Long Term reintroduction success stories?

mfkennrod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I have been struggling with redirected aggression with my two boys since March 2016. We have been able to reintroduce them about 3 times, but eventually one of them gets triggered and a bad fight will occur. This is a recurring cycle. I have read books, read countless Jackson Galaxy articles/youtube, and spent a ton of money on products (feliway, calming collars, Rescue Remedy, calming treats, towers, beds) to help restore the peace. They are currently on a swapping schedule, with daily play therapy and lots of attention on their own and together when possible. However, we have not been able to let them roam the house freely. I would like to get to a point where we can at least let them roam when we are here. Their cat room is set up with all the things they like, towers, toys, litter box, blankets, beds, etc. They are up to date on their vet appointments and we are always told that they are fine medically. My husband has been saying that we should rehome one of them, but they are 9 year old brothers, and for me rehoming is not an option. They are the most lovable and sweetest cats I have ever known. They are happy, and do not exhibit any weird behaviors, and both use the litter boxes just fine. Anyone have a similar situation that can give me some sense of peace? Thank you :)
part0(9).jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There are a number of success stories on the site where angry cats did finally make it to a place of peace again.

However, since your cats are able to reach that point repeatedly, my uppermost thought is that determining the trigger(s) and eliminating that/those if at all possible is paramount to your situation, --and definitely a more positive endeavor than rehoming one of the boys.

And just a thought, if the trigger(s) can't be determined or eliminated, would it really be so bad to continue with them separated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mfkennrod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Furballsmom! I'll search the site some more. They both seem to trigger each other, I haven't been able to pinpoint one thing. Their first fight was so horrible that I think it basically ruined their bond. My husband just won't accept the situation, which now that I am thinking about it seems to be my main problem. The routine I have them in works well and I could for sure do it for as long as it's needed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Their first fight was so horrible that I think it basically ruined their bond.
But you've had successes since then where they've gone for quite a while with no fights, and this is what leads me to believe that there is something, an animal of some type, that is either passing by your house or being brought into the apartment building (depending on where you live) that is the trigger.

Cats such as yours don't rip into each other for no reason.

Anyway, is your hubby ok with them being separated?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried to find some of the positive reintro threads and of course now that I'm actively looking I can't think of good keywords to search on, or at least not that brought up what I wanted. That said, I did find a little bit, but nothing that really correlates to your situation of two cats who've had several good reintroductions.

Littermates Suddently Hate Eachother - Littermates 3yrs old (females) Indoor Cats I posted this one because I think that tray of sensory objects is simply terrific. The post just above it describes it a little more.

How do I know when they're ready?

2 cats got along fine up until 24 hours ago, now they hate the sight of one another. This is an older post and has some interesting perspectives and information.

A ArtNJ , do you recall reintroduction threads where the OP provided updates of successful reinstated feline relationships :)?