Looking for a solution to this wound...

zellbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My doll face persian will be 3 years in July and he has had this wound for over a year. At first, it looked like a scratch from wrestling with his brother, then it got larger and when he scratched it caused a hole in his neck requiring stitches. The first vet said she had no clue as to what it was (after spending too much $$$). The next team of vets are great so with a biopsy, it's a suspected food allergy and put him on special food & prednisone which wasn't working. They referred us to a dermatologist vet who said it's a process of elimination to see what he is allergic to and there were 2 choices of special food. The one we tried he does not seem to like (rabbit) so I guess it's on to the second one (duck feathers). My heart breaks for this young cat who I have to bandage his neck 24/7 to protect his neck. This has been such an expensive and taxing situation. I thought I would post a photo in the hopes that perhaps someone out there just might be of help although I hope the food allergy will be the answer but I am worried he won't eat either one.
And I could be of help to you if the special diets are successful.
E741BB61-CE19-4A9F-B36D-BCF9EB579683_1_201_a.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That wound looks terrible and I don't quite understand how it's related to food allergies unless he is constantly scratching at it. I understand why you are bandaging it to protect it, but do they have you treating it with anything? For instance, do they have you cleaning it with something like Vetricyn and then applying any type of Pet type neosporin (or actual neosporin) to it? If they don't, then I certainly would suggest doing that to try to get it to heal up unless you have been specifically advised NOT to, and if that's the case, would you mind telling us WHY you were told that (for future reference).

I do agree that cats with food allergies do tend to scratch constantly around their neck and heads, so if that's what he's doing, then I would agree that he probably should go on a limited ingredient food. My guys aren't too thrilled about rabbit either, but there are more than just one brand out there, and more than just one "unusual" protein to try. Plus you can usually get the prescription foods in both dry and wet formulas. There is duck (not feathers, just duck) and there is also venison. Some people have also resorted to really exotic proteins like kangaroo, although that might be pretty scarce right now because of the fires down under. Food trials usually take around 6 weeks per food to try to weed out something, and you cannot feed anything else (not even treats) during the process.

Because of the picture I can't tell exactly WHERE on his neck this is. I see whiskers, but not ears so seriously can't tell. Is it on his threat? Could he be rubbing against something like the edge of his food and water bowl as he eats? Or hanging his head over something that would touch this area? I ask because is it possible this is contact dermatitis from something that area is touching and not really a food allergy? IS he scratching elsewhere on his head?

Sorry for all the question, just feel like we might need more information.

On, one more thing, I hesitate to suggest this, but feeding a RAW diet could be of help here, if you really think its a food allergy. Raw food doesn't have most of the ingredients that cats are allergic to. And it comes in rabbit, venison, duck, etc. I buy mine in freeze dried and then rehydrate it, but you CAN feed it in the freeze dried state as long as he drinks plenty of water. You can also buy it frozen and just defrost a little at a time, or you can make your own if you feel confident. Some cats are reluctant to eat raw food because they don't recognize it as food, but most raw food companies have tips for transitioning to their food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long did you try the special rabbit diet for? It generally takes at least 13 weeks or more to see if diet is helping with a possible food allergy / sensitivity issue. Avoid feeding treats if you can because that may affect the food trial.

Besides prescription food, you could try a limited ingredient novel protein diet that might be more palatable and appealing to your cat (and less expensive for you). Here are some brands:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Kohapet
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food
NutriSource Pet Foods

A raw or home cooked diet are something to consider. There is a forum here on TCS where you can get more info on those.

