Looking for a good cat tree

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love that little basket hiding spot!  Please do post some pics when they get home and test it out! 
I was looking at it last night and I have no idea how the kittens are suppose to get in the basket, but I guess I will find out this evening.
you see those two small stepping stone type shelves to the left in the photo? i think the top of the two shelves needs to be swiveled over so it's just in front of and below the basket/cubby house. does that stepping stone type shelf stick out far enough that your girls could jump from that up into the basket/cubby house?

or -- i can't tell from the photo, but is one of the two stepping stone type shelves bigger than the other? if so, maybe the bigger one should go up higher, so kitties are able/have room to jump from it and into the basket/cubby house...?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittendaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you see those two small stepping stone type shelves to the left in the photo? i think the top of the two shelves needs to be swiveled over so it's just in front of and below the basket/cubby house. does that stepping stone type shelf stick out far enough that your girls could jump from that up into the basket/cubby house?

or -- i can't tell from the photo, but is one of the two stepping stone type shelves bigger than the other? if so, maybe the bigger one should go up higher, so kitties are able/have room to jump from it and into the basket/cubby house...?
I can turn it to be underneith and see if that looks better and more usable. Both shelves are the same size.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi,

I'm looking for a good tall cat tree for my kittens and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions.
This company makes excellent  cat towers .. We bought the Katmanjaro for our cats and they love it ..  It was expensive but worth it .. This thing is well made with solid wood , it is very heavy , and nice thick carpet ..  They have many varieties at various prices .. 

http://playtimeworkshop.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittendaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so glad to see your girls are back home and settling back in. i'm sure olivia will watch dora enjoying the cat tree and check it out soon enough.

very nice pics! they're such cute little girls!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny I have 2 cats but only the boy climbs the cat tree, the girl has never been on it, but she does not like to be near him. [emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]

Last edited:

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is good that your kittys were not on the new tree for a few days. All these trees put off formaldehyde into the air and other unsafe chemicals and they need to "off gas" for a long while before they are safe for people and especially pets who are more sensitive due to their size. Do open the windows in your home for the next few weeks to decrease exposure to the toxins. 

I just bought a new cat tree myself and put it together yesterday. It came in the mail. The chemical smell was bad and I knew about off gassing too but I let my one year old sit on it last night for hours and I regret it immensely today. The tree is now in the back yard in the sun off gassing where it will stay at least 24 hours. I will bring it in and then leave it next to an open sliding glass door for 7 more days before I encourage her playing on it. I also have several indoor plants that supposedly clean this stuff out of the air. I hope this helps.

Sorry to be gloomy. I do hope your babies love the tree! I am just trying to be safe and put the word. Indoor air pollution is worse than outdoor.

aylayasmin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! On eBay there's a seller in Melbourne, Australia (ozplaza.living) currently selling cat trees of all different sizes (up to over 2m tall!) for less than $150!!! I'm buying a 158cm cat tree for $85.90 (:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It is good that your kittys were not on the new tree for a few days. All these trees put off formaldehyde into the air and other unsafe chemicals and they need to "off gas" for a long while before they are safe for people and especially pets who are more sensitive due to their size. Do open the windows in your home for the next few weeks to decrease exposure to the toxins. 

I just bought a new cat tree myself and put it together yesterday. It came in the mail. The chemical smell was bad and I knew about off gassing too but I let my one year old sit on it last night for hours and I regret it immensely today. The tree is now in the back yard in the sun off gassing where it will stay at least 24 hours. I will bring it in and then leave it next to an open sliding glass door for 7 more days before I encourage her playing on it. I also have several indoor plants that supposedly clean this stuff out of the air. I hope this helps.

Sorry to be gloomy. I do hope your babies love the tree! I am just trying to be safe and put the word. Indoor air pollution is worse than outdoor.
Quite some time ago I bought a tree from Armakat (or however it was called) and it smelled so bad I wouldn't even put it together. I stuck it up in the attic and eventually just threw it away.  So, if I had let it sit outside for a few days, it would have been okay.  I've been very reluctant to buy another tree from them, but is it the same for all of them?

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going to say yes because carpet and pressed wood products have this poison. So many other home products do as well such as sofas, vinyl products, carpeting etc. I am not a crazy health freak but I am conscious about breathing toxins-I am a licensed Respiratory therapist so I have to know about this. Plus the stuff makes me feel ill myself so imagine the effects on a little creature laying right on it.

I bet there are cat trees made of solid wood and or promising to be formaldehyde free but the cost will be higher.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Quite some time ago I bought a tree from Armakat (or however it was called) and it smelled so bad I wouldn't even put it together. I stuck it up in the attic and eventually just threw it away.  So, if I had let it sit outside for a few days, it would have been okay.  I've been very reluctant to buy another tree from them, but is it the same for all of them?
I have an Armarkat tree that I got from Amazon and I have never noticed any kind of odor on it. Even after I first got it and opened the box. 

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am going to say yes because carpet and pressed wood products have this poison. So many other home products do as well such as sofas, vinyl products, carpeting etc. I am not a crazy health freak but I am conscious about breathing toxins-I am a licensed Respiratory therapist so I have to know about this. Plus the stuff makes me feel ill myself so imagine the effects on a little creature laying right on it.

I bet there are cat trees made of solid wood and or promising to be formaldehyde free but the cost will be higher.
We bought our cat tree from this company .. http://playtimeworkshop.com/katimanjaro_cat_furniture.htm

We got the Katmanjaro Condo .. It is Solid wood , very heavy and did not smell at all .. 

But it was very expensive . We paid  a little over $500.00  3 years ago  and it still solid as a rock ..

Last edited: