Looking for Experience with Nutramax Proviable Capsules

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody,

Longtime lurker here…

I recently adopted a second cat after losing my first at only 5 years old to a heart defect. She is about 9 months old now. I had always used Fortiflora with the first cat to help with litter box issues, but I found it didn’t work great with Tati (my new baby).

I got the Proviable capsules on Chewy and they immediately firmed everything up. However, I noticed her stool is very, very dark now. Anybody have any experience with this? Is it normal? Is it ok to give her these daily like Fortiflora? Additionally, I transitioned her from her dry kitten food they gave at the shelter (Royal Canin crap) to mostly wet with a handful of grain free dry American Journey during the day. Not sure if that has had any effect on things.

Thanks for any light you can shine!
Chelsea

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, chelsmarie chelsmarie and welcome! :welcomesign:

It’s more likely to be the food change than the Proviable. Food changes often result open changes in the stool.

I give one of my three Proviable every day because she has a sensitive tummy. It seems to help her digestion. The only thing I use FortiFlora for is as a topper if they suddenly turn up their noses at their food. The animal digest in it is a strong attractant. They love it! But it’s not, IMO, a great probiotic. Not much in it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give Proviable daily. You can also bring a stool sample into your vet if you are concerned that there may be something else going on besides a food change. And, amusingly enough, because cat people are weird, there are plenty of pictures of cat poop, normal or otherwise, on the internet if you're willing to search for them. 🙀 🤦‍♂️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies! Good to know about the Nutramax, they seem to be helping her so I will continue using. Definitely more effective than Fortiflora (which is what the vet suggested). I’m thinking my kitty might have been a touch dehydrated. I started added a bit of water to each wet feeding and her poop is mostly normal in color now.

Thanks again!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies! Good to know about the Nutramax, they seem to be helping her so I will continue using. Definitely more effective than Fortiflora (which is what the vet suggested). I’m thinking my kitty might have been a touch dehydrated. I started added a bit of water to each wet feeding and her poop is mostly normal in color now.

Thanks again!
I add water to all three cats’ wet food. Never hurts to get more moisture in them.

My vet sells both FortiFlora and Proviable. He told me he gives his own cats Proviable. :)