Looking For Advice From Others That Allow Cats Outside

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone , so this isn't exactly a question. I am more so looking for advice or support/ from cat owners that allow their cats outside..so an indoor/outdoor cat.
My cat will be 2 years old this summer and I've had him since a kitten. I personally believe that cats should be allowed outdoors and live much happier lives being able to go out and explore, get fresh air and not be stuck inside 24/7 for the rest of their lives. So last spring was when I introduced him to the outdoors and he of course loves it. He does not go very far most of the time just stays in a general area close by and I've only let him out supervised. So I would keep an eye on him .. I'v never let him just roam outside while I'm not home. I live in Michigan and he doesn't like going out in the freezing cold so he's been home majority of the winter. He would occasionally go out some days for about 15-20 minutes. So now that it's starting to get warmer, he is back at it and loves to go out. So my concern is squirrels. First of all, where I live we have a ton of squirrels! And my cat is very fast and crazy lol. He chases anything that moves (as most cats do) and he's caught couple birds in the past that I've managed to save. He loves to climb trees, has no problems getting down. So like I said, we have alot of squirrels here ..and especially alot in front of my home because I feed birds and squirrels. So they eat bird seeds and come here reguraly to eat. I am terrified of my cat chasing a squirrel and eventually getting too close and the squirrel turns around and attacks my baby! They have such sharp teeth I'v heard they can cause serious damage , even break a bone. And my cat is petite. So that is the big reason I only let him out when I go out with him . So I'm this crazy lady watching for squirrels and scaring them away when they come near! I'm thinking of not putting bird food out anymore only for winter which would make me sad b/c I really enjoy feeding birds and my cat likes watching them when he's inside. I really would like to get to a point where I can let him out and not be constantly watching his every move and be so paranoid about the squirrels so that way I can focus on doing other things before I have to go to work. But at the same time I just really worry and don't want anything to happen to him. I want him to be happy and be able to go outside but I don't know what to do.. Has your cat ever had an experience with a squirrel? I just really would like some input , am I worrying for nothing? Do you allow your cat outside and if so, do you supervise them or just let them be and let them come home on their own ? I am mostly worried about the squirrels! Before this cat, I had another cat that was indoor/outdoor and did not supervise him and was fine..but he didn't care to chase squirrels as much as this cat does. He is a fireball!
Please provide me with some advice or support. Thank you! Also, my cat is up to date with vaccines and is neutered. Please don't comment on how I should not let my cat outside at all . Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My neighbor had a couple of abandoned cats in her yard for a few months, and one of them apparently caught and ate a squirrel. It doesn't seem there was any impact/scratches to the cat - not that we could tell anyway. I too feed squirrels and birds in my backyard, but I never saw these cats - or any other ones that have come into my yard - even remotely be able to get near enough to any of my squirrels to catch them. But, apparently it must have happened at least once that we know of - perhaps an older or sick squirrel?

Have you ever thought of a catio? Your cat could be outside, watch all the birds and squirrels, but the squirrels couldn't get to him and he couldn't actually get to them either. There are tons of catio examples on the internet to either buy, build yourself, or hire a handyman to make.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom always has a couple indoor/outdoor cats, and feeds squirrels, and none of the cats have ever gotten beat up by a squirrel :D. One of her previous cats used to bring squirrel remains home, but we were never sure if he killed them or found them as roadkill. I think usually cats and squirrels coexist reasonably well.

Fish Em

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All the cats I had and have are/were around squirrels and they never had a problem though my girl Daley is scared of them and won't go near them.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of a cat getting hurt by a squirrel and think you may be getting more concerned about it than warranted. The biggest animal risks to indoor/outdoor cats in most places are other cats, foxes and coyotes.

I have no idea how you supervise a free roaming indoor/outdoor cat outside unless it allows you too. Sooner or later, the cat will wander a bit further and you'll have no idea what it is going on is my guess. I would not allow a cat to be indoor/outdoor if your only doing it based on the assumption that you will successfully supervise all outdoor visits, because I don't think you'll be able to do that, unless the cat is on a leash or in a catio. Allowing a cat to be indoor/outdoor is normally about carefully evaluating the risks and benefits...and then hoping for the best, while worrying about the worst -- supervision is not normally a part of it, except for the occasional effort to round up a cat when a storm is coming or something.

Last edited: