looking for a drycatfood for sensitive stomach

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has been vomiting her dry food only periodically. She is fine with wet. Wet food is Fancy Feast which both my cats love. She (the cat) is under vet supervision and her vet is okay with me switching out her kibble. Is Science Diet or IAMs for sensitive stomach okay? Just need some recommendations for something not too expensive. Also, please keep in mind I am a senior on a fixed income with a part time job. So I have limited income and can't afford some of the expensive brands I have seen like Tiki Cat. Especially with 2 cats it would need to be something both of them could eat that I can also afford. Thank you for any help.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats has been vomiting her dry food only periodically. She is fine with wet. Wet food is Fancy Feast which both my cats love.
Could you just keep her on the wet food since she's fine with it and you mentioned both cats love it? Or is it too expensive since you're on a fixed income?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On a side note, she also has the stinkiest poop I have ever smelled from a cat. It permeates the entire house. I remember reading somewhere that this could be connected to a poor diet. My other cat has fairly odorless poops or at least I never smell them. But she does have problems with very dry poop so I add water to her wet food and the vet recommended I give her Miralax everyday. So she gets 1/4 tsp once a day which helps her make one solid poop rather than a series of rock hard gravel poops.

So switching the dry food could be beneficial for both cats. And yes, her vet knows about both cats and their stools and although both are in good health I hate to see them suffer. I would not want to have rock hard poop daily or vomit my food because of a sensitive stomach so am looking for a solution to help relieve them both.

Can anyone help? I have read some of the articles here and forum section on natural and grain free foods but honestly its so much information it confuses me more than helps me. I am a bit reluctant to go all natural and frankly some of the natural and grain free foods I have researched are too pricey for me to afford. Hoping someone may have some ideas for something more affordable that will help both my sensitive stomach cat and the other with the mild constipation.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you just keep her on the wet food since she's fine with it and you mentioned both cats love it? Or is it too expensive since you're on a fixed income?
I currently give them both 2 wet food meals and 1 dry food meal daily for a total of 3 daily meals; breakfast, lunch, dinner. I would prefer to keep some dry food in their diet as I believe it is a health mix of both dry and wet. The Fancy Feast is something they both love and I can afford. Gypsy, the constipated kitty does well with 2 wet meals (with extra water) and the Miralax. Priscilla, the sensitive stomach cat periodically vomits her dry food almost immediately after she eats. I know cats vomit fairly quickly when they eat something bad so thinking a change in dry food may be the ticket and help them both.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just found Hill's Science Diet sensitive stomach and skin grain free cat food on Amazon in a small 3.5 lb bag. It's their smallest and least expensive bag so I went ahead and bought it. With my Amazon card credits it only cost me $2.11 so that's as cheap as I can get. It arrives tomorrow so will be able to start giving it to her right away. Will mix in some of her current kibble with the science diet to get her used to it but have a gut feeling that she would actually be better off going cold turkey off the old kibble and full on with the new science diet.

Anyway, will report back the results after she has been eating it for a few days.

BTW-- she also has itchy skin which was really bad when I first adopted her 6 months ago. I asked her vet for a cortisome? shot a while back and that seemed to break her scratching cycle for the time being. She still scratches more than normal but without leaving scabs all over her body like she used to do before the shot.

Am keeping my fingers crossed that the new kibble helps both with her stomach and sensitive skin. I think for now since its pricey I will just give it to her and not the other cat. I Priscilla does well on the Science Diet and I continue to buy it its kind of pricey but barely affordable if I only feed it to her.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats on Science Diet and they do well, their stools are perfect and don't stink. You also don't have to feed a lot, which I like. In fact, my dogs are on the dog version of Sensitive Stomach and Skin. They had terrible rashes from some type of allergy, and I had them on Apoquel which was working. However, it was expensive and I didn't want them to have to be on medication for the rest of their lives at such young ages. Once I made the switch to Hills, though, their skin has cleared up and they are not on any medication any more.

Not sensitive tummy issues like yours, but the food did work for me, so I hope it works for you. Would love that update.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The bag is supposed to arrive today. Will let you know how it goes. I have a feeling her stomach, skin, and stinky poo issues could all be related to her diet but won't know until I try out the new kibble.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's only been 24 hours but already I am seeing small changes in Priscilla. She is very playful this morning and gobbled her new kibble up for breakfast. She is definitely having a good morning and I can see she is feeling good and has some playful energy. Normally she doesn't play much but this morning she and has that zoomies body twitching going on and look in her eyes like she wants to start zooming around the house any second.

I started her out yesterday on the new SD kibble so she has had just one day with it. But if the positive signs I am seeing continue through the next few days and weeks I will be very happy.