Look But Don't Touch

kattens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted to feral kittens at about 8 weeks old (they were hissing at us at that time). They are now 6 months old, both male and litter mates.
The cats clearly want to be around us. They follow us around the house, eat treats from our hands and look for us to play with them using various teasers. They love our 130 pound Newfoundland and will rub up against her and sometimes meow for her to come back inside. That said...they will not rub up against us and it is a very rare occasion (only in specific circumstances) that we are allowed to touch them. Most nights the more outgoing of the two will sleep in bed with us laying against my legs while the other will sleep in a basket in the same room.
Since they clearly like us and want to be near, how can I get them to accept our touch?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Cats cant be forced to do anything they dont want to. It may come in time. You could rub some catnip on your hands to attract them, play with them a lot and spend as much time with them as you are able.
Exactly! :thumbsup: Cats have a mind of their own that's why we love them. :redheartpump: Here is a helpful article that you may want to read: 14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

BTW, welcome to TCS! :hellosmiley: I hope you will enjoy reading some of the excellent Articles and other resources. Thank you for adopting two feral kittens. How wonderful that you share your home with a Newfie, they are such loyal and friendly dogs. We would love to see a pic or two of your fur family, you can add a pic to to this thread or post one here if you would like: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl is a semi feral and although she has lived with me for nearly seven years and was only one when I adopted her, she still runs if I try to touch her. But occasionally during the day she will come up and allow me to pet her for a second and at night loves to be pet while we are both lying down and she is snuggled next to me. I guess when I am lying down I am not a threat. In any case despite her reservations she is a great and loving in her cat.

If your kittens are not fearful of being fed or given food by you, food may be the pathway to their trust. Offer it in a spoon if they get close to you and then see if you can get them to come to your lap for their next taste. It is important while you do this that you don’t try to hold them or even pet them until they seem ready. Once they are you can try lifting them while giving them their spoonful so they get used to being picked up.

In case you are wondering, this method didn’t work with Willow because she is terrified of being fed or getting a treat. It is possible she is captured with food bait as a kitten and she sees any offering as a plot to get her.

kattens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had many cats and dogs in the past although this is a first with the feral kittens. I often wonder if it is because they are so bonded to each other. We did separate them for a bit and they started to really come around with us but then the black one (Pitch) let us know he wasn't happy after a few days by going everywhere but the litter box so we brought them back together. My new avatar is both of the boys...orange is Charlie and black is Pitch.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried petting the kitten while he is laying up against your legs at night?
I have found with kittens in general they will let you do just about anything to them while they are asleep or sleepy.

kattens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes that is one of the very few times they can be touched.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For feral kittens you are doing pretty good. Following you, sleeping with you and eating out of your hands is great progress at 4 months. It takes a while for ferals to relax and get comfortable with people - and sometimes it is only one person.

Take your time with them. It will be a mix of bribing them with treats, playing with them and ignoring them, but they should warm up to you.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feral kittens are often shy about touch. It sounds like they are adjusting, so i would just give them time. Dont force the petting, let them take their time, and come to you for physical affection. They most likely will, but it may take a while, months or even a year or two.

My white cat was a Feral kitten, and it has taken 2 years, she is just now getting affectionate. It is worth the wait :)