This week will feel very very long for you, I remember waiting for my adoptions all too clearly.