Looking for a litter that won't leave sticky clumps behind in the Litter Robot

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!

I've been dealing with an issue where huge litter clumps stick to the inside top of the LR globe. Like clumps are getting stuck on the inner part above the cat's back. I've tried setting the timer to a 15 min cycle to give clumps a longer chance to harden but it still eventually happens.

I am looking for an unscented clumping clay litter, any price point.

Litters I've tried with no success:
Fresh Step
Ever Clean (the perfect litter if it weren't for this issue!)
Tidy Cats
Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal (various)

Moderate success:
Boxiecat - The BEST clumping I've ever seen except the smells, oh god the smells. Whole house smelled like urine after a matter of days. But, it has never once stuck to the sides of the LR lol.

Right now I'm thinking of mixing Boxiecat and Ever Clean but I'm hoping there's an easier solution!

Thanks for any help!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So essentially you're looking for litter that needs to clump fast and hard? If so, believe it or not the "no name" brand of cat litter makes very hard clumps. Not sure if "no name" is only in Canada though. The only issue I've had with it is that it's dusty (it has baking soda in it).
Does it have to be clay? "World's Best" is what I'm currently using, the clumps are pretty good with that one and it doesn't stick to the litter box. It's texture/granules is similar to clay litter but more light weight (it's corn based).

Have you though of perhaps adding baking soda to the Boxiecat? Maybe that would help with the urine smell. You could also hang a sachet or place a bowl of activated charcoal right near the litter box to help absorb odors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for responding!! I don't think the "no name" litter is here (still researching though) but I've seen World's Best so that's good!

If that doesn't work I might try the baking soda route. Love the LR but I wish I knew how everyone else was combating this issue!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never used a Litter Robot, so have no suggestions to offer, however, and you may have already read this, here's what the FAQ on the Litter Robot site says about litter:

Does the Litter-Robot require special litter?
No, the Litter-Robot simply requires clumping litter. We recommend a high-quality, standard-weight, clay-based clumping litter, such as Litterbox.com All-Natural Clumping Litter. Some silica gel litter beads and crystals can also be used with the Litter-Robot, as long as they pass through the screen. Alternative, plant-based litters may also work, but these tend to form looser clumps that can cause condensation in the waste drawer. When using a plant-based litter, we recommend emptying the waste drawer and cleaning more frequently. Litters that do not work in the Litter-Robot are the strictly absorbent, non-clumping or loose-clumping litters, newspaper-based litters, and absorbent wood pellet litter.
FAQ | Litter-Robot Self-Cleaning Litter Box

Also here's the results of a TCS site search for Litter Robot. Maybe one of the threads will have litter suggestions.
Search Results for Query: litter robot

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somehow my 17 year old got a huge wet glob of poop on his tail using his new LR II and brought it to into bed with Dad.
Old cats hate tail cleanings.

Walmart lightly scented special kitty clumping is whats in ours.