Looking for some advice about food please

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be best to go with the original since it has the highest protein value or the indoor since it has fewer calories but a lower protein value? (45% vs. 38%).
I'd say to go with the higher protein. I'd say "always" but there's probably some exception that kills the rule! In any case, protein's what cats need; the lower calories usually come at the cost of higher carbs and that essentially means empty calories.

It sounds like you've tried a ton of food but I'm trying to think of what else Petsmart has that might be good to try. Aha! Yesterday I went there to pick up some Nutro Natural Choice (canned), which our cats really love. It's a favorite even among picky cats. Maybe Snowball would like it? It's definitely a little more expensive than Sheba but the calories are likely higher -- it's a fairly filling food, at least for our cats. And carbs should be pretty low. Nutro's selection isn't always especially stable but it might be worth a try if they happen to have it.
1583971937914.png

No matter what, good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whattado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried the Nutro perfect portions with her in the past but I have never tried just the regular canned food. If I am not mistaken, I believe that she ate some of it and didn't completely turn her nose up to it so I might give that another try. I'm sure that I will be completely overwhelmed at Petsmart as I am just used to ordering the same bag of food off of Amazon all the time--lol!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your help! I'm planning on going to Petsmart tomorrow on my lunch break to see what they have. They also have a return policy if the pet won't eat the food so that's a good thing. I just have one more question if you don't mind. Is it best to get the indoor version of the food, the regular version or the adult version? I notice that with the Wellness brand, the regular and the adult have around 497 calories while the indoor has 435 calories. Would it be best to go with the original since it has the highest protein value or the indoor since it has fewer calories but a lower protein value? (45% vs. 38%).
Yep, go with the regular one with higher protein and more calories. "Indoor" is a useless word that is code for fewer calories, but it's the same trap that weight loss foods use (filler that makes cats hungrier).

Just to narrow down your selection a bit when you go to Petco, stay away from Blue Wilderness! Too many recalls, not a trustworthy company at all. They spend all their money on advertising and cut corners with quality.

Also, Hills and Royal Canin are way overpriced for what they are so I wouldn't even bother with them.

Otherwise there's no wet food that I would say to avoid for sure. There are a lot of different ones and the best one is whatever your cat will eat. For dry food, try to stick with the higher quality and higher animal protein brands. Good luck!

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would stick with regular formula. Indoor usually is more fiber, more carbs, less meat.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried the Nutro perfect portions with her in the past but I have never tried just the regular canned food. If I am not mistaken, I believe that she ate some of it and didn't completely turn her nose up to it so I might give that another try. I'm sure that I will be completely overwhelmed at Petsmart as I am just used to ordering the same bag of food off of Amazon all the time--lol!
Right, this one's in cans, not the perfect portions so theoretically, anyway, it should be different!

Fingers crossed!