Proteins aren't the only thing a cat could have a reaction to. Fillers such as gums and herbs and grains can cause reaction. One TCS member's cat has sensitivities / allergies to multiple things in cat food. It was a long process for that member to find foods to feed the cat.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long were u feeding the hypoallergenic foods? It can take a while to notice any difference. If you’re not Noticing improvement after a while it’s not a food allergy and I would get him back on a high quality food again. It maybe an environmental allergen.
But that wound looks intense. I’ve never seen allergies cause anything like that. It almost looks like it was burned or the skin was sliced off or the flesh is rotting. I’d say get another opinion or tell your vets the hypoallergenic foods aren’t helping or making the situation any better and they need to start looking at other possibilities.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks horrible and painful. Looks more like a ruptured abscess or some kind of infection. Could you at least trim the fur around it so that it doesn't get more irratated?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did any of the vets prescribe a topical medicine? You can use human Neosporin, but make sure it is the plain, original Neosp[orin, no additives such as pain killers, etc. Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zellbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That wound looks terrible and I don't quite understand how it's related to food allergies unless he is constantly scratching at it. I understand why you are bandaging it to protect it, but do they have you treating it with anything? For instance, do they have you cleaning it with something like Vetricyn and then applying any type of Pet type neosporin (or actual neosporin) to it? If they don't, then I certainly would suggest doing that to try to get it to heal up unless you have been specifically advised NOT to, and if that's the case, would you mind telling us WHY you were told that (for future reference).

I do agree that cats with food allergies do tend to scratch constantly around their neck and heads, so if that's what he's doing, then I would agree that he probably should go on a limited ingredient food. My guys aren't too thrilled about rabbit either, but there are more than just one brand out there, and more than just one "unusual" protein to try. Plus you can usually get the prescription foods in both dry and wet formulas. There is duck (not feathers, just duck) and there is also venison. Some people have also resorted to really exotic proteins like kangaroo, although that might be pretty scarce right now because of the fires down under. Food trials usually take around 6 weeks per food to try to weed out something, and you cannot feed anything else (not even treats) during the process.

Because of the picture I can't tell exactly WHERE on his neck this is. I see whiskers, but not ears so seriously can't tell. Is it on his threat? Could he be rubbing against something like the edge of his food and water bowl as he eats? Or hanging his head over something that would touch this area? I ask because is it possible this is contact dermatitis from something that area is touching and not really a food allergy? IS he scratching elsewhere on his head?

Sorry for all the question, just feel like we might need more information.

On, one more thing, I hesitate to suggest this, but feeding a RAW diet could be of help here, if you really think its a food allergy. Raw food doesn't have most of the ingredients that cats are allergic to. And it comes in rabbit, venison, duck, etc. I buy mine in freeze dried and then rehydrate it, but you CAN feed it in the freeze dried state as long as he drinks plenty of water. You can also buy it frozen and just defrost a little at a time, or you can make your own if you feel confident. Some cats are reluctant to eat raw food because they don't recognize it as food, but most raw food companies have tips for transitioning to their food.
x
Thank you for your reply
There have never been any suggestions to clean it and I do clip the hair around it. It is such an awful looking wound, it is located on his throat, hard for me to believe it's food allergies and why I am posting. I hope that maybe somewhere out there someone may know.
I got the rabbit based food on Saturday and he won't eat it he tries to cover it as if it's something in his litter box! So we are ordering the Royal Canin Ultamino. The dermatologist only suggested the two foods, if that doesn't work is Atopica, then an expensive vaccine and shots that we have to give. It's a process of elimination.
They have given ointments such as Mupirocin and two others but no difference. I had a friend swear by Manuka honey but it irritated the area. I shouldn't have tried it.
The first vet had me use a spray (gentaved) on the open wound, it hurt him so bad he almost went through the roof and I was a little irritated with her, I felt so cruel to hurt him.
He does not like any people food like turkey, chicken that I cook so I don't think he would like raw food. I tried some that was in a fridge in a pet store but no luck. I did buy some freeze-dried chicken and he did eat that. I will see if he can try other brands I think it has to be something new like the kangaroo.
Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
I love my cats so much I won't take a vacation as I would miss them!

zellbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did any of the vets prescribe a topical medicine? You can use human Neosporin, but make sure it is the plain, original Neosp[orin, no additives such as pain killers, etc. Please keep us updated!
I did not know that about the original Neosporin. It works for me I will try it. Thank you!

zellbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That looks horrible and painful. Looks more like a ruptured abscess or some kind of infection. Could you at least trim the fur around it so that it doesn't get more irratated?
I agree it does look like that. I do trim it he's such a trooper! Thank you!

zellbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long were u feeding the hypoallergenic foods? It can take a while to notice any difference. If you’re not Noticing improvement after a while it’s not a food allergy and I would get him back on a high quality food again. It maybe an environmental allergen.
But that wound looks intense. I’ve never seen allergies cause anything like that. It almost looks like it was burned or the skin was sliced off or the flesh is rotting. I’d say get another opinion or tell your vets the hypoallergenic foods aren’t helping or making the situation any better and they need to start looking at other possibilities.
The vet said it takes 6 weeks while the dermatologist said 2 weeks. I agree it is intense, sometimes I think there must be something living in it. Poor baby! I am on a mission to get rid of it.
Thank you!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah... that...
I would find another vet, because that just looks all kinds of wrong.
If it were allergy related, I'd expect to see sores/dry spots/fur loss in other areas, not just the one spot.
The fact that the wound hasn't healed in over a year tells me something else is going on there, possibly bacterial. I can't believe your vets haven't given you any kind of cleaning regimen, antibacterial ointments, or even pain meds.

Our Momma Teaka would periodically get sores on her neck, which she would scratch at. I would clean them, put neosporin on them, and then wrap her whole neck with a folded washcloth to keep her from scratching. The washcloth was folded very thickly, and wide enough to cover the length of her neck, the ends would get tucked and safety pinned. It was my own solution, so I really can't explain it very well. It basically looked like a very thick, wide, soft collar. She would still scratch, and the cloth would get a bit shredded, but it worked. It usually only took a couple weeks for the sores to heal over.

Your poor little guy. I can't imagine how painful that must be. I do hope you can get to the bottom of this, and get him on a healing path.

zellbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yah... that...
I would find another vet, because that just looks all kinds of wrong.
If it were allergy related, I'd expect to see sores/dry spots/fur loss in other areas, not just the one spot.
The fact that the wound hasn't healed in over a year tells me something else is going on there, possibly bacterial. I can't believe your vets haven't given you any kind of cleaning regimen, antibacterial ointments, or even pain meds.

Our Momma Teaka would periodically get sores on her neck, which she would scratch at. I would clean them, put neosporin on them, and then wrap her whole neck with a folded washcloth to keep her from scratching. The washcloth was folded very thickly, and wide enough to cover the length of her neck, the ends would get tucked and safety pinned. It was my own solution, so I really can't explain it very well. It basically looked like a very thick, wide, soft collar. She would still scratch, and the cloth would get a bit shredded, but it worked. It usually only took a couple weeks for the sores to heal over.

Your poor little guy. I can't imagine how painful that must be. I do hope you can get to the bottom of this, and get him on a healing path.
He had a biopsy which showed allergies, ointments haven't done much. He isn't in pain from it but I will ask about cleaning it his new vet is good.
I do wrap his neck with a soft cloth attached with painters tape so he can't hook into the cloth as he did before causing a hole in his neck which had to be stitched, it was awful! So far nothing has started the healing process.
Thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you tell the Vet that the Gentaved caused him a great deal of pain? There was probably some ingredient in it that disagreed with that wound. Let's see if the plain neosporin helps, and if not, others have tried colloidal silver when nothing else worked for open wounds. BTW, I'm not so sure stitches would work here as the would looks about the size of a nickel and what would they stitch. Seems too wide to pull together, IMHO.

I just found this thread that might have some helpful info in it: warning: graphic pix: Scratching Face/head Raw

zellbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Chauncey! I will attach a photo of the wound as the Royal Canin Ultimino dry food has worked! He eats the food but he is so hungry for something else he is like a bloodhound sniffing the floors looking for a spider or crumb. In a few weeks we can try to introduce something else. We feel bad for him he remembers the treats and junk food diet he was raised on, but happy this has been resolved. I am also pleased we changed veterinarians what a difference! I hope this helps anyone who has had this problem. Thank you!

Attachments