Looking for less expensive laxative/lubricant than Laxatone?

nath 1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cat needs a laxative/lubricant to help her pass hair, instead of trying to make herself throw up to expell it. I use Laxatone, which is excellent, but so expensive : 16,00$ for 2,5 ounces only, and the tube is finished in two weeks. As I am unemployed, I find this a bit expensive. I don't mind paying for vet treatments, but I am sure there are less expensive solutions. I remember the good cod liver oil, but cats fight when given this, just like humans!

The good thing about Laxatone is she just loves it. If I could find something I could give her without fighting with her, that would be great.

Laxatone contains white petrolatum (vaseline), liquid petrolatum (liquid vaseline), linoleic acid and tuna flavoring. As Vaseline or generics is white petroleum gel, I would hesitate before giving to the cat, as petrolatum is not petroleum.

Any less expensive solutions?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Nath.

sphynxkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nath 1

Hi,

My cat needs a laxative/lubricant to help her pass hair, instead of trying to make herself throw up to expell it. I use Laxatone, which is excellent, but so expensive : 16,00$ for 2,5 ounces only, and the tube is finished in two weeks. As I am unemployed, I find this a bit expensive. I don't mind paying for vet treatments, but I am sure there are less expensive solutions. I remember the good cod liver oil, but cats fight when given this, just like humans!

The good thing about Laxatone is she just loves it. If I could find something I could give her without fighting with her, that would be great.

Laxatone contains white petrolatum (vaseline), liquid petrolatum (liquid vaseline), linoleic acid and tuna flavoring. As Vaseline or generics is white petroleum gel, I would hesitate before giving to the cat, as petrolatum is not petroleum.

Nath.
I'm not sure about the laxative for hairballs (I have a sphynx) but maybe you could feed a hairball formula cat food (assuming you aren't already) so you wouldn't need the laxative in the future? Hopefully someone with a "furbaby" will have a better answer for you.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow a bottle of laxatone for Clover lasted about a month.... I've used the sticks that look like deoderant from Petsmart and he likes the taste just as much and it seems to work pretty well.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Norwegian Forest cat, she gets a very, very dense undercoat in the cooler months, so springtime she sheds like no other.

I feed Nutro Complete indoor formulas, she still doesn't pass her hairballs, but she expells them quickly and efficiently once a month.
Poor thing used to hack for days before I changed food.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nath 1

Hi,

<snip>

Nath.
I don't know where in Canada you live, but here is one store in your country with also an online store, they sell an excellent alternative - VetBasis Hairball Gel, for $9.50 Canadian http://shop.reigningcatsanddogs.biz/...g?productId=35 - they don't list it as vetbasis, but I recognize the box design and found it on a search for this.

I like this gel better as it uses no petrolatum, and is okay for diabetic kitties. ARGH..I am sorry, I asked for canadian stores that sell this, and must have gotten a list for both US and Canada. When I tested the link just now, I see it is in North Carolina. Please try searching online Canadian based stores for the VetBasis, I do think it's an excellent hairball gel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nath 1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Tricia petz

I tried to send you a thank you message, like to the others who have replied to me, but it is not working. So thak you for your reply and suggestions!
N.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never bought laxatone. I've bought whatever hairball remedy was in the store. Furtunately my kids don't seem to have any major probs with hairballs. I give a few treats once in a while that are hairball specific, and give a treatment if I ever hear anyone who sounds like they are trying to bring one up. I've only gone through one bottle of stuff.