Long Term Effects Of Bones On Teeth

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can anyone who has fed a raw diet, including bone in pieces, for a significant amount of time tell me their experience with their cat's teeth.

Specifically I'm wondering if you've noticed any broken or chipped teeth as a result, or accelerated wear. I'm wondering if a lot of bone chewing over time could damage teeth. Also, do you find the bone chewing to be adequate for keeping tartar off your cat's teeth, or do they still need brushing or cleaning at the vet? Thanks.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a cat or dog chip or crack a tooth eating raw, but it is a risk with large whole bones. Chicken and rabbit bones should be soft enough to not cause problems. Sometimes I give my dog a beef rib, considered a "recreational bone", one that is too hard to consume but it scrapes his teeth clean. It is however, harder recreational bones that also carry the highest risk of damage. (Dogs also break/chip teeth on Nylabones or other manufactured dental chew bones.)

My cats primarily eat crushed bones mixed into the meat and organs. The kitten gets pieces of whole chicken wings on occasion which are soft and I don't believe there is much risk to her dental health.

It seems generally to be the case that dental health has as much or more to do with genetics than diet, though a raw diet will produce the "cleanest" mouth.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't feed raw, but years ago I gave my boy Pushy a cooked lamb bone to chew on. He was very excited and chomped on it for a few minutes. It was around that time that he chipped one of his canines. I didn't see it happen, but I've always suspected it was that bone that did it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(...never feed cooked bones. They definitely get hard and splinter. Raw bones are softer and more flexible than they look.)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I know about cooked bones. I gave it to him as he was begging and he didn't really eat it, just ran around growling and nomming on it for a few minutes.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Four years of raw feeding for me, much of it with bones. No dental damage of which I am aware. Our vet compliments our cat's teeth every time. I had to wrestle him to brush his teeth, but there is so little tartar that I got lazy and stopped long ago.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have read not to give 'weight bearing bones' I do feed 1/2 a quail to each cat once a week and, chicken necks, wing tips and Cornish game hen rib bones. All of these are soft enough that the cats will not damage their teeth. I heard a 'raw expert' say that animals should not chew weight bearing bones. I think he said those bones were apt to be heavier and sometimes damaged . I always watch my cats when they chew bones. One of my cats once got a chicken neck stuck in his throat, which was scary.I think that was my fault because I had cut it in half.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone who replied for sharing your experience.