Looking for Advice

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My current cat (about 9) is a rescue, and many of you helped when she first came to live with me 6 years ago--and hid for 2 weeks! I'd never had a cat who did that and was frantic. As it turned out, she's a lovable lap cat (on her terms), and the only problem is that she will NOT be picked up--ever.

I have a prescription for gabapentin and have been able to get her 'mellow' enough to get into the carrier for a vet visit by using Pill Pockets--which she used to love. However, suddenly, she no longer will eat them, and there's no way in the world I'd be able to pill this particular cat (I'm experienced and have done it with other cats).

I've tried several OTC 'relaxing' things, but they go in the food, and she can detect anything added and doesn't eat.

Her annual vet check up is next month. Anyone have any ideas how I can manage this?

ALSO--I keep the carrier piece [its a stroller] on the kitchen table and feed her treats in it. I could possibly lure her into it and quickly close it, but the timing might not work with our appointment.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I could have written every word of your post, including the fact that our cats are about nine! :lol:

Here’s what I do when I have to get Mocha into a carrier. She’s a former feral and I can’t normally pick her up, but this has worked.
  1. I take the carrier out a couple of days before I need it. I leave it on the floor with the door open. My cats know that when I bring the carrier in, it’s time to disappear. If it’s been sitting out for a while, they ignore it.
  2. When I’m ready to put Mocha in the carrier, I make sure she isn’t on anything that she can put claws into and hold onto like a barnacle. I usually lure her onto the wood floor with treats. While she’s eating her treats, I have my husband quietly pick up the carrier and approach me from behind so Mocha can’t see what he has in his hand. He has to make sure he doesn’t let the carrier make any “carrier noises.” It rattles if not held perfectly still, and my cats know exactly what that means. He holds the carrier level about waist height with the door open.
  3. I swiftly pick up the (hopefully) unsuspecting kitty and in one smooth move, turn around and insert her into the carrier before she has a chance to react, grow additional legs all tipped with razors, and dismember me. You have to do it swiftly in one unbroken move.
If you don’t have a second person, a counter or table will work—anything that puts the carrier on the level and up off of the floor so there’s nothing for your kitty to grab onto or push off from. Also, it keeps her from seeing it. Make sure the edge of the carrier is at the edge of whatever you’ve placed it on. If my husband isn't available, I use the washer, dryer, or kitchen counter. I actually do it this way a lot.

They're very attuned to your body language and voice so try to act and sound as normal and matter-of-fact as possible!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response to my dilemma!

Ah! 'Attuned to your body language and voice' is my failing. I'm always so nervous when I'm about to attempt this--and she knows it!
Part of the reason I have difficulty with this is that she reads me so well, and is very wary.

I'm alone, and I can't even ask a friend to help because my girl hides when there's anyone else in the house. In addition, I'm 81 and rather hobbled with arthritis.

But I know exactly what you're describing. As I mentioned, my carrier is always out on my kitchen table, and she's used to getting treats in it (to make it less fearful, I hope). One possibility is that if the timing is right, I can get her inside for the treats and quickly close the door.

The last time, she was sleeping in the TV room, and I brought the carrier into the hall right outside the door and upended it so that I could drop her in. I also know how to pick her up holding all four legs close to me to avoid her razor claws, and I managed that. But that depends on my being able to get close enough to grab her before she realizes what's happening.

Oh, well. Perhaps I'm the one who should be medicated to relax!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE- I found that the pill pockets come in different flavors! I've been using chicken because that's what she usually likes, but I bought both salmon and catnip flavors to try with her--she has a catnip flavored treat that she loves, so I'm hoping she'll eat these.

I also found a 'paste' that can be wrapped around meds--it's bacon flavored, and she's never had bacon, but I figure that's worth a try, too.

If I can get the gabapentin into her, I'll feel better about this upcoming vet visit.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UPDATE- I found that the pill pockets come in different flavors! I've been using chicken because that's what she usually likes, but I bought both salmon and catnip flavors to try with her--she has a catnip flavored treat that she loves, so I'm hoping she'll eat these.

I also found a 'paste' that can be wrapped around meds--it's bacon flavored, and she's never had bacon, but I figure that's worth a try, too.

If I can get the gabapentin into her, I'll feel better about this upcoming vet visit.
With the pockets too, you can use just part of one.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Several days beforehand, adjust her feeding time so she eats her meals just before you have to leave for the vet appointment. While she's involved with eating, close the door and she's ready to go!

That's what I've been doing with Belle.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for this great tip! I regularly give her treats in the carrier, and I always have my appt time days in advance, so I should be able to do this--i.e., arrange for the treats when it's time to leave.

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My carrier is left in the living room all the time, without the door on it, and has one of her favorite blankets in it. She enjoys lounging and even sleeping in it. She doesn't particularly like being 'locked' in it, but she hasn't developed a fear of it.
20230428_194445.jpg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to Amazon and enter 'rose garden sleeves' you'll get a page with gloves and sleeves that go to your elbow. The sleeves are gloves without the fingers. You may find getting a pair, worth the money, which is not a shocking amount they last forever, and wearing them when persuading your cat to get in the box will really help. They prevent the cat from scratching and biting you. As we get older those scratches really seem to hurt more and bleed more. This stops that fear/concern and will let you approach your cat with more calm confidence which should keep her calmer.

got it! Hardware stores carry them too.

