Looking For Canned Food Without Certain Ingredients

DuskyandKara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heya! Long time reader, first time poster. The forum has been super helpful with so many of the weird things that have come up in my cat, but this question is pretty mundane, if specific.

SHORT VERSION: I'm looking for a canned cat food fish flavor that does not contain pork, potato, or rice ingredients. I think carrots are okay, but I know peas are fine, so that is preferable. You guys know any brands that fit that? Any type of fish is okay; my cat is only picky about poultry.

LONG VERSION: I have a nearly 4-year female cat, Dusky, who seems to be sensitive to a number of filler ingredients. I originally had her on Natural Balance, but wow did that make her poop stink sometimes. That got worse when I increased the amount of wet food in her diet to decrease urinary issues last year. I switched to Nutro, and that ended the stink problem, but then her UT issues came back. I'm guessing it's the pork broth in it, since that's the only ingredient that it has that Natural Balance did not. I switched her to Wellness Core (also no pork ingredients) after about two weeks of on/off suffering, and she started getting better the next day, and we're two weeks in the clear now. That said, the stinky problem is back, though only with the whitefish, salmon and herring flavor and NOT the chicken+chicken liver flavor. The main difference there is the chicken flavor has pea filler and not potato filler. So I'm thinking heavy starches i.e.(potatoes and rice in the case of natural balance) cause the stinky problem. Given that, I have one good chicken flavor for her. However, I've always had her on flavor rotation, and she definitely prefers it that way. She'll take longer to eat and futilely try to bury her food bowl if I don't switch the flavor when I open a new can. So like the short version says, if you guys know of a fish flavor that doesn't have rice, potatoes or pork, I would love to try it.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My Olive does the same thing if I give her the same food too many meals in a row (except her favorites). I don’t feed much fish, but I know the Rawz Salmon and Dr Elsey’s clean protein Salmon don’t gave those fillers. They can be a little more expensive though.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now my guys are loving the Salmon and apple from Almo nature. just a little apple, none of the things you mentioned. They also like any of the Tiki cat fish flavors and Against the grain tuna mango tango, some of the BFF foods, and some weruva foods. Nulo, the minced flavors, but they have good pate too, if your cats eat pate? Tiki cat seems to be the big fav at my house right now. I think all of these brands have fish flavors that would work with what you are trying to avoid. I get all of mine from Chewy, but if you have pet stores near you might can pick up a few cans to try.

Chewy also has their american journey foods, my guys quite like poultry and fish flavors, but they do have some peas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DuskyandKara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Tiki Cat looks like a good first try; I can get that at the store for a trial run, and there's a few different flavors. Nulo and BFF also look pretty good. The Rawz was a little more complicated to find a place to buy online, since the nearest shops carrying it are in Florida, but I did fine one selling both cases and singles online in the end, so I've got that on the list as well. The price for Rawz actually isn't too bad in bulk; the Wellness Core costs the same in bulk.

Thank you both!

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my little girl mostly Simply Nourish. There are grain-free, limited-ingredient lines that don't have the ingredients you wish to avoid, and because it's PetSmart's brand, it's cheaper than some of the other options out there. As far as I know, there's never been any sort of recall, lawsuit, controversy, etc. and all of the tests turn up good. I'm /suuuper/ picky about what I feed my cat, and it's the #1 brand I use and recommend.

Other brands to look at (not sure about the potato content on any of these): Nulo, Blue, Natural Balance, Wellness, Instinct, Solid Gold, Applaws, Halo.

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he is picky about poultry have you tried rabbit. Instinct LID Rabbit has peas, and believe none of the other fillers.