Looking for limited ingredient protein based low phosphorus cat food

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My new kitty is a young and healthy Seal
Point Siamese. I am looking for a protein. based limited ingredient canned cat food that is low in dry matter analysis phosphorus and does not have tricalcium phosphate or dicalcium phosphate in it preferably also not too high in calorie too. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She is currently eating Pure Cravings salmon cutlets, tuna cutlets or salmon and tuna cutlets and also Royal Canin PR rabbit. I’d like to add in one more protein if you have any recommendations. She is too good of an eater now 9 lbs at her weight limit according to her vets. My nutrition veterinarian recommended variety but no tricalcium it dicalcium phosphate as they cause cancer as found in recent research. Thanks for your suggestions.
FA776471-E170-4F03-B9C6-3C5AE82A4D3D.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can help you with the low phos. part. Here is a list of wet cat food in order of the amount of phos. in it: http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#standard_foods

So far, every cat food I happened to look up did NOT have those two forms of calcium you mentioned. Perhaps manufacturers have stopped using them :dunno:?

Is there any particular reason why you want limited ingredient and low phos. for a young cat? Is that what your nutritionist recommended?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why give a high phosphorus diet that can lead to kidney failure. Mia my current cat is fully grown and does not need it. She is a
9 lb bigger Siamese seal point very healthy. I also have had a Siamese who was very food intolerant and I know that Siamese cats can be food allergic. Cats are carnivores. Why give a cat food that they cannot make use of and that could cause an upset stomach. I have other examples - one food I fed my previous cat had flaxseed. I had the food tested and it was twice the amount of cyanide that she could handle - .3ppm cyanide from the flaxseed. A lot of things added can add toxicity, I learned the hard way and I am a purest now. She doesn’t need a kidney diet but she doesn’t need high phosphorus either. I was having a hard time finding a good cat food without tricalcium phosphate or dicalcium phosphate not too high calorie and not too high phosphorus. I will look at your list. Thank you.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just tried your link and it doesn’t work so please verify it and message it again to me - thank you!!’

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got it to work copy pasting into Google
Will look for a variety of proteins she might like. She loves Pure Cravings tuna cutlets , salmon cutlets and tuna with salmon cutlets. She also likes Royal Canin pr rabbit I have from my previous cat. Will look for others thanks bunches

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why give a high phosphorus diet that can lead to kidney failure. Mia my current cat is fully grown and does not need it. She is a
9 lb bigger Siamese seal point very healthy. I also have had a Siamese who was very food intolerant and I know that Siamese cats can be food allergic. Cats are carnivores. Why give a cat food that they cannot make use of and that could cause an upset stomach. I have other examples - one food I fed my previous cat had flaxseed. I had the food tested and it was twice the amount of cyanide that she could handle - .3ppm cyanide from the flaxseed. A lot of things added can add toxicity, I learned the hard way and I am a purest now. She doesn’t need a kidney diet but she doesn’t need high phosphorus either. I was having a hard time finding a good cat food without tricalcium phosphate or dicalcium phosphate not too high calorie and not too high phosphorus. I will look at your list. Thank you.
I totally get that cats do not need a bunch of carbs or much more than protein with the necessary supplements (that's why I feed mostly raw) , but by limited ingredient, I was thinking ONE protein per cat food. As if you didn't want to mix the proteins. For instance, chicken and tuna often are canned together. Then it's not called "limited ingredient". (I don't think)

And I also get wanting to avoid future health issues if possible. Do you know how much phosphorus is considered too high for a healthy cat? Of course, for a kitten it's a higher amount as they are still growing.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ll have to check with my nutrition vet as to what is a lower level for a healthy adult cat is for phosphorus but I think if 1.0% or less dry matter basis phosphorus or close to that should be ok. I’ve seen some cat food around 1.2% .88% .93% which I think is good but I’d avoid 2.7% this is all on dry matter basis. As for Weruva some has tricalcium phosphate or dicalcium phosphate in it. A lot has multiple proteins in it. I’d like to find something more simple.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can help you with the low phos. part. Here is a list of wet cat food in order of the amount of phos. in it: http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#standard_foods

So far, every cat food I happened to look up did NOT have those two forms of calcium you mentioned. Perhaps manufacturers have stopped using them :dunno:?

Is there any particular reason why you want limited ingredient and low phos. for a young cat? Is that what your nutritionist recommended?
Every can I’ve looked at so far on your list HAS tricalcium phosphate or dicalcium phosphate in it. If these are recommended for cats with kidney failure please recreate your list of cat food without it. According to my nutrition veterinarian Lisa Weeth DVM DACVN do not use cat food with this in it because recent research shows it causes kidney failure. She is located at MASH (Metropolitan Animal Specialty Hospital Los Angeles outpatient area) if you need to contact her for the reference.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Every can I’ve looked at so far on your list HAS tricalcium phosphate or dicalcium phosphate in it. If these are recommended for cats with kidney failure please recreate your list of cat food without it.
This list is put out by felinecrf.org. It is not MY list,I simply included it here for your use in finding foods lowest in phosphorus. As you probably noticed, there are hundreds of foods listed, and I guess I happened to look at a couple that did not have those ingredients shown. I did it again today with the same results, however, I also did find one food that did include tricalcium phosphate,and that was a Merrick food. Perhaps that manufacturer uses it :dunno:? I looked at a Weruva food, and it did not have it, but I'm not sure now which one I looked at, just know it was a "stew".

I totally agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom in that perhaps your nutritionist can recommend specific foods