Looking For New Wet Food Brands

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not willing to feed the cats Friskies canned food any longer, so I need alternatives that I can easily get in Oregon. Money is somewhat of a factor since I'm looking to get quality without breaking the bank but after doing some research their brand needs to change, it's used for kittens and nursing mothers which I plan to eliminate soon with spays for the fertile females and a neuter for the intact male as quite frankly his few problems that he does have make him undesirable to even be allowed to breed in the first place but my significant other wanted kittens and without seeing if I wanted to take on that financial burden allowed him to breed, the intact male Winter Warlord has very photosensitive blue eyes, and an allergy to something in the environment which results in tender squishy paw pads and was actually born not breathing only march of 2016, the born not breathing also happened with the youngest kitten in the older litter, the second litter has had issues as well starting out at eight kittens and the runts not surviving even with supplementation down to four now and those are the larger healthier kittens. But back to what I want which is a higher quality wet food that I can actually feel good about feeding the fur babies.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I’m the spokesperson for Rawz on this forum but it really is a great brand and I’ve had lots of success with it. It is the only wet food my sensitive kitty handles well and he loves it. You can check their website for local pet stores near you that carry it or can order it from their supplier. It should be around 2.00 for a 5.5oz can if you’re in the states.

Oh and the chicken and turkey varieties are for all life stages. I think all of the varieties are actually all life stages but I’m just 100% not sure. I feed it to my 5 month kitten. :)

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have any specific requirements? Certain ingredients you are trying to avoid? Pate? Shreds? Grain free?

My cat gets Friskies and I don't see anything wrong with it, though I know many do. If you stick to the pate, Friskies is a decent brand for the price. It's low carb and the only grain is a little bit of rice flour which I've heard is a lot better than corn, wheat and soy.

Fancy feast classic pate is a step up from Friskies with no grains at all but it does come in smaller cans.

Dave's is available in some small pet stores and also available by the case on Chewy. It's actually a little cheaper than Fancy feast if you buy it in the big 12oz cans.

Tractor Supply, if you have one near you, sells a store brand called 4health which has grain free canned foods 69 cents for a 5.5oz can.

There is also Triumph brand available on Chewy. I believe they use a little rice flour just like Friskies but they use real meat instead of by-products. Personally, I wasn't fond of their customer service though if that's important to you. I contacted a few companies about samples when trying to find a wet food my cat liked and they took forever to respond and then said they would send them and never did. Never responded again. I didn't care if they couldn't offer samples, at least say that :ohwell:

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a big fan of Wellness. Its a mid-price wet food that comes in the big 12 oz cans. It's usually 2.89 where I am, sometimes it goes on sale and that helps bring cost down. I think some of the flavors are a little cheaper too, but my cat has a poultry sensitivty though so he eats Beef and Salmon Wellness exclusively. Its a pate and they are grain and caranegeen free if those are things you're looking for in a wet food.
I spend about $40 a month in wet food for my cat feeding him that brand, not sure what your budget is. He weighs 8 lbs and gets half a 12 oz can every day.
I'm sure it would be cheaper to buy in bulk online, it just doesn't make sense for me to really with my one cat.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're a Fancy Feast household over here. Although, I occasionally rotate in some Nutro Natural Choice and Nature's Variety. Friskies is just too low down the totem pole for me to go on the totem pole. I would definitely suggest Fancy Feast if you can make it work. I would also suggest sometimes getting a can or two here of a higher end brand like NNC or NV.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're a Fancy Feast household over here. Although, I occasionally rotate in some Nutro Natural Choice and Nature's Variety. Friskies is just too low down the totem pole for me to go on the totem pole. I would definitely suggest Fancy Feast if you can make it work. I would also suggest sometimes getting a can or two here of a higher end brand like NNC or NV.
I am curious... why do some people think Friskies is crap but FF is ok? What's the difference? They are both made by Purina so I assume the ingredients are sourced from the same place and the only difference I have seen is the rice flour in the Friskies... I'm honestly curious because both are in my budget but Friskies comes in bigger cans so I wonder what makes FF worth the higher price for smaller cans? Is it just the rice flour or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am curious... why do some people think Friskies is crap but FF is ok? What's the difference? They are both made by Purina so I assume the ingredients are sourced from the same place and the only difference I have seen is the rice flour in the Friskies... I'm honestly curious because both are in my budget but Friskies comes in bigger cans so I wonder what makes FF worth the higher price for smaller cans?
I think it depends on the variety. I’m not sure about Friskies but I know FF classics are pretty decent because they are grain free and no carrageenan. But I do believe they have artificial flavours, guar gum, and that they do sourcing from China.

Also a lot of the varieties of the FF classics have a really nice protein-fat-carb ratio.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really all the Purinas have the same ingredients, whether they are charging $1.29 for a 3 oz can (Muse, Pro Plan) or .59 a can (Fancy Feast). I look at the ingredients and the order, and they are all so similar it hardly justifies the price differences that they charge-including Friskies. I think Fancy Feast is enjoyed by a lot more cats in part because they put fish in almost all the varieties.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really all the Purinas have the same ingredients, whether they are charging $1.29 for a 3 oz can (Muse, Pro Plan) or .59 a can (Fancy Feast). I look at the ingredients and the order, and they are all so similar it hardly justifies the price differences that they charge-including Friskies. I think Fancy Feast is enjoyed by a lot more cats in part because they put fish in almost all the varieties.
That's what is seemed like to me with the FF and Friskies. I mean, I understand why FF is a little step up since it doesn't contain rice but I didn't think there was a big enough difference for Friskies to be considered bad and FF to be good.