Look like Maine Coons to you?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were they just adopted/foundlings? If so, assume no maine coon. Peach looks to end up only somewhat fluffy - more of a medium hair. The second one, Manny, will probably just be a thick coat DSH.

However, diet will play a big part in it for a while. If the pics are a bit old and they've been on a high quality food since then, they could be fluffier than in the pictures.

They're both absolutely adorable, though, with the sweetest faces.
Did you do both pictures yourself?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merindah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are shelters kitties that I was looking at and the shelter said they are MC or MC mix. The pics are fairly recent and Peach is appx 10 weeks and Manny is appx 6 weeks.

Thanks for your comment...

What do you think about these 2?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both adorable. But again, you can't guarantee any breed out of a shelter. They just put a breed name or breed mix name on them to get people to look. Plus plenty of people think they have to have a breed to make a cat special - somehow "adorable and sweet" isn't enough for some.

Adopt for personality.
So if you're looking for a kitten, go meet up with some!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would like the orange one
Just adorable!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH my goodness, what sweet little orange babies! The little black one is just precious as well, but something about orange babies that make my heart pitter patter.
Great pics!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merindah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't picked one yet. Having a tough time choosing just 1 and hubby won't let me get 2 since we already have Libby.

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As the others have said, it is difficult to say about them being maine Coons.

It seems to me some cats may look like Maine Coons and have their traits, just by natural selection, or whatever.

My big orange guy, Taz is a case in point.

- fluffy fur, (not quite a long hair)

- 20 pounds, big, not fat

- heavy body, solid

- has ear tufts, something like a lynx

- can't tell by the tail, he's missing 2/3's or so of his

I doubt Taz is a Maine Coon but he is does resemble one.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As others have said, the only way to be sure to get a Maine Coon is to purchase a pet-quality kitten from a reputable breeder. But if you want a sweet fluffy kitten then just go meet them and let one choose YOU! LOL!!

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only reason I know is that Mama, grandma cat is definitely a Maine Coon(or MC mix.) Mixes don't always look like it.

Look at both Attitude and Nuts. They are BOTH Maine Coon mixes. Attitude has the ear tufts, the big paws, the ton of hair under their feet and in between their toes. They are both big, not very big(both are in the 10-11 lb range.) Attitude is fat but both are big, Nuts is long and muscular and except for Attitude's belly she is built as well. Out of 9 kittens only 2 Attitude and a tabby(not Nuts) looked like Maine Coon mixes but they all were. The pictures on each of their profiles and the sig are old when they were both little kittens.

Taryn

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute kittens, probably not MC's be very cute
I like the red one

Originally Posted by Taryn

The only reason I know is that Mama, grandma cat is definitely a Maine Coon(or MC mix.)
Is she a stray? If so there is no definite about her origins (unless she showed up carrying her pedigree papers). Long hair cats usually have tufts between the toes, many have ear tufts - they do not indicate breed.

Maine Coons are a natural breed, many domestics may take on the characteristics on MC's without being pedigree cats. Unless they have papers you cannot be certain of origins.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We (he stayed with my parents after I moved out) had a former stray who certainly looked and acted like a Maine Coon in every way. Except I don't think he was quite large enough (around 13 pounds when at a healthy weight). But without papers who knows? He was The Best Cat In The World, though.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the first kitten (Peach?) looks the most like a Maine Coon mix but most likely they are all DSH/DLHs.

Originally Posted by Willowy

We (he stayed with my parents after I moved out) had a former stray who certainly looked and acted like a Maine Coon in every way. Except I don't think he was quite large enough (around 13 pounds when at a healthy weight).
Not all Maine Coons are huge.