Long term low dose steroid?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't want a novel because a lot of you remember Morton. I feel our house move he has declined with eating and getting sick but also the last few months we've been here he's basically off steroids. He keeps getting very sick not eating weak and diarrhea. I feel he needs steroids again and he did SO well on half of a half of a pill like 1.25mg even half of that every day. It made him eat and just act amazing. He's been on the drug all his life and no side effects not even high bg. Cyclosporine ruined him but prednisolone it's like his body needs it..

I'm conflicted to give up the chinese medicine only route and homeopathy route and do that but add in like 1mg of pred. It's like a miracle for his wellbeing I just fear over time it will really harm him.

He has ITP but now that that is in remission his ibd or chronic pancreatitis is just awful

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long term Prednisolone can cause kidney damage and other problems, but having his kidney function checked once in a while and be seen regularly by a vet should help. You will have to weigh his quality of life versus length. Definitely discuss this with a vet, and find one that will listen to you. My vet had no problem prescribing steroids for a dying stray with oral cancer we took in, he was on them for 18 months and did very well, it was miraculous. The front office once told me about a year into it that the cat could get kidney failure, but I told them that the cat was dying, what little comfort I could give him I would, and that steroid made all the difference in the quality of his life. i'll pray for you both, please keep us informed!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's like a miracle for his wellbeing I just fear over time it will really harm him.
Not eating, diarrhea, IBD flare-ups are also more harmful in the longterm as well as in the shortterm you know.

I remember you said Morton gets a blood test very frequently. Does the vet think potential side effect of pred can happen overnight and/or not show itself in the blood test? The only thing I personally remember about longterm pred use was UTI risk but I‘m not sure if UTI risk is a bigger risk for his health than the effect of having pancreatitis/IBD flare-ups. It is another thing to ask a vet you trust, which option is riskier for a cat like Morton.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Long term Prednisolone can cause kidney damage and other problems, but having his kidney function checked once in a while and be seen regularly by a vet should help. You will have to weigh his quality of life versus length. Definitely discuss this with a vet, and find one that will listen to you. My vet had no problem prescribing steroids for a dying stray with oral cancer we took in, he was on them for 18 months and did very well, it was miraculous. The front office once told me about a year into it that the cat could get kidney failure, but I told them that the cat was dying, what little comfort I could give him I would, and that steroid made all the difference in the quality of his life. i'll pray for you both, please keep us informed!
Thank you hes been on pred for 2.5 years :(

It can be so helpful for the dying ones for sure. It's all so sad.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A low dose like that should be much better for long term use. You should follow your gut instinct. That, along with regular vet visits to ward off any problems, could work well. You know your boy better then any vet. Bless you for doing so much....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A low dose like that should be much better for long term use. You should follow your gut instinct. That, along with regular vet visits to ward off any problems, could work well. You know your boy better then any vet. Bless you for doing so much....
Thank you. I gave him a normal dose of cyproheptadine this morning at 3am and he actually ate at 530am and 1pm from his bowl and a tiny bit an hour ago and a big handful of treats just now. Maybe the occasional cypro to boost his appetite will be better than low dose steroids overall. He needs to gain half a pound for sure. He isnt awful to pet he has some padding around his stomach but I can feel every part of his spine with some pressure and his hips are bony and sboulderblades. Unfortunately even at a good weight hes so bony. Barely any muscle mass. Probably from growing up on pred. He seems better today too. I'm sure the cypro to get him to eat will help him recover faster too