Looking for Food same texture as Royal Canin Recovery

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey all!

I've lurked on the site for years now and finally made an account. I'm an experienced cat owner but my new COVID kittens have been throwing me lots of new hoops.

Our 10 month cat got sick and only wants to eat the recovery wet food by Royal Canin. It's really not great long term and yes the blender works well, but I'm really hoping there's something similar texture.

He got sick eating Wellness cat food; no examples from that brand please. I'm in Canada, so different options than many posters. I will also not purchase anything Hartz brand or related such as Squeeze Ups.

Nothing is wrong with his mouth. He's chowing down crunchy treats and food as available to him. Bathroom and play habits normal.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat only eats weruva steak frites. She does not vomit as much. I am doing trial and error to see if it may be she's allergic to chicken which she throws up or if its other ingredients because she throws up expennsive food. High in moisture since broth is first ingredient a d high protein. Not cheap! Not sure what food you are looking for becausei am unfamiliar with rc recovery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about one of the Forza10 varieties?
I don't see that available through my vet's store or at PetSmart Canada/Ren's Pets unfortunately. Is it a prescription food? Cal doesn't need a long term prescription. :) Just something texturally happy for him!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat only eats weruva steak frites. She does not vomit as much. I am doing trial and error to see if it may be she's allergic to chicken which she throws up or if its other ingredients because she throws up expennsive food. High in moisture since broth is first ingredient a d high protein. Not cheap! Not sure what food you are looking for becausei am unfamiliar with rc recovery
It's a super soft mousse. He won't eat the TikiCat mousse though. He is eating Purina Chicken and rice blended. He'll eat Royal Canin kitten chunks too but he's supposed to be moved to adult food because the kitten is too high in calories for him. He's active, but bulking easily. No allergy. My other cats began to refuse eating the Wellness also and they each vomited once. Calcifer just needed some support to get his tummy back on track but I think he's a bit nervous to eat wet now. I reported it to Wellness today.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had pretty good luck with the limited ingredient Merrick canned foods. There's turkey, duck and chicken. So depending on whether your kitten is sensitive to any of those proteins, one of them might work. If you buy them at Rens Pets, they have a promotion where for every so many cans you buy, you get some free. So better deal that Pet Smart.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had pretty good luck with the limited ingredient Merrick canned foods. There's turkey, duck and chicken. So depending on whether your kitten is sensitive to any of those proteins, one of them might work. If you buy them at Rens Pets, they have a promotion where for every so many cans you buy, you get some free. So better deal that Pet Smart.
Thanks. He didn't like those. He doesn't have a food sensitivity. Just a texture preference. Looking for a texture match! The Merricks LIDs were saviors when my late cat developed a chicken allergy!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. He didn't like those. He doesn't have a food sensitivity. Just a texture preference. Looking for a texture match! The Merricks LIDs were saviors when my late cat developed a chicken allergy!
My Ruby has a chicken sensitivity, so I haven't tried to many different foods, as once I find something that works, I stick with it.

Since it's a texture you're looking for, have you tried just grocery store foods? Fancy Feast has different textured foods, I think.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about freeze dried raw? I rotate between Primal, Stella & Chewy's, and Feline Natural. You can break the pieces or use a coffee grinder make real fine and then add extra water.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a super soft mousse. He won't eat the TikiCat mousse though. He is eating Purina Chicken and rice blended. He'll eat Royal Canin kitten chunks too but he's supposed to be moved to adult food because the kitten is too high in calories for him. He's active, but bulking easily. No allergy. My other cats began to refuse eating the Wellness also and they each vomited once. Calcifer just needed some support to get his tummy back on track but I think he's a bit nervous to eat wet now. I reported it to Wellness today.
I don't know if it's in canada,but you could blend whatever food with churu or tiki sticks. They are treats,not a meal. 90% water

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about freeze dried raw? I rotate between Primal, Stella & Chewy's, and Feline Natural. You can break the pieces or use a coffee grinder make real fine and then add extra water.
They think it's poison. I've tried rehydration in both hot and cold water. Ended up gifting it away.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if it's in canada,but you could blend whatever food with churu or tiki sticks. They are treats,not a meal. 90% water
Thanks yes. He has Churu, and Catit tube treats. They all love those. I'm looking for a meal food.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks to suggestions, I decided to try Iams perfect portions this weekend. Calcifer decided this was the same texture with some water added. The ingredient list seems just as fine as the vet recommend food but my pocket book, and Cal's lower calorie diet is happy.
It's beef-free too so Magnus can have it. He seems to be allergic to beef.