Amazon.com : rose gardening sleeve gloves

I stuff pills in tablespoon of tuna, our cat likes packed in water best.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very important point. Even if your cat fights you as though you were the monster from the Everglades when you put her in the carrier, remember, she isn't fighting you, she fighting the carrier. From her perspective you are suffering from temporary insanity and it will pass. She still loves you, she just wants you to get your sanity back and forget about carriers and vets and things. When you return home, she may need a little alone time to be certain your sanity has returned and you are okay.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Go to Amazon and enter 'rose garden sleeves' you'll get a page with gloves and sleeves that go to your elbow. The sleeves are gloves without the fingers. You may find getting a pair, worth the money, which is not a shocking amount they last forever, and wearing them when persuading your cat to get in the box will really help. They prevent the cat from scratching and biting you. As we get older those scratches really seem to hurt more and bleed more. This stops that fear/concern and will let you approach your cat with more calm confidence which should keep her calmer.

got it! Hardware stores carry them too.

Amazon.com : rose gardening sleeve gloves

I stuff pills in tablespoon of tuna, our cat likes packed in water best.
Thanks for the tip about the gloves/sleeves, but I bought a pair of vet gloves (to the elbow) long ago, but I find they are too thick to give me a good sense of holding her. I also don't use a towel for the same reason. I rely on holding her closely with all four legs held close to her body--and has worked well for me.

I don't actually have fear of approaching her--I just get so anxious about the entire process, and I really try to stay calm so she won't be wary.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A very important point. Even if your cat fights you as though you were the monster from the Everglades when you put her in the carrier, remember, she isn't fighting you, she fighting the carrier. From her perspective you are suffering from temporary insanity and it will pass. She still loves you, she just wants you to get your sanity back and forget about carriers and vets and things. When you return home, she may need a little alone time to be certain your sanity has returned and you are okay.
I love the way you put this! My poor girl is a rescue--she was thrown out of a car when she was about 3 years old. My vet at the time had a small rescue at her office, and the woman who saw the poor cat get thrown brought her there. She was rather 'un-adoptable' because she was so fearful and would not interact with people. I had just lost a cat to CRF, and my vet thought she would be perfect for me--and she is. But her fear of being picked up is, I am convinced, due to being thrown from that car. So I understand that even though she loves me, she suffers from a feline version of PTSD. That's why the vet suggested I sedate her when I need to pick her up.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love the way you put this! My poor girl is a rescue--she was thrown out of a car when she was about 3 years old. My vet at the time had a small rescue at her office, and the woman who saw the poor cat get thrown brought her there. She was rather 'un-adoptable' because she was so fearful and would not interact with people. I had just lost a cat to CRF, and my vet thought she would be perfect for me--and she is. But her fear of being picked up is, I am convinced, due to being thrown from that car. So I understand that even though she loves me, she suffers from a feline version of PTSD. That's why the vet suggested I sedate her when I need to pick her up.
Poor girl. Of course that would be frightening to anyone.

Hopefully you can lure her in.

I've had good luck with pills and Churu. I put some Churu on my finger, then the pill, then more Churu. If Mags misses the pill the first time, I just add a bit more Churu.

I don't think gabapentin can be crushed up. So covering options will hopefully work best.

I don't really hide pills from my pets. I let them know that it's medicine and "a spoonful of sugar". Just kind of talk to her and let her know what it's doing. I think that might help you feel more calm and then her less suspicious.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gabapentin CAN be crushed, but the latest ones I got are capsules that can be opened and sprinkled on food, etc. She used to just love those pill pockets, but has been rejecting them recently. That's why I'm hoping she'll respond to a new flavor--I need a 'vehicle' for the gabapentin, and my girl is amazingly finicky.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. You'll note that the Mayo Clinic says the pills can be halved but not crushed. My first script was for pills, and that's what I did with them--and put them in pill pockets that she happily ate. The current ones are capsules that are to be opened and the contents are 'sprinkles' that can be put into any food--that she'll eat. That's my current dilemma--finding something I can add the gabapentin to--that she will eat.

Unhappily, I tried Churu with her a while back, and she wouldn't touch it. She is beyond finicky in terms of what she'll eat. I've had four cats, and she's the only one who won't touch tuna water, and she won't eat any 'people food' at all.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. You'll note that the Mayo Clinic says the pills can be halved but not crushed. My first script was for pills, and that's what I did with them--and put them in pill pockets that she happily ate. The current ones are capsules that are to be opened and the contents are 'sprinkles' that can be put into any food--that she'll eat. That's my current dilemma--finding something I can add the gabapentin to--that she will eat.

Unhappily, I tried Churu with her a while back, and she wouldn't touch it. She is beyond finicky in terms of what she'll eat. I've had four cats, and she's the only one who won't touch tuna water, and she won't eat any 'people food' at all.
Yes the Mayo clinic says, " Do not crush break or chew it" and then further down, "Do not open, crush or chew it " so perhaps she won't eat it as it's causing her some upset?

Hmmmm. There are different tubes. Catit, Tikicat and others that are very different in both texture and flavor.

Performative, Zoe and Vetdiet all have alternative pill pockets. Those could also be worth a try if the other flavours of pill pockets don't work? Not sure if Zoe is available outside of Canada though.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help! I have an order in for the Vetdiet pill pockets, and she actually seems to be accepting the catnip ones I just got--I've crumbled them so she could get the catnip flavor. She has some catnip treats that she loves, and I was hoping these pockets would work.

I am also getting some salmon flavor to try. And I'm hoping that eventually one of these things will work to get the gabapentin into her.

I only use it for the vet visit, so she hasn't had any for a long time.