Looking for Advice regarding De-Shedding Grooming Tools for Cats

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
I am looking into possibly getting one of those "de-shedding" grooming tools for my Maine Coon cat, Sam. 

I have it narrowed down to the Oster Shedzilla Professional De-Shedding Tool, and the Furminator Grooming Tool.  My internet searches have shown these two products to have the overall best customer reviews. 

I haven't made a decision as of yet; the price of the Furminator tool is a bit offsetting to my pocketbook, and I don't want to get something that expensive if it may not work on his hair coat as well as I'd like.  Even though I know of several groomers and coworkers who swear by it - but for their dogs.

Sam has a very dense undercoat.  A regular grooming comb doesn't do the job well for it, and I discovered early on that he doesn't tolerate a slicker brush (which I stopped using).  His fur has grown out now to at least 2 inches in length; he had been shaved by his previous owner before we got him. 

Who here has had experience with these products?  Thanks :-)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A comb should do the job, but you need to find the right one for you and your cat - the right length and spacing of the teeth.

I tried a furminator on someone's cat in a cattery (it was their furminator) and didn't like it - with a comb I can easily work in both directions (pull or push), that wasn't the case with the furminator.  Having looked online at the other tool you mention, that would have the same drawback for me.

I also found the way to deal with difficult coats was to either start at the cats' head and do small sections combing towards it's head, or start at the back and do small sections grooming towards it's tail.  Trying to do a full-length stroke before doing either of these lead to combing mats into mats and making the problem worse.

lesliecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to reply but don't know what happened.  First of all, don't wasate your money on a Furminator.  They will get some hair but are not good for under the arms, etc.(unless you've got a very placid cat).  I find that a comb is the best thing.  Get one that has widely spaced teeth.  Comb small sections at a time.  Lift the hair up to get to the undercoat.  I don't know about the other product you mentioned but I find that all those fancy things are a waste of money and believe me, I've wasted a lot of money on them.  Daily grooming of your cat would help.  I have a Maine Coon and every summer he get a Lion Cut.  Hope this helps.

bentliy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had good luck as far as maintenance grooming with Moose. He tends to loaf around and create tangles, though, which I have to pick out with a regular, small comb. It does do good to debulk thick-haired cats, though.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The furminator works well for my shorthaired cats, but it's not recommended for longhaired cats. I don't know anything about the other tool you mentioned. What do you mean by a "regular grooming comb"? I've always used a comb with wide-spaced metal tines on the longhaired cats at the shelter.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The furminator works well for my shorthaired cats, but it's not recommended for longhaired cats. I don't know anything about the other tool you mentioned. What do you mean by a "regular grooming comb"? I've always used a comb with wide-spaced metal tines on the longhaired cats at the shelter.
The furminator works good on Angel as well, & he's medeum haired. I brush him regularly, & sometimes use the comb, but he doean't like the comb as much. I start w/ the brush, & sneak in the comb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
Something like this is what I meant.

Sorry I've taken so long to reply, been very busy.

I wound up taking Sam in to work and having the groomer have a go at him.  He recieved a bath with Furminator shampoo, which worked really well on his undercoat - much of it was dead hair that was came out.  The groomer who worked with him suspects two things: 1) that his previous owner did little with him when it came to brushing him out regularly and 2) the denseness of his undercoat was actually pulling on his skin whenever any attempt was made to brush/comb him regardless of what grooming tool was used.   After the Furminator bath, Sam didn't object as much to being brushed/combed, but still put up a fuss.

Husband and I decided to shave him down a couple of weeks ago.  It isn't pretty, but he's much more comfortable.  And, guess what?  Sam lets me brush him now with no fuss whatsoever.  :-)  I'm hoping that by doing so regularly will translate into fewer problems grooming him down the road.

As for the 'deshedding brushes' - I've decided to not even bother with them.  It was just a thought anyway.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I refuse to use the furminator on my ragdoll because I read on the ragdoll forums that it can cut the fur. I use the zoom groom on her. I also have a dogs shedding blade for my German Shepherd and I've used it on our ragdoll too occasionally. She likes the zoom groom better though. 

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry if I am derailing the thread, let me know and I can make a new one.

I was wondering if I can get some input here too...

I can use a Furminator on Lox (DSH), she actually prefers it over the Zoom Groom I realised. I've been also using a balled-pin brush but it doesn't really get much hair out. Is that okay? Should I look into getting a nice slicker? Any suggestions for a DSH?