Looking for Encouragement

SavedbyCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for advice and encouragement. Two years ago I moved to a county that has some big obstacles when it comes to animal welfare. There is a major lack of resources from local government, overwhelmed rescues, and most importantly an epidemic of owners abandoning their pets. The reasons for abandonment are countless but the most popular seems to be allergies. The result of this is older animals wasting away for months at the shelter. Our shelter does not even have the nicer portal enclosures, just small cages the cats sit in and a tiny playroom across the hall that hopefully they let them into sometimes.

Anyway, the shelter has been begging people for months to adopt out two cats that have been there since MAY. I have been sharing the post on various local boards but they were still up for adoption. Recently one of the cats got adopted and they featured the remaining cat again. My heart just couldn't take it. Her profile said her owner abandoned her at the shelter due to allergies and she'd do best in a quiet home where she was the only cat. That doesn't really fit the description of my home. I have two cats, both spayed females, one 5 years and the other 3 years. The 3 year old naps all day and the 5 year old is pretty calm but likea to play sometimes. I also have a screechy one year old. When I went to the shelter I told them all of this and asked if that would be a deal breaker for them, they said it wasn't and to just take the introduction slow. They also gave her to us for free😭.

She came home today with us and I'm afraid of failing. I've introduced cats before and they both have gone well but it's always been kittens to adult cats. Never adult and adult. I have her in one of our full bathrooms. She's eaten a full can of wet food and used the litter box. She hasn't hidden in a corner at all and lays on the plush blanket we folded up for her. She used the scratching post when I brought it in and let me brush her. She purrs and her ears are in a relaxed upright position when she does. Her tail shakes rapidly when I pet her and I think that's a good sign. She's also laid with her back to me and showed her stomach, all positive signs with her comfort with me.

My cats hung out by the door for 20 mins or so then left for their respective hang outs. She did hiss at them twice and I know that is to be expected. I let my cats smell the brush I used with her and they both face rubbed it and she rubbed against the scratching post I brought in which I read is also a good sign. I plan to continue the scent exposure to both sides, switching the blankets and posts since both sides are taking to it well. If she continues eating, grooming, and using the box I think we will move to baby gate visual exposure in a few days. I also have feliway and calming collars coming that I'll put on all the cats before visual exposure.

I'm sorry there are no questions here really, just me worrying out loud. I don't want to fail her. Normally I would not have taken a cat where they advised a different living situation, but after seven months and no rescue or another adopter stepping up...if not me, who at this point? Did I do the wrong thing? Maybe she will be more open to cats in a less stressful environment than the shelter. According to the worker, they don't expose the cats to each other anyway so I'm not sure what the recommendation was based on. Also, has anyone worked with a cat that was in a shelter environment for an extended period of time? Is there anything that helps them reintegrate into a home?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Did I do the wrong thing
No, not at all.

I just read 10 stories by one of my local animal shelter about cats with issues, each that had not been adopted for the longest time.

Even though every cat is different, a consistent thing for all of them was patience and more patience. Be confident and positive. From what you've said, things so far are going really well 😘

Bless you for stepping up for her ❣

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Also, has anyone worked with a cat that was in a shelter environment for an extended period of time? Is there anything that helps them reintegrate into a home?
Our present cat came from a hoarder where all the cats were neglected. A shelter was called in to rescue them and they received necessary veterinary care. Once they recovered our guy was adopted by another couple. However, after a year they returned him to the shelter and said they didn't want a pet anymore. :frown: This poor cat had a terrible beginning but as fate would have it we had recently lost our previous cat and went to the shelter just to look. You can probably guess what happened next. It was love at first sight. 😻 To answer your question, we took it one day at a time and showered him with affection. After two weeks he acted like he had been with us two years. I wish the same for you and I'm sure she will adjust to her new forever home with you. Best of luck! :crossfingers:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've got this! Patience will win over and most cats, once they realize there's enough resources to go around will be okay. Personally, I believe it's a rare cat (but does happen!) who truly needs to be a single cat, though for sure a few more than that prefer it.

Our cat Tigger didn't like any other animals growing up. But over her 25 years with us she just learned to ignore whatever fosters came in the home and they always gave her wide birth pretty early on. Even our other long term animals knew if they ignored her she ignored them.

If she was on one bunk bed, all the other pets in the home would avoid that bed until she moved on!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SavedbyCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I agree with the above. It doesn't sound bad at all. Keep the slow step-by-step pace going and don't forget the patience part! Have you checked out the TCS article on introductions, just in case there are any other tips for you?
How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite

Also -
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
Yes, I've read them as a refresher as well as other guides and experiences online. The toughest part will be overcoming my fear that it won't work out and to not rush the process. I'm a type a personality so when I have something on my mind, I just want it done and cat intros definitely don't work like that😆

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SavedbyCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Assume what the shelter told you was 🐂 💩 and be patient with the introduction.
Do you mean you think they did expose the cats to each other or you think their assessment of her was heavy handed?

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you mean you think they did expose the cats to each other or you think their assessment of her was heavy handed?
I doubt they were able to assess her particularly well with the lack of shelter space/overflowing with animals. And I doubt she would be at her best crammed into a tiny cage with 1,000 other cats.