Looking For Advice...my Feral Cat Has Adopted Me

Livethedream13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really don't know what to do. I have 2 yorkies inside who are my world along with my 2 human boys. This cat started coming around in June. I live in Michigan and it is going to get really cold this winter. I made a feral cat house with a Rubbermaid container with Styrofoam insulation and straw, but she wants to be with my husband and I in the garage with the heater. In June, she wouldn't come near us. Now, she climbs up on our laps, wants to be petted, purs, and sleeps in our garage all night. Is it possible to find her a home? She has shown that she is capable of love, but I can't bring her in my home.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why can't she come inside? Dogs and cats can learn to live together. If that is not an option then could you find a home for her? She seems very friendly.

Also is she spayed? If not, your one cat will turn into many before your very eyes.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have electrical outlets in the garage you can put outdoor approved heat pads in the shelter.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring about this kitty! I found that taking care of a cat who lives outdoors can be more work, both physically and emotionally, than taking care of an indoor cat! I fed a semi-feral cat for three years, through bad winters and many worries about her safety. Two months ago, I trapped her and brought her inside. She is still skittish, but we're getting there!

This cat sounds pretty friendly, so I would either adopt her or find her a nice home. If you have any no-kill shelters or rescue groups, they could help. Of course, the best way is to find a friend or relative who wants to give her a really great home! Just my two cents!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Livethedream13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have electrical outlets in the garage you can put outdoor approved heat pads in the shelter.
We will be gone for a week and I have made arrangements to have her fed
Why can't she come inside? Dogs and cats can learn to live together. If that is not an option then could you find a home for her? She seems very friendly.

Also is she spayed? If not, your one cat will turn into many before your very eyes.

Livethedream13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea if she is spayed. She showed up in June and we feed her and now she sleeps in our garage. I have made 2 kitty feral homes.

Livethedream13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can someone please answer a couple questions?
First, what type of cat is this? Also, I am assuming she is a girl, but why would she have buldging on the back side?
20180623_233112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Livethedream13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like to give an update and hoping someone can help. I didn't want to post a new thread. My husband and I thought it was a female, but our "precious" is a "peter". He now has testicles and we have seen his penis. This is way more than I wanted to know about cats. I read that feral cats won't be super friendly (Or adopt their caregiver)if they are more than 4 for 5 months old. I have tried to introduce him to our dogs and friends and he wants nothing to do with any of them. He will curl up on my lap in the garage or with my husband. her comes at 6pm and leaves at 7am. I have 4 different beds for him and tomorrow his heated outdoor kitty house arrives. My question is, "is there any way to get a mostly feral cat to a rescue or vet to at least get seen, shots, and neutered"? What would you do?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just speaking from personal experience, an adult feral CAN be socialized. Our Rocky was at least 5 years (possibly 7) when we took him in and he became one of our most affectionate housecats!

If this cat is already comfortable in your lap, it should not be hard to het him into a carrier. Start leaving the carrier open and putting food and treats in it to get him used to it.

Check with your vet about getting him seen and neutered. Some vets won't deal with ferals, most will. At the very least, contact your local TNR group. They can get him checked out medically and neutered at low cost.

It sounds as if your boy may not actually be feral. Maybe semi-feral or an under-socialized stray? A true feral would have probably flipped out being in your garage with you.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to start feeding him in a carrier. I did this with my first feral. I chose a larger carrier than a normal cat carrier and started feeding him in this. On the morning of the appointment, I put an empty bowl into the carrier and in he went.

Yet since he is sitting on your lap you might put a towel on your lap and once he is on your lap, wrap him in the towel and place inside the carrier.

Please do get him neutered soon. They quickly mature and he will want to be out and about trying to find a mate. He may yowl, howl and start to spray. The sooner the better for the neuter.

I have socialized many older feral cats. It does take longer and they may always be skittish and shy, but it is totally possible. It takes lots of time and patience. He may never like strangers and only be comfortable with members of the household. Yet there is nothing wrong with that.

Since he wants nothing to do with the dogs, could you try to find a place for him inside your home? It seems that might get along just fine.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does sound friendly already! Nuetering him will prolly make him more friendly!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He doesn't sound feral. He was probably abandoned when he started exhibiting tom behaviors since he was not neutered. By the way, if this cat ignores your dogs that is honestly a success for cats. No fighting is awesome! Could you get him neutered? If you do he will probably be even more pleasant.